Help!!!!

Gill66

Oct 31, 2010
I believe my Mum may have Alzheimers / dementia. This in itself is bad enough but she is now having very vivid hallucinations to the point where she phones me at all hours of the night in tears telling me there are people in her flat doing various different things and begging me to go over there. She is absolutely terrified. During the day she sees people who don't seem to be a threat but as soon as it is dark the people are different and she is very scared. She has threatened to phone the police and is adamant that she wants to move to get away from them.
I simply don't know how to cope with this or what I can do to help her.
Has anyone out there experienced something similar who could offer me some advice?

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome to TP although it is so sad you need to be here.

Problems such as you mention are common in Dementia and I feel you are best to discuss with the Consultant. It seems evident to me that you and she cannot continue as you are and maybe your Mum needs to stay in an Assessment Unit where they could monitor her behaviour and possibly find suitable medication.

This factsheet may help you:
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=172

Gill66

Oct 31, 2010
Thank you

Thanks for that. I have read so much about this disease in the last few weeks. Mum has a brain scan tomorrow but it's the speed at which these hallucinations have escalated that frightens me and her complete confusion. I know it's a degenerative disease but this has happened so very quickly.

ameenablake

Oct 31, 2010
it's so scary

My mum has also had these halloucinations; keeps thinking there are thieves in the garden walking along the wall. She even called the police a few times. We have had no diagnosis as yet, but Mum refuses to admit there is a problem and refuses help. I did get her to a scan last year after major problems, but now she does not even tell me about appointments and is getting worse and worse with memory etc.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Gill66,

First of all WELCOME to Talking Point. I hope you will find the information and support that you are seeking at this time.

I noticed that you put that you believed your mum had alzheimers/dementia and that led me to wonder whether your mum has been diagnosed? If your mum has been diagnosed I would suspect that she has a consultant and if so, I would recommend that you make an appointment to see the consultant as soon as possible. It may be quicker in the interim to request to see a Community Psychiatric Nurse. If your mum isn't diagnosed then I would suggest that you make an appointment to see her GP as soon as possible.

Love and best wishes

Gill66

Oct 31, 2010
VERY scary!

My Mum's Dr has been quite good and each time he sends a referral he asks people to contact me and not Mum, so at least i know when and where appointments are. Getting her to remember them is another problem!! We bought her a notice board which we stuck on the fridge. We use it, Mum's morning and evening carers use it...she doesn't!!
It's just nice to know there are other people out there experiencing similar problems, to talk to.

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi Gill,you`ve come to the right place,there are some lovely people here to talk to:)

Keep posting and let us know what happens.Once you get a diagnosis it will be easier for all concerned to direct you to the right support/ services etc.

Best wishes.

Gill66

Oct 31, 2010
Dear Helen33
Mum hasn't been diagnosed as yet, although the wheels are in motion. Seen the memory Consultant once who has organised a brain scan, which she has tomorrow. The hallucinations were not anywhere near as bad when we saw him as they are now though.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Gill
Sorry to hear about your mum.
I think it would be wise to contact mums consultant via his secretary to let him/her know what is happening to your mum

monty10

Oct 28, 2010
Gill,

My granddad has recently started having hallucinations. Our GP advised us to have a look around his house with the lights off. As apparently the shadows that are cast by normal things can look threatening. Maybe there is something there that is triggering them off.

Woodruff

Oct 6, 2010
You have my sympathies Gill....sadly, my MIL who is now in an EMI nursing home presented us with similar 'stories' in the run-up to her being admitted to hospital. Unfortunately, she had a past history of exagerating situations etc etc and 'crying wolf' over thirty years:eek: Hubby & I never really knew what was truth and what was fiction with her...we learned not to listen to her as she was constantly 'seeking attention' by these means. It is an extremely difficult situation for you and I hope that you will be able to get some help. Unfortunately, MIL's GP had been 'taken in' by her so many times that when she really needed help she nearly didn't get it:( Our problems with her are still not over..

carolsea

Feb 22, 2010
South Yorks
Hi Gill
So sorry to hear about your problems, but you're in good company here. It helps to share our worries.

You asked for suggestions.....

Talk to your Mum's GP.
If you need help, contact your local adult SS dept.
Keep a diary of your Mum's behaviour, to jog your memory /show to the professionals when they ask.
Also keep a record of who (Doc, SS etc.) you talk to and when, contact numbers etc. I know that may sound obvious but I found that the no. of people I spoke to about Mum became confusing very qiuckly!

My Mum is just the same as yours,and is currently in hospital after getting up her neighbours twice on Sat night, first time knocking on the wall saying she'd fallen (she hadn't) and 2nd time screaming at the top of her voice 'as if she was being murdered'! And my Mum has a careline that she won't (or can't remember how to?) use.

I've just had a call from the dementia matron to say Mum is finally going to be diagnosed as having dementia (at long last!!!) and will be referred to the memory clinic and CPN. However, Mum is going to be sent back home later today, so no doubt we will be having phone calls through the night again...oh dear.

Woodruff, I could have written your post myself. Sounds so like my Mum!
x

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
This may be too obvious (or may have been addressed in another thread) but has your Mum been checked out to eliminate the possibility that she may have an infection?

Urine infections, constipation & similar things can be very disruptive to someone with dementia (or other mental problems), and delusions or increased confusion are frequent results.

Sorry if that's already been covered.

Best wishes

Jackcat

Jan 30, 2010
London
My Mum's delusions and hallucinations have decreased significantly since she started taking Aricept, mght be worth asking about if and when you get the diagnosis.

When they do occur it tends to be when she is ill, got a cold, etc.

She phoned/s me too, it was originally very distressing for us both because I can't always get to her quickly.

I have found it helps if I don't correct her, but go along with it and advise her to tell them to ****** off if she doesn't want them around. I hear her saying "my Sister/Mum/Daughter (I am all of them at the same time sometimes, lol) says you are to leave my house", and it usually works, thank god. What I'll do if she decides she wants them to stay around I don't know!

She sometimes leaves the telly and radio on at night and wakes up mistaking the voices for real people! I remind her to switch off when I ring her to take her bedtime tablet. To be hones, she's got so much better on the Aricept that she knows whatt I'm calling about now, doesn't really need the reminder, but I do it anyway as she seems to like it.

Joining TP helped me realise that we are on a journey that takes different routes for different people - and it is essential to ask for help, from all sources. It's been a huge help lurking here, and ocassionally posting, tho' sometimes also a bit frightening realising what lies ahead - but fore-armed is fore-warned isn't it? Welcome Gill