Care

barker

Jan 22, 2006
I may have to go into hospital soon and may be off my feet for a few weeks afterwards. My partner cannot possibly be left and there are no relatives to 'take him in'. We have had respite care in the past to give me a break, but this costs nearly £400 a week. Will we be expected to use respite care in these new circumstances, or is there an alternative? and who pays?:mad:

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Barker,
I'm not certain, but I have a feeling that if your husband is self funding you may have to arrange respite. Do you have a CPN/care co-ordinator to discuss this with?
LoveHelen

wendy43uk

Dec 22, 2005
sheffield
i use to work in the communtey care ofton when som ones wife was in hospt ital or just got home they would have carers sleep over and visit 4 times a day or live in ask the socal worker

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
My Mum is presently in respite to give my Dad a break and he pays nothing like £400. Would direct payments not cover the cost or at least some of it.

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
we pay about £460.00 per week for my sister as she is self fun ding until her savings have gone down to the limit. make sure you spend your money while you are young, we are,

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
The respite place where my mother went was £550 a week. She would have refused to go if she'd known that.

barker

Jan 22, 2006
Many thanks for all your replies.

We looked into direct payments but they were only donating £1.40ish to my £28..00 ish for a sitting service (4 hours), which was priced at £12.50 an hour. So I also had to pay the shortfall of some £5 an hour.

We are self-funding and the only thing that worries me about spending his money quickly, is the fact that we have no idea of the duration of the illness.

We do spend money on holidays but its just a case of moving our problems to a different venue; it is quite honestly not much of a holiday for me.

We do have a CPN and a social worker, but chocolate teapots spring to mind. They are pleasant and well-meaning but not very good on the 'follow through'

Once again, thanks to all.