Hi this is me.

mostyhn27

Dec 14, 2010
Durham
Hi all, this is my first post here and i noticed that this room was named ' Support for people with dementia and their carers' so i thought I would tell where I am and how I arrived here, to be honest I don't get chance to tell anyone as I don't see anyone so here goes.

My mam has Vascular Dementia, she lives in County Durham and me and my family live in Milton Keynes about a 500 mile round trip. My father died exactly 2 years ago, he was on an ICU unit for 5 months as bit by bit varies organ parts had to be removed for him to stay alive until he passed away. Most people who know me mam always though she was a little cookie and a bit forgetful but it wasn't until a some months after my father's death that I realised that my mam had something wrong and maybe my dad had been covering it and caring for her for years with no one else knowing, but we managed to visit about every 5 weeks to make sure she was ok. Me the wife and our 3yr old son spent last xmas with mam, on arrival fridge full of rotten and out of date food, mouldy bread the lot! Now I'm beyond suspecting mam may be ill! I called the GP and made an appoint for mam in 4 days time and mam knew she had to tell her GP exactly what was going on but I couldn't go with her as we had to get back home to Milton Keynes and I had to go back to work. I needed someone to go with her and as an only child with no close family I had to find someone i could trust, but everyone I tried even lifelong friends of mam all declined to help, turns out been abusive, had upset and alienated all the people around her . Being 250 miles away for 20 years i had no knowledge of any of this.
In March this year mam got really bad, and as there is no one else at all to help mam and sort the situation out I took unpaid leave from my job left my wife and little boy to stay with mam in Durham, get her illness recognised, get her care and then get home to my son in a max of 1 month! Halfway through month 2 I'm still pushing and pushing the social services, and the CPN for action, for diagnosis, for care. At that time and to cut a long story short I lost my job and whilst on unpaid leave at the time hence I couldn't support my family I couldn't afford to go home to see my son at £100 in fuel a go. It was only at the end of the 4th month living with mam that I finally had a diagnosis, I finally had mums condition recognised, had care put in place, 2 half hour visits daily to give mam her meds and check she was ok, 3 days a week at social clubs, CPN popping in to check on her, all good, and at last I can go home and see my family.

I am very aware that due to mams condition she can turn nasty, but I'm only human! During that 4 months I spent sorting it all out mam blamed me for her illness, blamed me for my father's death, told me I was a disappointment, said how much she hated my wife, insulted my son (he was born with a bilateral clef and pallet and has op scars) and even thought I was trying to kill her at one stage. Almost all of that I would hear her say daily for 3 out of those 4 months and all said with venom. I couldn't get my head around mam being so nasty when she used to be meek as a lamb.

Early in November I get a call from one of the visiting NHS nurses telling me that that mum was having a bad time and could i speak to her, no probs, spoke to her, job done! Next day i hear from the NHs visitor again telling me my mam seems lethargic and drunk and she hasn't got out of bed to answer the door! I ask to speak to mam and am told she doesn't want to move from the sofa and doesn't want to talk!
The phone rings again 4 hours later and the same NHS visitor is telling me that mam has taking an overdose of paracetamol and by the empty packs 40+, she is on her way to hospital and her blood works show they been in here system about 40hrs!
'Didn't you clock this as you have seen her for that last 2 days? As a nurse didn't the lethargic thing ring any alarm bells?' I'm sure you guys know how good the NHS and social services area at sidestepping!

Soooooooo. after losing my job all I had managed to save £400 up for xmas, I run to the car auctions, buy a 14yr old car and drive the 250 miles to me mams thinking i will be back home before Santa comes and will get me xmas money back. On arrival mam had been admitted to the Bowes Lyon unit in Durham which is a mental health unit. Im told that mam will be there for assessment for about 10 to 14 days on which her care package will reviewed and she can go home with it all in place. And there amazed that at the age of 73 there is no evidence of liver damage or any other organ damage from the overdose, all good!
Mums house was in a disgusting state, rotten food in the fridge, no food in the cupboards, and yet care workers were calling twice a day! In there notes I was horrified to read
"No food in cupboards, Ann is very down, will report to office" WHY THE HELL DIDNT THEY DO SOMTHING! Turns out that the carers had been visiting twice a day, some of which could not even speak good English, staying for only 3 or 4 minutes to give mam meds then off to leave her to it.

