Hi again

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Hi,
I suddenly remembered a short while ago that there was this section here on TP for afterwards. I had forgottton that and after a few threads on the main section I sort of felt I could not keep posting about dads death with so many looking for hope and guidence so I just got on with it.

Dad died back in July. He had had a good life for the most part and lived to 93 but the worst thing is the horibleness of his last year wont go away. So many sad and difficult times in that last year and we all doing our best to make him feel loved and cared for. SO heartbreaking. I am also tormented by the fact that he was not really able to communicate so well so I am not sure if I/we did all that he might have wanted, especially towards the end. The last thing he said to me that made sense was "Dont go" . He said it one morning a few days before he died, he had been getting weaker and weaker. It seemed to take a big effort on his part to say those two words. I had to leave for work that day but our lovely carer was with him so I said that to him, and that Id be back. I hope he understood. But it reminded me of all the other things he might have wanted to say but couldnt. He didnt say anything much after that, though I spent most of the next few days with him and was with him when he died. I talked to him and reassured him we loved him and held his hand and stroked him. But it was a very tough few days for him, and us. I immersed myself in work since then to blot out the torment and am now just finished a big job. I am better able to grieve now, to handle it and not fall apart. I try to remember all the great times he had - the great life he had before the last five years or so when the dementia crept in. Even through most of those he was able to communicate a good bit. But the last year was horrible. We couldnt manage him in his own home any more as it had become too stressful trying to ensure there was someone there all the time. and he was getting more agrressive and hard to manage. The care home looked after him very well but he still had a hard time letting others look after him and he was hard work for the staff. heartbreaking. But even so he had become such a big part in my daily life and I miss his daily presence in my life. I am happy his torment is over and I have to try to get the good memories to replace the bad. Its not easy.
Thanks for listening -
Helen

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hi Helen,

I am trying to come to terms with my husband's passing. He was diagnoised age 56 and passed away when he was 62.

As we are a very close family, and the Grandchildren are the ones who sit and talk about their Grandfather and they have such beautiful memories.

During the grieving time I have to remember they are also grieving but they bring back pre Alzheimer's time.

Although Peter has left a big hole in our lives, it has been filled with so much love.

I, like so many hate this herrendous illness that affect the family.

God Bless
Christine

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen

It`s good to see you back on TP.

There will always be a place for you here, no matter where you post. I remember your early posts about your dad taking long walks with his prayer books and how well you cared for him.

He lived to a good age. It`s so sad he was affected by dementia during his final years but we have no choice in the manner of our passing and have to accept what`s given.

Keep posting Helen. xx

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I lost my mum in September at the age of 90. People always used to say 'that's a good age' but I don't think any age is good if your health is as poor as hers was. It was very hard to watch her decline and harder than I anticipated when she finally died, so I really feel for anyone who has gone through or is still going through this torment with someone they care about and for.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello
July is not so very long ago ,
Please dont feel that you cant /shouldn't post on the main support section , about your thoughts feelings .

We are all here for support and to support each other.

My mum passed In August , like you I had to guess mums needs.

The regrets fears and worries you have are normal , I have them too , but we can only do our best
And you did your best . Dont ever doubt that

This is a horrendous illness that robs sufferers and carers alike of so much .

xxxx

Last edited:

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Dear all,
thanks so much for the support. It is always so reassuring here on TP. So many words of wisdom and comfort and kindness - they bring tears to my eyes, but tears are good I know. And it will get better.
Thanks again everyone with all my heart
Helen

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I'm sorry for your sadness, Helen, but can't help thinking how wonderful it was that you were with your dad at the end. He was blessed to have your love and devotion.
Love Deborah x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso