Accessing care plan

lily952

Nov 14, 2010
Devon UK
Hi everyone,
My Mother has Alzheimers and is in a secure unit of a care home on the Isle of Wight. I live down in Devon, so my main regular contact with her has been by phone. Unfortunately, over the past couple of months her illness has got worse and she is now unable to speak on the phone.
So I asked the Manager of the care home if I could be sent a copy of her care plan or updates by email, so that I would now how she was getting on. The manager has said that due to data protection, she is not able to send me anything.
I would have thought that the Freedom of Information Act would allow me access as next of kin.
I wondered if anyone else had any experience of this?
Thanks
Lily

Tarika

Jul 26, 2008
I received regular updates on my mum's care via e-mail. Is the manager confusing data protection with freedom of information act?

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Yes, I have experienced a similar refusal to share infomation. That was because my relative said he didn't want me to be involved in his welfare. Mine is an extreme case, however. I hope you don't have this problem with your mother.

cilla89

Jul 9, 2010
I have also received copies of my mum's care plan and best interests assessment - albeit from Social Services and not the Care Home. I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about data protection. Perhaps if you relay these experiences to the Home they may prove more receptive. After all, its not acting in her best interests to keep you in the dark.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
My local social services sent me a copy of my husband's care plan only two weeks ago. How strange to invoke the data protection act when you are her daughter and, presumably, her next living relative!

Do we smell a rat?

xxTinaT

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Agree with Tina, if there's nothing to hide, why hide it??
Surely your mother is a vulnerable person, can't see why, as next of kin, you wouldn't have a right to protect her interests.
Data Protection...of your mothers care,---or the care home?
Love, Necion. x

lily952

Nov 14, 2010
Devon UK
Care plan

Thanks everyone.
I will try again with the manager. If not, social services.
I hope they are not trying to hide something.
Last year I found out by accident from speaking to one of the care workers that Mum had a nasty fall and was taken to A & E for Xrays. Luckily nothing broken, just some bad bruising, but I only found out about it 6 weeks after the accident happened.
Thanks for all your replies,
Lily

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hi Lily
I had exactly the same problem when I requested copies of my husband's Care Plans as ammunition for his forthcoming NHS CH Assessment.

The home refused point blank to give them to me or anyone else saying it was their policy not to! I went in armed with the Agreement I had signed and pointed out that it clearly stated I (POA) should be supplied with copies of the Care Plans. I was then told that was a typing error:rolleyes: and it should have read 'Plan of Care':eek: - my mother who was with me insisted they tell what the difference was - needless to say they couldn't!

Anyway I am now using a firm of Solicitors for my appeal against the NHS CH refusal and they are also having problems. However they have told me that legally the Care Home have to give copies - whether they like it not! So we will see what happens.