After much pushing for confirmation mam was official deemed without capacity on the 8th (I started this ball rolling in march and it's taken this long for a rubber stamp?) of December and I was told during that meeting that mam would be going into care, and could not be allowed home in the meantime. After many conversations and cross words with the social worker she now leaves me out of the loop and has stopped informing me of what decisions they are making regarding mam. I have had to find a suitable home for mam with no advice or help or bench marks from the relevant authority or social worker after a long battle with the NHS/social I finally found somewhere suitable and mam and she will be going there on Monday 27th December. Which also opened up the new problem of finding £2000 per month to pay for the care long term, mams property is worth about 4yrs worth of care, what then?
I been here at my mams almost 6 months of this year, my son is now 4 and every night he asks me when I'm coming home, i won't see him at xmas as I would rather he went to the in-laws in Somerset with gran and gramps uncles and aunties are around him, it breaks my heart but if it's the best xmas possible for him then i recon best for him.

Everyday i visit mam she asks me 'When can i go home? I just want to sleep in my own bed, watch coronation street in me own chair' As none of the NHS staff or the Social worker have told mum anything at all and left her with the belief that she was going home at some stage I had to tell mam today what was going on and what was going to happen, i couldn't lie to her or embellish the truth any longer, i just couldn't look her in the eye and lie about her circumstances as ordered to by the social worker any longer, needless to say it was a very long upsetting and emotional afternoon. I just couldn't let her find out on Monday, they very day she goes into the care home, I had to say something to prepare her.

As i post this its now the 23rd of December, all my mam wants to do is go home for xmas, and all I want to do is go home and see my son for xmas. Neither of us are gonna get what we want, i have to stay and see this through as there is no one else who can, no family, no relations, no nowt. I haven't lived here for 20 years and hence I don't know a sole, as far as face to face conversation goes its only ever with health service peeps or mam, I aint had a live social conversation with anyone else for some time now. I am apart from my wife and little boy for xmas which is killing me, I have to sort out 40years worth of house contents, move mam, move what belongings she has into the home, fight with the social services who have applied for LPA behind my back, and have basically lied to me, find finance, still have so much to do.
I am now drinking almost every night, been here in mum and dad's house alone for too long this year and I'm not sure if i will recover from it, I can't remember how normality is! I look back on the life I had when mums illness first became evident, and how my life is now, how I am now after being in the eye of mums anger and frustration for so long, i have no confidence or self esteem left, feel so isolated and alone here.
But i have no choice other than to carry on with the situation until it's all settled as there is no one else at all to do it. The quicker I can sort mum out the quicker I can go home to my family, most of all my little lad who i miss so much.

Thanks for listening guys, i had intended just to give you a brief outline, but I poured it out, i just wanted someone else to know where im at.

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Oh my goodness! What an awful time you have had with all this.
I really feel for you, missing your wife and little boy. especially at this time of year, that would be so hard.
I have no real experience of your situation as my Mum is in the UK (Bedford not far from you in MK actually)! And I live in Australia, so haven't any practical advice but I am glad you found Talking Point and I know someone will be along soon with some help.
Please keep posting. Everyone here is is very supportive
Take care
Nanak
missing what has gone and scared of what is to come

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m really sorry you have had and are still having such a struggle . If Social Services are applying for LPA perhaps they should take responsibility for sorting out your mums house and allow you to return to your family.

It might be a good idea if you phoned the Alzheimer`s Society Helpline. Qualified advisers might be able to help you find a way out of this .

