my sleeping mother

happisoo

Dec 10, 2009
north wales
My mother has what is termed stage 5 dementia. Recently she had a tummy upset, and huge bloated stomach. This has put her off her food and she seems scared to eat as it upsets her tummy. She has gone from being a rather frustrated and active - if restless - woman to extremely sleepy, spending hours during the day/night asleep and occasionally waking up and asking odd questions. The questions dont bother me just the amount of sleeping she is doing over the last 3 days. She's not eating much at all and I'm worried there are no nutrients or healthy bits getting to her brain. She falls asleep with a cup of tea in her hand in a second and is ignoring her favourite biscuits!! Any one else got any ideas?
:)

trakand01

Oct 27, 2010
Has your mother ever been tested for an underactive thyroid? My grandpa has it, and the change in him (both ways) was remarkable. He'd always been a very alert man, very active and astute, and then all of a sudden he became clumsy, bloated right up and slept a lot. He was confused a lot of the time and once on holiday in France fell into a bush on the way to the toilets. A passing woman had to help him out and she must have thought he was drunk!

He went to the doctors and a simple blood test showed up an underactive thyroid. Medication changed him immediately.

Good luck, hopefully it's nothing like this but it's always worth checking. xx

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
Ensure plus

Hi, perhaps you could ask your mums GP if they would consider prescribing the above milk drink with added minerals / vitamins. I believe this costs about £5 per time but can be prescribed if your mum meets the necessary condition. I found that GPs are reluctant to give this but if you present a good case the drink which comes in different flavours is a real boost. Good luck.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello
It can take a while after an illness or infection for a person with dementia to recover, but I am wondering if mum has another infection such as uti ( urine tract infection) so maybe get sample tested, mum mostly fell asleep like your mum is now, when she had uti

Fluids more important atm but do have a chat with gp bout how your mum is now . Also perhaps ask for meal replacement suppliments , these are high calorie n packed with goodness .

Hope your mum is better soon.

happisoo

Dec 10, 2009
north wales
Has your mother ever been tested for an underactive thyroid?
No but I have!! We joined a new surgery and had blood tests done. The doc says i have hypothyrid but nothing showed up on mum's.

Maybe will go back and have a check - dont find docs very helpful xxx