I don't want any more of this.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
After months of trying I think mum has finally got a respite place in a nice EMI nursing home this weekend. I don't know how long for but after the last few years and especially the nightmare months since last November I hope it is for ever. I don't care if people think that sounds bad, I want to put something on here to let people know that we are not all lovely caring people. Sometimes we just don't want to do it any more, and that is the truth.

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Dear SM, I just want to send you a hug. You are a caring person, but you are tired and you need a break from it all. I do understand, I wish sometimes I didn't have to do all this. And I know that so many cope with so much more than me.

Please please don't put yourself down.

xx

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Sistermillicent, hi
I am so glad that you have respite organised and at a nice place too, I totally sympathise with your sentiments and hope that she settles and you get as much time as you need to get your head together, if it's for visits because she stays there then you have done a wonderful job.

Take good care of yourself with love from Jo

ChristineR62

Oct 12, 2009
NW England
Sistermillicent, don't feel bad about reaching breaking point. Everyone has one, and when you get there, you have to get help, for your own sake as much as that sake of the person you're caring for. Your personal resources and energy are exhausted, so now you're doing the best thing for your mum and taking her to a place where she'll be well cared-for.

Sending you a big hug.

Love
Christine
xxx

POPPY67

Mar 5, 2010
yorkshire
hi

hi dont worry we all feel or felt like tis at some time my dad was same back in feb he could not take anymore it was either mam went in to care or dad would not be here now !!!! so SS took it out of dads hands nad mam ended up in an EMI care home:(

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
I don't care if people think that sounds bad, I want to put something on here to let people know that we are not all lovely caring people. Sometimes we just don't want to do it any more, and that is the truth.

Dear Pippa

Even lovely caring people cannot work miracles, and that is what is needed sometimes for us to carry on.

After months of trying I think mum has finally got a respite place in a nice EMI nursing home this weekend.[/QUOTE}

If you weren't a lovely caring person you wouldn't TRY. I hope the respite works out and then perhaps you will be able to find a way forward.

Take care of yourself as well
Mary
x

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Pippa, you are a loving caring person. I hope that you are able to find a suitable care home for your mum. It sounds as if you have done everything you can to care for your mum. Please let us know how you are getting on.

wispa

Nov 5, 2009
sistermillicent.....do not be so hard on yourself, this disease is so hard to cope with and you sound like you are doing a wonderful job, but there comes a time when in certain situations it is just not possible to continue to have 100% responsability anymore.

My Mum was admitted to an EMI Residential Care Home in Sept and overall it has been the best thing to have happened, even if it was a very rocky road to get there (to say the least:)).

Only people on here know how hard it is to care for someone with Dementia and the trials and tribulations it brings on a constant 24/7 basis.......so very hard to cope with:(

Do not think you are an uncaring and bad person for feeling like you do, it is just that you seem to have reached breaking point. Anyone who is walking a similar path to yours at the moment will know exactly how you feel and will have felt or will feel the same themselves at some point. These feelings do not make you an uncaring person!

X

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
sistermillicent.....do not be so hard on yourself

Do not think you are an uncaring and bad person for feeling like you do, it is just that you seem to have reached breaking point. Anyone who is walking a similar path to yours at the moment will know exactly how you feel and will have felt or will feel the same themselves at some point. These feelings do not make you an uncaring person!

X
your exhausted and desperateNOT A BAD CARER or a bad person for that matter

Its often caused by this horrid system where we have to fight for every little thing.

just watching the ones we care for deteriorate pulls us down.

None of us gets it right all the time.

but I do know this, bad carers DO NOT bother coming on here

I hope the respite care gives you some breathing space, if it needs to become permanant, then you have done your best and thats all anyone can do

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Sistermillicent, your post is so moving, you do seem to have just hit rock-bottom, this is not a fault, it is a reaction to what you have gone through.
As has been said, if you hadn't been a caring person, you wouldn't have done what you have so far, and you are still looking out for mums' interests, it speaks volumes that you said 'nice' nursing home.

You need to get your mental and physical strength back, and be the 'you' you need to be. My admiration goes to you, and all other carers. We all know there is far more going on than could ever be written down.

Take care of yourself, no condemnation, as Mary said, none of us can work miracles...I think we all know what one of our first would be if we could.

My best wishes to you for strength and comfort.
Love, Necion. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Pippa

There comes a time for most of us when enough is enough. You are in ood company. You are as good a carer as anyone but are suffering burn out.
I hope your mum settles well and you can stop thinking badly of yourself. xx

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Thank you all for your replies, it is true that it is a very rocky road, and I think it makes you feel useless when things you try don't work and your phone calls aren't answered and carers don't materialise and homes say "no we can't have her". I thought maybe I hadn't done it right, should have known that she needed EMI care, not residential,should have realised how ill my dad was too etc.
I care, of course, but I am finding I hate myself and the things I am having to do. I can't think how anyone could feel otherwise in this situation, but I also know it is best in the circumstances - to make it harder I am having to really push this respite with my dad as he is almost helpless with grief and needs the break far more than I do.
Your support is lovely and I think I will return to read these replies many times in the next few days.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Pippa I know exactly how you feel and you are NOT a bad carer. Please don't beat yourself up about it. I'm thinking of you. xx

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
I think it makes you feel useless when things you try don't work and your phone calls aren't answered and carers don't materialise and homes say "no we can't have her". I thought maybe I hadn't done it right,

Pippa, I'm sure you have done it right. I think I could have more or less written the above quote during the last 2 months, I wrote a thread saying "what do I have to do to get a response" which was a rhetorical question really. I know what I need to do, but I do sometimes feel that I'm trying to run up a "down" escalator.

Sending love and support
Mary
x

Heather777

Jul 24, 2008
Bristol
sistermillicent, not sure if it is wrong but your first post made me giggle, you sounded like a defiant child stamping her feet trying to convince us!!

I know how you feel, when you think enough is enough!! but a home isn't the end it just brings a different type of stress!! So keep on keeping on and I am sure that no-one wants others to view themselves as 'holier than thou' carers!

Heather xx

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Dear Pippa

Thinking of you and sending a well deserved hug :)

hug nice.jpg

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Hello, sistermillicent,

I hope all goes well with the respite, and you can have some time out from the awful pressures you've been enduring. You will need to 'let go' of the pressure, shake it off, because it's been part of your life for so long. Be kind to yourself, do something special, or nothing at all -- it's respite for you.
If your mum's stay in the home becomes permanent, you'll still have a part to play, but you yourself can decide how much. I would just add that your father may need some support when your mum does go into permanent care -- it can be so hard for spouses as you'll know from reading posts on here -- but it does sound as if it would be for the best.
Thinking of you,
sleepless.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Dear Pippa,
You are a wonderful, caring daughter who has coped amazingly well with the hardest possible situation that life can throw at us. I hope you enjoy a peaceful respite period and your mother is really well looked after. It sounds like you have arrived at another milestone. I have not had to endure anywhere near the grief that you have and i feel guilty for moaning about my plight on this forum.
love Jancis xxx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Sistermillicent

Hi, You are a very carering person the "care " you have shown me in your P.Ms proves that & it is the same "Care" that you are able to give to your Mum/Dad and i do hope the respite works out well for your Mum & your Dad is able to have a much needed "break"/ and he has a good rest.

Life is never easy and am sure you have choosen the correct sort of "Care" for your Mum

Best Wishes to you all and take care

Lots of Love from Grove x x x