Mum's CHC assessment today

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
It does seem a bit arbitrary and I wouldn't mind betting some of it depends on how much there is left in the pot, and what time of year it is. Or am I being too cynical?

Just because you are being cynical doesn't mean you are wrong! It shouldn't depend on how much is in the pot - if someone meets the criteria then they can't 'officially' be refused on the grounds of cost - but I think they frequently are.

I have even heard the opionion that you have more chance of getting awarded CH after the person has died, as the PCT know exactly h0ow much it will cost them. They have no way of knowing how much the bill will ultimately be when someone is still alive. Having said that, people who are awarded CH sometimes have it withdrawn on review which must be devastating when you have faced a huge battle to secure the funding in the first place.

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
I'm so glad you got a good result, Mary-Ann. Like you, I .was noticing a pattern of the carers saying lovely mum was; that she smiled a lot (???Not when I'm there???); was very easy to work with; totally compliant; not emotional anymore...etc.

I had to drag them back to reality and remind them that these good days were few and far between and that she's still really emotional etc. Then they would agree with me.

I feel sorry for those who trust the system. If left to the NH staff, the assessor would have left wondering why she'd been there in the first place. Basically, for a someone who's just fine, except she's incontinent. My research and planning (all advice taken from TP) went such a long way on Monday, and for that I am so grateful.

I sent an email yesterday to the assessor stating that I want it on record that the care home's weight figures are not credible, and that I want them to take the hospital figures instead. Otherwise, the false information given on Monday suggests mum's weight is stable (loss of 5g over 4 months), whereas the correct info suggests mum has lost nearly 11kg in 4 months, which shows a marked deterioration and is anything but stable.

Good job I took notes from mum's records 2 weeks before the assessment. Always have to be one step ahead...!

I'll update but don't have much confidence...:(

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
Good luck Annie, I really hope you get the result you deserve. It is such a struggle to keep up to date with these processes and I really feel for people who have no one to help/advise them. We have the collective TP experiences to draw on......and what a wonderful resource that is!!

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I wish you all the best in getting cc.

In an ideal world it wouldnt be such a fight to get this and other help thats so desperately needed

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951