Tel. 0845 300 0336

December
Monday 20 - Thursday 23: 9am - 5pm.
Friday 24: 9am - 1pm.
Saturday 25: Closed

Monday 27 & Tuesday 28 : Closed

Wednesday 29 - Friday 31: 9am - 5pm.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome though so sad that you need to be here.

Its good that you could let go of this here on TP. I agree with Grannie G, please ring the Helpline as I am sure they can help you.

Take care

Keely

Aug 6, 2007
Hi there
What a time you have and are having. I would ring the help line and as hard as it is I would try to be a bit kinder to yourself. Sometime things are just too much and too difficult to gain the result you wish for. I find if I turn things around when I am stressed out with caring for my mum and think what would I expect my son's (I only have sons) to do for me if I was in this situation. Often the answer is I would expect for less of them than I am trying to do. Sometimes we just have to reset the priorities and put our own famuily first before our parents as difficult as this can be. I would also ask social services for a carers assesment which also takes into account your needs.
More than anything I have found that this site helps, I have done many things in my life but this dementia/Alzheimer's issue has often left me feeling just so alone and the people on this site give such support.
Thinking of you and hoping you can find a less stressful way through all of that you are facing.

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Hello,

Just wanted to add my sympathy and huge admiration for what you are doing. I'm so sad to hear you won't be with your wife and son this Christmas. I have 3 children (9, 5 & 2) and being away from them would break my heart in two. So something or someone very important would have to be the reason for any separation and it's clear you have wonderful values and loyalty to your mum. You should be very proud of yourself, and despite the sadness, the problems, the difficulties and the battles, you are doing everything you can for your mum. That's wonderful and worth admiration.

All of us here know how tough living with dementia is and how it's many faces can threaten to change / ruin lives. Your mum's suffering must be awful to watch, her living conditions appalling to discover and her poor care heart-breaking to see, but by all accounts you're on the case, and a time will come where some sort of norm will be set.

I hope that 2011 will bring that for you and your family. There will be a time where your mum's care will be in place and you can slowly start concentrating in re-building your own life again. Best wishes for the New Year, and I hope you and you and your mum get the care & support you deserve in 2011.

All the best,

trakand01

Oct 27, 2010
Oh my goodness what a horrible situation, I seriously can't believe how you must feel. I can only offer my sympathies to you and just hope and pray that you get home for a wonderful New Year, if not Christmas.

Hang in there, all the best, keep posting!

Sarah

mostyhn27

Dec 14, 2010
Durham
Thanks for all your kind words, been a busy morning here. Have moved mams stuff into the home this morning was very hard to choose what to take as mam has a fair sized 3bed house with over 40 years of belongings with both her things and dads things. Mums room at the home it prety full with her bits and bobs but on getting back to the house I doesnt even look like I have put a dent in the volume of belongings here.
I just dont know what to do with it all, there is so much stuff! I know i have to try and be practical minded about it , but also cant bear the thought of clearing all these belongings my dad worked so hard for all his life. Really dont know what to do with it all..............

... all these belongings my dad worked so hard for all his life. Really dont know what to do with it all..............

For furniture, have a look at http://www.frn.org.uk/directory/north_east.asp and see if any of those organisations could take it away to offer to people who are in desperate need. When volunteering at CAB I've seen the sort of help they can give (eg to the Asian girl who'd just got a council flat after sleeping on friends' floors for a year after having had to leave home because she didn't want to marry the chap her parents had chosen).

Apart from that, charity shops for clothes and "bric a brac", but it's all very difficult. I'm living with Mother in her home to care for her, and we haven't cleared out much of Father's stuff, a year to the day since he died. (Except 72 pairs of socks to textile recycling, etc!) It's the papers that are so difficult to decide about - college notes from 1941 etc.

Good luck with your horrible situation. Keep on breathing, that's the important thing. Best wishes for 2011. Pam

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Mostyhn,
Noticed you were online and wanted to send my very best wishes to you. I read your thread yesterday and I just couldn't think of a way to help you at this time. I am sorry that you are so alone with your burden but wanted to say that I admire you and believe one day in the future your family will be very proud of you.
Jancis x