Post Xmas guilt rant

longacre

Feb 17, 2008
London
My mother has been away from her care home for Xmas for four days staying with youngest sister, giving my middle sister and I four days off with NO phone calls and freedom from her. Complete bliss...the silence was more heavenly than I could ever imagine.

She is now back and the constant and what seem like insistent calls started within 20 mins and have been ongoing since then to us both. I have been building up to doing a post about this, as I feel guilty feeling so irritated by it.

Having discussed this together with my sister, we are now both ensuring we have phones where you can see who is phoning and then trying to be strong and not always picking it up. We both find this horribly difficult and feel constantly at our mothers beck and call and pulled into her emotional turmoil that some days I am afraid I just resent hugely (and feel bad even typing this...). My partner is also fantastic and on days when I am down won't let me pick it up and takes the calls instead.

I am feeling bad about feeling so resentful as she is now back in the care home and although she is of course fantastically well cared for there, I never feel free of her. Although on a rational level I realise this is also about our relationship as my mother was not an easy woman pre Alzheimers...! I am finding it much more difficult to handle on an emotional level. I am also seeing my mother far more now she has Alzheimers and my stepfather has died than I have done for over 30 years which I find really wearing and often dispiriting.

When she is crying and miserable on the phone as she very often is (her husband did just 7 months ago and she is also grieving for him) I feel even more guilty for being fed up with her. But I am. Even though I am also miserable hearing her distress and trying to help her deal with it which I cant really.

I popped in to see her this morning and she was being really grumpy, bad-tempered and generally offish. I just wanted to walk away and not bother to come back. OK rant over. Thanks. :)

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Longacre

So glad you posted this. Rant away! Whilst my mum isn't in a care home (yet), she was with me for Christmas and will be until her future care is resolved. (She has been living alone). Anyway, having had the stress of dealing with the hospital where she was admitted mid December (stroke) and having secured her discharge in time for Christmas, on Christmas Eve, she was a nightmare. I had been driving up and down the M5/M6, visiting her in hospital, sorting out rellys and so on and she threw it all in my face. Said I was ruining her life. I told her I was tired and wanted to go to bed after all the driving and stress of the last few weeks and she was spouting such nonsense. The idea of her coming out of hospital was that she could have a good time as I thought it might be the last chance due to her confused state on the ward. My how she has rallied! She's not been too bad today, but is often so horrible and, as you say, irritating, that I too feel resentful. Of course you will feel guilty. We all feel guilty. Nothing we do seems to be "for the best" even tho' that's the thinking behind it. You need to retain your sanity. Keep ignoring the phone calls. And rant on here again when it gets too much. I know I will! Edited to add: I had a great relationship with my mum before her vascular dementia set in. Now she is a different person and that relationship is much changed. For you, it sounds especially difficult.

Last edited:

POPPIT

Nov 5, 2008
East Yorkshire
hello longacre, Your thread is so similar to mine, I do wonder if it is the time of year, other people say this time of year can effect people with Alz quite badly and I am now thinking that it can also effect carers. I used to have a life before my Dad died a year ago and left us to care for mum, he was tired of it and gave up in the end. I just cannot envisage another full year of just going to mums every day and want my life back.
I suppose I was lucky that I have always had a great relationship with my mum and she was a fantastic mum that is why I feel so guilty about being resentful. All we can do is keep at it and hope for the best. I do send you my warm wishes and it is so good to know others are out there listening. Take care.

longacre

Feb 17, 2008
London
Thanks so much Poppit for your lovely reply. My stepfather also just died very unexpectedly when I think he couldnt cope with it any longer with my mother. I do also think the time of year doesnt help.

But at least we can virtually help each other. Happy new year anyway!

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
My mum went through a period of phoning me many times a day and I got exhausted by the mental pressure of fielding these calls in which she was consistently terrified and confused.

However, the home's advice was stark, take your mother's phone away. "The phone causes more problems than it solves" was one carer's advice.

I could not have lived with this as Mum was always desperate when she got through.

Unfortunately, after a period in hospital last September she forgot how to use the phone at all. Now, when I visit, I call her friends on my mobile and put it on speaker phone and she talks to them that way. It is easier, but she still gets confused about who and where they are.

Each change brings a little bit of heartbreak with it, doesn't it, I tried to cope with the phone calls by thinking they wouldn't go on for ever, and indeed they didn't.

My husband fielded some, and the answerphone too. I have a clear conscience in that I never took the phone socket out, which people told me to do. I wouldn't blame someone for doing that at all, and it is one solution, but I know for me it wasn't something I ever felt I had got to the point where I wanted to do it. I wouldn't criticise for one half second anyone who did, though. It was a very tough time.

Take care of yourself x

WLL

Dec 28, 2009
Leicestershire
Don't feel guilty about a rant. I'm glad I have just read your thread, I had a rant on another thread (Younger people with dementia - abandoned by family and friends) and have been feeling guilty since, it was something I needed to get out of my system, about my husbands family and some of our friends abandoning us. The replies were helpful but simply putting it down and getting it out of my system, along with a good old cry, has made me feel heaps better. I hope its done the same for you.:)

Dottie

Sep 12, 2010
Dear Longacre, Lucille & Poppit,

As I so often find on this site I can relate to all that you are all saying with your current situations. I feel with myself that although I know it is the dementia talking with with my Mum it is still her voice, her body etc & I have such trouble convincing myself that her unkind words, her detachment, her 'un-love' etc is the disease & not her.

Thinking of you all, group hug all round.:D:D

This site has been the highlight of 2010 for me:)

Love Dottie xx

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Dottie, I've read so much on here, over the months, and not cried, though it felt like I would.
But what you just wrote 'This site has been the highlight of 2010 for me' has me in tears, and I don't know why. Or I do -- it's because I agree with you.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Hi Longacre, I wanted to reply to this thread last night but froze up with the awful knowledge that i too did not see my mum more than once or twice a year at most before AD set in, she was never interested in me and mine. Now I see her and do things for her and get abuse from her at least every week, as I travel 150 miles to see her and dad.
I can't help much but can say this, my feelings are on hold. I am cold where my mum is concerned, though not with my dad, whose grief gets to me where nothing else does.

I think maybe we don't like stuff about ourselves and how we feel, but that can't be helped, there is history that has caused the feelings. What can be helped is how we behave and act on those feelings, and itsounds as if you have a great amount of self control, ranting on here is an extremely good idea,do it again whenever you need to.

Sorry, find this so difficult, but wanted to share something with you.

Pippa

Dottie

Sep 12, 2010
Dear Sleepless,
Sometimes we need to cry to let go & often the tears come when we least expect them to because of some word or gesture that strikes a chord with us. This site for so many reasons gives us all strength & confidence to carry on carrying on. Take care of yourself & see you here on TP next year.

Love Dottie xx

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Thankyou for posting this, the phone can be my mums weapon of choice at times. I sometimes feel so guilty for not wanting to field the calls, but sometimes you have to do a bit of self preservation xxxxx