Dismissed!

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I thought it would be a good idea to scatter my parents' ashes in a place where we could go for holidays but my mother chose the garden of the crematorium where we never go. At my father's funeral my foster-nephew said it would be nicer to have a special place, but she said he is with us everywhere.

My grandfather's ashes were scattered on top of Cader Idris, where they had been for several holidays.

Lila

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
I went to a funeral recently, and this poem was on the order of service.

What is Dying?

A ship sails and I stand
Watching till she fades on the horizon and someone at my
side says 'she is gone' Gone where?
Gone from my sight, that is all.
She is just as large as when I saw her.
The diminished size, and total loss of sight is in me,
Not in her, and just at the moment when someone at my side says 'she is gone,'
there are others who are watching her coming, and other voices take up a glad shout, ' There she comes!' ... and that is dying.

Bishop Brent

Hope you like it - I find it very comforting.

Carol

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Thank you Carol for directing us to the "Joy of Living". I have recited it at the funerals of two of my mountaineering friends killed in climbing accidents and in both cases it was greatly appreciated by the bereved.

My ashes will hopefully be scattered on the North Ridge of Tryfan in Snowdonia so that anyone wishing to visit the spot will have a beautiful view of the Ogwen valley.

Dick

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Dick
my ashes will be scattered at Martindale at the end of Ullswater.
Beautiful view across the lake and where as lads we marched up the Hause every Sunday morning, on church parade to Martindale church
Norman

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Carnforth Reminiscence Project

Dick, Norman, especially.....

Stopped off at the new 'Visitor Centre' for Carnforth Railway Station ... more famous today for being the setting for 'Brief Encounter' (Lean and all that? - don't do films.......) but what a fabulous history of 1940s....... and then the volunteers and 'non-volunteers'(!) during WWII.... whilst in South Lakes still felt a shudder the odd times the RAF trainers flew over..... so peaceful, so beautiful.......... so worth defending.....

TF, x

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
The R A F jets fly over the Lake District now,from I Norfolk I believe.
Did you go to Steam town?
Are you going to the North lakes ?
Norman

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Dick, Norman, and especially anyone who does not yet 'know' the Lakes - I feel I should have started a thread in the Tea Room... the likes of which still thrive in the 'Lakes'!!!! Oh, to be away from the neon signs of 'Drive'Thru's'.... and mass-manufactured calories..... to sit in a cafe with home-crocheted mats on the table...to enjoy nothing but silence..... 'cept geese waking you....

I live in an urban/suburban area ... to be in a place where the 'Market Hall' is still the hub of a community and no-one dreams of calling up tesco.com..... no retail parks.... (or at least they're well hidden!!!)....

Dick, I could tell you of trips over many years to Ambleside, Bowness, Keswick, Hadrian's Wall etc etc etc .... this was a different one..... tottering between Lancashire and Cumbrian border .... and magical too..... the trip by train over the Keer and Kent estuaries - the beauty and history of Levens Hall (Kendal) and the finest topiary in Europe......my favourite place in all the world? - Allonby Bay .... the Cumbrian coast is so overlooked....... AONBs... NTs...... no 'Kiss me Quick' hats, no tacky souvenirs......

The Lune Valley alone inspired many poets and artists .......

Here's a draft... (Me, not Wordsworth!!!!!:p ):D :rolleyes:

Where the Rain is Gentle

It bathes the land
And feeds the lush of green
Where August lawns are scorched
Elsewhere seen

It melts away
Kilns built for lime
But so, so softly, and so sublime

But deters the quick
Of tourist beat
And envelops souls
Who need retreat

Those keeper clouds
Atop the fells
Swathe a land
Where no-one tells

Why folk return
Again
Again
The secret
Must be in the rain!

Just to get back to my original thread :)o ) 'dismissed' again by mum on our return.... so euphoric about a really good break for us as a family.. perhaps I should just stop worrying so much - if she thinks she can cope without me, perhaps she can????

Love all.......

(Oh, and Dick, the wood panelling in Levens Hall was brought to Cumbria from Warwick by canal boat.... 19th century history is maybe just my thing, living as I do so close to the 'Big Ditch' (Manchester Ship Canal) !!!):D

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Dick,Karen,
My favourite spot is Penrith to Pooley Bridge, down the side of Ullswater through Howtown and up the Hause to Martindale and the "New "parish church of St Peter and a short distance from Hallin Fell.
This is where most tourists stop, it does look like one cannot go on futher but that is a shame, you can.
Carry on to the old church of St Martin,this old church was in existence in 1220.
In the church yard is "T he old Yew tree"age about 1300 years.
Of course one can always catch one of the lake steamers MV Raven or The Lady of the Lake from Pooley Bridge to Howtown.
They are 19th century steamers built near Glasgow,transported in sections by rail to Penrith then by horse dray to Pooley bridge and assembled,launched in 1887 and1889.
They were converted to diesel fuel during the 1930s and have completed some where around 112 years service on lake Ullswater.
The Lake district is a place of peace where you can recharge your batteries,worlds apart from the city where we reside.
Norman

Ps I think this should have been in the tea room!!!!!

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Karen, Norman

My memories are of the high fells, Bowfell, Langdale Pikes, High Street etc. We all have special memories.

I live in a lovely rural area but unfortunately like the rest of you my main residence is AD land. Oh how I long for peace and solitude. "And envelops souls
Who need retreat", oh please, please, please!

Thanks for the memories. Sorry I have had a bad day.

Dick

magpie

Jul 21, 2006
Bradford
A couple of years ago, when the arthritis in my knees meant I couldn't keep up with fitter friends, I rejoined the Youth Hostelling Society and started walking alone. I can go everywhere I used to go - given time! Whenever things 'reach a point' I drive up to Buttermere or Honister Hause and walk the western fells for a day or two with nothing but the weather for company. Complete joy!