Resumed eating

Badge

Sep 25, 2010
Watford
Hi,
Just wanted to give a little bit of hope in the same way as people on here have done for me. I posted in October when feeling very worried because my mum was not eating and hardly drinking and I felt she could not survive. I read someone's post which said that their relative went through periods of this anorexia and came out of it, and felt a vague flicker of hope. It's been a long, slow process and has involved huge amounts of care, nurturing and perseverance by the wonderful care home staff, but Mum now drinks well, accepts soup and some pureed food, and amazingly has started picking up and eating some solid food by herself- yesterday I watched her pick up and eat three small slices of chocolate cake! One of the reasons for this turn around was that the staff, even though busy, offered things like Complan outside normal mealtimes and would try to encourage Mum to drink whenever they passed by. They never gave up. I know not everyone will start to eat again, but just wanted to share, like that person did with me, that it can happen. All the very best, Love Alison xx

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Alison, what wonderful news about mum. You must be so encouraged that she has managed her chocolate cake, and to pick it up and eat it herself, I bet you could hardly believe it!!

Thank you for sharing this, it's encouraging for those who are in a similar position to yourselves, but also very educational for someone like me, just starting out on the road to....I don't know where!

Long may your mums' improvement last, I'm sure you treasure each moment with her.

Love to you & mum, Necion. x

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Dear Alison,
It is lovely to hear such positive news and as you say, all thanks to the wonderful care home staff, and don't discount yourself as your presence is all part of the TLC.

Badge

Sep 25, 2010
Watford
Thanks for your replies Necion and Jancis, it is nice to have something positive to pass on, and all the very best to you and yours
Love Alison xx

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Thats wonderful news Badge .

Am so plesed that the staff worked with you and persevered with mum.

I can just picture your amazement and joy of you watching mum pick up and eat her cake for the first time in a long time

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
What a lovely post, Alison, I'm delighted that things are working out. What wonderful, helpful staff they seem to be, and don't give up. I hope things continue in this vein.

Mary
x

Meercat

Aug 13, 2010
Thanks, Alison - not at this stage but shows how, with the right care, your loved one one can pull through some hurdles.

nocturne

Nov 23, 2009
Yorkshrie
I'm just going through a nightmare situation with my mum who stopped eating and drank so little she has ended up in hospital thoroughly dehydrated and struggling to swallow anything. I have been feeling that it is the beginning of the end for her but your post has given me a flicker of hope. Maybe if the hospital can work on some level of recovery of the swallowing mechanism, she might some day start to eat again. Thanks for posting.
Jan

Badge

Sep 25, 2010
Watford
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Jan- so sorry to hear what you are going through, I have tried to PM you, but my computer is playing up and you may receive the message loads of times or not at all- sorry!
Love Alison x

RN131

Sep 25, 2010
Cyprus
not eating

I read your post with interest. I am going thru a similar sitation with roberto barely eating for this past month. Well, he had acute dirrhea most of that time, possiby due to 10mg Aricept,recently reduced to 5mg. The diarrhea has now stopped. however, he is barely eating anything. half a mug of soup/day. Two tablespoons of yoghourt yesterday.. Drinking only a little water. Is this then one of the symptoms of dementia? He was diagnosed 2 months ago with vascular dementia... He has lost at leat 7ks. At least the rolls of fat around his waist have gone-whch is good. however, I feel concened about the long term. He is at home, not in hsopital. If necessary, i could plce him in a care home here in Cyprus.. For a short while if need be..e.g. one month.

sharina

Mar 17, 2010
Not Eating

For all those who have relatives not eating you could ask their psychiatrist to prescribe Mirtazapine.It seems relatively harmless for an anti depressant but has weight gain as a side effect.

Badge

Sep 25, 2010
Watford
Christin- you're welcome, it's what others have done for me!
RN131- sorry to hear you're having similar problems. I am not a medical expert but have heard through this forum and from the care home that it is a fairly common occurence in people with dementia. From what I can gather it is vital to keep up the fluid intake to prevent dehydration,and it is worth offering food replacement drinks as well as water. I hope things improve for you and Roberto soon,
Love Alison x