You know it will come, but nevertheless it is a shock

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Just a brief update.

Almost all of the probate things are sorted now, just one final financial thing, so we should be clear by the start of next year. So much paperwork.

I learned this morning that the manager of Jan's care home has been promoted and moved from that position. I was praying all along that she would remain in post as long as Jan needed her careful management - perhaps prayers can be answered, after all.

I'm going to go to the home for the first time since Jan's death, tomorrow, to thank the staff once again. This is the first time I have been able to bring myself to make the journey that I made so often. I've gone from being eternally - so it seemed - on the road, to hardly driving at all now.

As happy a Christmas as can be managed to everyone on Talking Point.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Thanks for the update, Brucie. Glad you're nearly through with the paperwork, and feeling able to return to the care home once again to thank them.
I would like to send you my best wishes for Christmas and hope that 2011 is a good year for you, in every way.
sleepless.

Rosie

Jun 10, 2004
South East Wales, UK.
Dear Brucie,
I hope the visit to Jan's care home goes ok, emotionally draining no doubt, but I'm sure your strength will carry you through. Best wishes to your self & family for Christmas, will be thinking of you & all the good people here on TP, take care Rosie xx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
This will be a time of firsts...first time back to the Care Home, first Christmas without..... It won't be easy but we will all be behind you giving you as much support as you need.x.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
the manager of Jan's care home has been promoted and moved from that position. I was praying all along that she would remain in post as long as Jan needed her careful management - perhaps prayers can be answered, after all.

Providence Bruce. :)

Thanks for the update.

I hope tomorrow isn`t too painful. xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Good to hear from you Bruce....:)

I too hope that tomorrow isn't too painful for you.

Wishing you a peaceful time over Christmas..and a brighter New Year.

With love xx

POPPY67

Mar 5, 2010
yorkshire
Dear bruce and jan you are in my thoughts is send you love and supprt at this sad time I been though the same in the week or so but I still think of you all ! Hugs to you hope you keep strong

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Genuine best wishes for tomorrow, Bruce. Something I still haven’t managed to do after all this time in spite of odd moments of good intentions and bravado and relied on sending in letters of gratitude – when I had mere months of mum in care and the wonderful staff deserved more from me. :eek: Well done, you.

Those drives over so much time must have been so painful, I suspect tomorrow’s might be the hardest ever. Take care.

Love Karen, x

POPPY67

Mar 5, 2010
yorkshire
Bruce I'm so sorry did not read all the posts so did know that u had lost jan sorry me and my size10 sorry sorry I feel awfull

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Bruce,

Safe journey today and glad weather is OK.
Thinking of you and I know it will be hard. I'm sure you made a lot of good fiends at the home over the years and if it as me would find it harder NOT to go back and see them all.

Keep smiling and we must catch up for a glass of mulled wine soon :)

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Bruce

(((hugs)))

It took me about a year to go back to Mum's home after her death. I thought about going sooner but my OH was suffering severe depression at the time and I just couldn't cope. HOwever when I got there, although there were a few tears there was also a lovely feeling of "coming home".

The manager of my Mum's home was promoted too...and my good friend the deputy became the manager, a role whe was acting in at the time of Mum's death as C, the home manager, was looking after another NH at the time which was having problems. She came in though, the night before Mum died, and spent some time with us and Mum, to say her goodbyes too.

When, after almost two years, they managed to throw a leaving party for C, I was invited along. It was lovely to be able to express my thanks to my "family" for all that they ahd done.

Thoughts are with you...travel safely,

Love

Mameeskye

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dearest Bruce, thank you for the update.

I do hope that today went as planned and was not too painful.
Take care of yourself. Love n'hugs.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Dear Bruce
I hope today wasn't to painful for you

Ive got everything done re mums probate and will :) it does take time doesn't it

Thinking of you
XXXX

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Thanks so much everyone - and especially Connie of course!

Today went quite well though it was very strange for me.

Setting out on the drive I had done so many times, I had to keep reminding myself I would not see Jan when I arrived.

Such a long drive! How on earth did I do it at least three times a week, for nine years?

When I arrived, it brought a huge lump to my throat.

All the carers I encountered immediately hugged me, even the blokes, and that was nice.

I met the new manager and she is very nice - but not the manager who managed my Jan's care.

I talked to representatives of the staff [chef, nurse, carers] because I want to give them all something - maybe a party. The manager wanted me to talk to them directly as they are not really supposed to receive gifts, so what she couldn't see, she wouldn't know about. Good pragmatic thinking.

They will phone me later in the week to let me know how I should handle it.

Then it was on the road again, but with a difference.

Last week one of our younger neighbours at our old house died suddenly - it really shocked me greatly. She and her husband had been very supportive when I was struggling to keep Jan at home, so I wanted to pay my respects at her funeral.

Because I overstayed at the home, I needed a direct route to the church, so used satnav. That took me along many of the roads I would traverse to and from Jan, and it was a bit wrenching.

The service was lovely, held in a small country church, followed by a burial - I haven't been to one of those in many years [Jan's Dad's I think]. Then to the pub where I met some of my old neighbours.

Afterwards, back to my present home, again over many so very familiar roads I had driven over with Jan through many decades.

Jan's all around me.

Always was.

Love to you all.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Bruce,

Jan's all around me.

Always was.

And still is and will always be. You shared such a life together. Be happy for that and for the love you shared for the time that you had with Jan.

You've had a long and gruelling day with a lot of emotional stuff to deal with...too much for one day :eek:

Allow yourself some space and time to let this settle.

Love xx

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Quite a day Bruce, lots of emotions thrown in with events. I do think it is good to revisit (when ready). You must have grown so close to some of the carers. They become family.

The manager wanted me to talk to them directly as they are not really supposed to receive gifts, so what she couldn't see, she wouldn't know about. Good pragmatic thinking.
Glad you found a way round that. Gifts, even as token are such a good way to say thank you.

Hope you get your feet up tonight......
Cheers
Craig