What more could you want?

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Went to see mum this morning. She was quite upset and kept saying, I've been somewhere else, where have I been? I haven't been here but I don't know where I've been!
I just reassured her, maybe you were dreaming mum, but she was adamant she wasn't.
I looked out of the window and there were queues of tits for her feeders! I said look at those birds. She said yes, and those beautiful trees, what more could you want?
I was sad that she got a really bad tummy ache after lunch. She didn't eat much - about ten small forkfuls - but did drink 3 little glasses of milk. I guess her tummy can't take these treats now. I think maybe by taking her these little treats I just end up giving her tummy ache.
I am so pleased she likes her view and her kind carers. I've bought them some cookies from Marks' .
Hope you are all ok.

Last edited:

Meercat

Aug 13, 2010
You really are an angel - going through all you have to, with caring for your Mum and then remembering the lovely gesture of giving to her carers.

Remember to treat yourself too

Meercat

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Hello Pied, it is so disconcerting when those comments arise, so imagine you are a little confused with it all. You just have to go with it, enter HER world, and share it with her. Anybody else but people here would think WE were mad. But it brings reassurance and comfort to our loved ones. You're doing a wonderful job xxx

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Hi Pied

Sounds like your mum is in a nice place. Sorry she wasn't too well, but kind carers you say, that means so much!. It must be so reassuring.

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi Pied,you are so kind to everyone despite what you are going through.I`m glad your mum has a lovely view.
Where is south Ribble.I used to follow the river Ribble on my way to school.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi yes, it does mean a lot to see mum settled more. Lord knows where she was! I hoped she was maybe visiting somewhere from her past. I said oh, bless you Mum, and she said Thank you, really clearly, she sounded so pleased.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Pied, do you think your mum may have been thinking about her recent hospital sojourn? Or even about the previous home?

I'd be surprised if your treats caused your mum's tummy aches.

The glasses of milk will do her good. And if it was me, the view of the birds would be just the ticket. Clever you, to sort that out for her.

x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Pied

I`m sure your mother is still confused, the move will have unsettled her and she won`t be sure where she was, or how she came to be where she now is.
And I wouldn`t be surprised if she is suffering from a nervous tummy.
I do hope I`m right and she and her tummy will soon soon be much calmer.
Love xx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Mmm nervous tummy, yes, that really wouldn't surprise me at all. After all she must have been in a panic about not knowing where she was, albeit much less severe because of the citalopram.

She doesn't seem to have the strength to lean forward in bed so I can plump her pillows now. She could do that quite easily two weeks ago. I wonder if she has forgotten how to lean forward or has just lost the muscle strength? Maybe that is the baclofen?

Who knows. I could sit here thinking oh, she has gone downhill so fast, but on the other hand I think, Mum, you done good girl, you stayed walking till nearly 80 years of age with MS and kept yourself in your own home till nearly 79. Not bad really. xx

SheilaL

Oct 18, 2010
South Lakes
Thinking of your and your mum, Pied. For what it's worth, my auntie (who's still in hospital) went out to a party with the nurses last night - 'somewhere in this hospital' - and she had on her best outfit, bless her. To quote: 'We had a really good 'do'!':)

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I think mine was out partying with yours. She told me she had to run down the corridor to tell the staff to keep the noise down in the kitchen. They were holding a party and drinking too much.

If only it were so.

Mum can't sit forward now by herself either but in her world so can do all sorts of things.

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hello, Pied,

It's so lovely to read your posts about your Mum. You have done so much to make her stay happy. The bird feeders sound lovely. My Mum loves the birds and I really must get her some window feeders cause her eyesight isn't so good now.

You're doing really well, Pied. I'm sure the staff appreciate your kindness. Most don't get paid very much and I'm sure these gestures from carers mean a lot. We all need to feel appreciated.

What a lovely person you are.

Hugs,

Maggie

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I'm not so sure, there are plenty who would not agree there - my son for instance who is doing his GCSEs and says I'm the world's worst mum!

I've been posting on the bedsore thread and have been frightened by what I have read there. Can anyone else tell me if their relative is on an air mattress for pressure sores? The staff tell me Mum has none and she is on a tempur mattress but surely she is at risk because she is on her back 24/7.

Anyone else got any advice about this please? Should I be insisting I be allowed to see Mum to check for pressure sores?

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Hello Pied

No advice about bedsores, I'm afraid. Despite the time that Mum has spent on her back or on her bum I'm thankful to say that she has never had a sore.

Hope you and Mum have a peaceful day today!

Mary
x

Bronwen

Jan 8, 2010
Bristol
Just wanted to say what a wonderful caring person you are..you seem to be on the ball for all your mum's needs.

Try to take time out for yourself though. Love to you and your dear mum

love
Bronwen x

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Hi Pied

Sorry - I have no experience of bed sores - as bad as mum is, at least they get her out of bed and she sits in a chair.

Have you asked the home if she has any sores - I'm sure if you let them know your concerns, they should be able to let you know what they're doing to stop your mum developing them.

On a happier note -my 2 sons are now 24 and 22, and the stroppy teenager thing is long gone!! Just let it go in one ear Pied, and gently float out the other - things do definitely get better:)

Take care

Liz

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
:eek: Thanks Libby

I did ask at the home this afternoon, they took ages to change Mum and wash her, she was totally exhausted afterwards so I left her. They said she was red on her bottom but they said that was from contact with the faeces, and that she had done a huge amount of urine too. But they had changed her at 11 am and she was clean and dry so I know it hadn't been hanging around.

Her legs were all red on the underside, I take it this is blood pooling?

It's one worry after another! At least the home seems fine!

Sarah x