New to this forum

Wobbles

Aug 15, 2006
Bedfordshire
Hi

This is my first visit and posting / thread on this forum

My mother is 79 and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's nearly 2 years ago, she also was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a breast removed 2.5 years ago.

My father is 80 this month and is her main carer but he is in poor health himself and suffers from Emphysema. I call in every day and do what I can but my mother will not leave the house with me at weekends so my father does not get any breaks from her, we considered putting Mum in respite for a week or week-end but my father changed his mind at the last minute as he felt he was failing in his duty .

Mum has been on Aricept for around 18 months and during her 6 monthly assessment was achieving scores of around 18- 21.

For the last couple of months I have seen in her a deterioration and her mood swings are very noticeable and on her last two assessments she would refuse to answer the questions and gets very angry, so consequently she only scored 12 and is being re-assessed after 2 months instead of 6. ( The consultant has perscribed her Citalopram & Quetiapine to try to calm her )

I think the consultant may say the Aricept drug is now having no effect and take her off it

What will happen to her condition if she is taken off it as I have read reports that after 6 weeks or so my Mum will be in a position as if she hadn't been given it, I dont really understand what that means in real terms

If she is taken off the Aricept I do not think my farther will be able to cope as he is barelly coping at the moment and the consultant is saying we should sit down as a family and consider residential care for my mother. My two brothers are over from abroad this month so that is what I intend to do

Has any one any experience of what is likely to happen once this drug is withdrawn?

jarnee

Mar 18, 2006
leicestershire
Hi Wobbles,

(Great name....we had a chicken called Wobbles once !! :D )

Anyway, I don't have experience of someone coming off Aracept, I'm afraind, but I will watch your post with great interest as my dad is on it ( and recently was put on Quetiapine, too....it took a while to work into his system but it has really settled him down and the doc is happy for him to stay on the aracept at the same time, so don't give up on that yet)

So welcome to TP,

Jarnee
xxxxxxx

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Wobbles

Welcome to TP.

I can't help on your specific question but just wanted to say 'hi'. You are so clearly concerned for both your mum and dad. I hope you find time to think about yourself too! I just hope your brothers' visits go well... and that as a family, not least for your mum, you can find the right way forward which suits you all on an emotional as well as logical level....

Best wishes, keep posting....

Love, Karen (TF), x

Wobbles

Aug 15, 2006
Bedfordshire
Jarnee & Karen

Thanks for those replies - much appreciated

My mother is also on Quetiapine as well as Zopiclone as she was staying up all night and my father had to stay up with her, once she ended up going shopping at one o`clock in the morning!

The consultant has also prescribed Citalopram as she was getting a bit aggressive with everyone.

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Wobbles

My Mum is now just 75 and was on galantamine for 3 years before being taken off it last October.

The deterioration was rapid for a few months, but now seems to have slowed a bit. We have no way of knowing how she would have been without it, but it gave her and Dad a good few months of quality of life before his death almost 2 years ago.

I know it feels awful to be considering 24 hour care for your Mum, but your Dad needs to look after himself too, it may well be the best route to take, the priority is to see that your Mum is as safe and well looked after as possible.

We had the decision forced on us when Dad had a massive stroke, in hindsight, it was the best thing for Mum, although at the time we felt horrible guilt that we were somehow letting her down, we weren't, she is very well looked after and we see her as often as we like and are still very much involved in all aspects of her care.

Take things one step at a time, take care.

Kathleen

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Wobbles,
No experience of someone coming off Aricept, but have you got a social worker or cpn? Really if your Dad has his own health problems he needs input from the professionals. My Dad is in the same situation and the same age as yours, he gets totally drained with the 24/7 and he's a fit and healthy guy.
Would suggest you ring the Alzheimers helpline for info. Hope all goes well when your brothers are over and that you manage to find a way forward. I would say one thing though , don't forget it will be your Dad who makes the final decision about Mum's future. It's hard I know but it won't be a satisfactory outcome for Mum AND Dad if he doesn't. Sorry, not preaching at you but just know how hard this is from personal experience.
Take care