My wonderful Dad has gone

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
My Dad died on Saturday at 4.50p.m.

I'm so sorry everone for not being on here but I just couldn't. I've also been so busy. As most of you are aware my Dad had been in hospital for three months. It was just last Wednesday that he had been moved to a lovely nursing home. We've had lots of ups and downs with him and are amazed that he lived this long. We're sure it has been our love and devotion to him.

He had been bed ridden for seven weeks following two seizures and a large number of smaller ones. His chest was also very bad. We were allowed to feed him pureed food and thickened drinks when he was awake enough to have them.

By Friday of last week after having two days of sleeping most of the time after his move from the hospital he was awake and wonderful but very confused. He'd had a few spoonfuls of pureed fish, chips and mushy peas for his lunch followed by ice cream and a cup of juice. When I went in on Friday teatime he had more ice cream and juice. He became quite confused later that evening and thought that I was one of his sisters (who died many years ago).

I left him on Friday night with one of the nurses feeling that all was well. On Saturday morning he'd had a bed bath and was fine. He had a small amount of lunch and then things took a turn for the worse. My neice rang me and said that I had to get there immediately. Still don't know how I got there a forty minute drive took me twenty!! I arrived at 4p.m. Myself and my three sisters and Mam were there plus a few grandchildren. At the end it was just his five girls with him and if death can be lovely that was. On his last breath he opened his eyes looked at Mam gave her a smile and was then was gone. I will never forget that it was so beautiful.

I miss him so much and don't know what to do. I'm dreading Thursday which is his funeral.

Thank you all for listening. I'm now crying again which I seem to do quite regularly at the moment.

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Aww I'm crying for you, but what a wonderful way for him to go, I am so sorry though, you will miss him I know, Love and hugs to you all. Pauline xxx

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Oh Flowerpot I am was so sad reading your post.

Sending condolences and love to you and your family.

Love

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Am so sorry for you all.

Let that wonderful smile your dad gave to your mum carry you thro the coming days and weeks .

ehhgjl

Nov 12, 2010
suffolk
hi

Oh my...Ive just read your post and it reads just like my Dads last 8 weeks in hospital...The pain is almost too much to bear, but they are at peace, and like you all we fed and cared for my Dad as much as we could whilst in hospital...
Feel for you in your pain....x

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Flowerpot, I am so sorry to hear your very sad news that your dad has died.

Turbo

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear Flowerpot,

So sorry to hear your news about your dad, but so glad for you and your family that it was peaceful.

Best wishes x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Flowerpot,

Your post brought tears to my eyes because it was so sad and yet so beautiful. What a wonderful parting gift to you all to see your dad smile and then leave:)

Please accept my sincere condolences and I hope that the funeral will be the best that it can be.

I am sure you know that Talking Point is here for you in your loss should you have the need.

Love

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. As others have said it is so very sad but beautiful knowing how peacefully your Dad passed away.

My thoughts are with you at this very difficult time.

mowood

Dec 27, 2009
West Yorkshire
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Your dad was a very lucky man to have such a loving family around him and such a peaceful death. My condolences to you and your family.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Your Dad was a lucky man to have a family who hurt so much at his passing. You and your family were lucky too, to have had a man in your life who caused you to love him so deeply. It is this love which causes the pain and it is this love which will help you cope with the parting. I feel for you all.x.

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Dear Flowerpot,
Heartfelt sympathy for you and all your family. You seem to be a very close, loving family, and I'm sure that smile wiped away at least some of the hurt of the past you may otherwise have carried. What a wonderfull treasured memory to hold in your hearts forever.
Our family also had the privilege of being with my dad when he died, many years ago, something else to treasure.

Wishing you all strength, courage and peace to get through the next difficult days together.

Love, Necion. x

Last edited:

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Dear Flowerpot,

I also have tears in my eyes, reading your sad news, but at the same time a smile. A smile because my dad had ice-cream then, fell asleep the same night, never to wake. I love the story of ice-cream and a long nap...it couldn't have been more fitting for my own dad. Just the perfect way to go.

And I'm so touched by the smile from your dad. Such a lovely way to slip away, and for you to see him leave. He did that for you, and what a wonderful dad to leave that memory...

I'm so sorry that you'll be missing him now. It's only a year since my own dad's funeral, and, like you, I dreaded it, but on the day, we did everything FOR him, not us, and it was a million miles from what I expected. It was so fitting, so perfect and so...dad. I hope you can feel that same sense on Thursday.

I will be thinking of you that day, with a tear in my eye for ALL brilliant dads who have gone.

Do cry, every tear is for a wonderful man.

Sending love,

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Flowerpot, I am so sorry.
You are in my thoughts now and will be on Thursday, I hope it's a special day for you.
Take care of yourself, kind regards, Jo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba