call from doctor

thebigman

Oct 12, 2010
whitburn, west lothian
just had a call from the family doctor, the antibiotics are not working and all medicines have been withdrawn, he is very frail and his blood oxygen levels are very low, the home is making him as comfortable as possible. the doc says they cant move him as that would kill him, i signed the papers only 4 mth ago dnr, now i cant help wondering if i have done the right thing, my emotions are running very high right now. for gods sake i am a grown man but i am struggling to hold back the tears, i knew it would happen one day and i thought was prepared for it but its cracking me up . doc doesnt expect him to survive the day but i cant get there till this afternoon due to where i am at the moment..i hope i am not to late, you might wonder why i am writing on the site just now but i get tremendous help from you all and this site has been my strengh.

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Oh I am so sorry ~((((hugs))))

I think when we sign the papers (we have for mum) we know we are doing it witht he best of intentions, but I do also think it is only natural to wonder when they are used. We love our family so much, it is very hard when we have to let them go xxxx

you and your family are very much in my thoughts, do let us know how you get on xxxxx

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
I am so sorry to read your post but pleased that you are able to get some comfort from sharing your sadness. I really hope you are able to reach your father and to be with him. Such a dreadful day for you.

There is nothing wrong with a grown man crying, I am sure many of them do it more than once so let it go. Have a good weep.

My thoughts are with you and your family at this very sad time. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It is so sad but what is the alternative. Only to prolong both his and your suffering.
Making the right decision doesn`t mean you should be happy about it, it is just the lesser of two evils.
I do hope you will be able to get to your dad in time. Don`t leave yourself with any regrets.
Love xx

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi,
I am so sorry that you have had that telephone call, you have done the right thing and your dad is being cared for by people who know him and care. Signing the DNR is a sign of deep love and affection, please don't regret putting in place the best arrangements.
I hope that you get some more time together, you are in my thoughts today and for what the future will bring.
Kind regards, Jo

SheilaL

Oct 18, 2010
South Lakes
So very sorry. What a decision - and at a time when you're emotionally and physically vulnerable yourself. Sending love and prayers x

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Do so very much hope that you reach your dad in time.
You have done your very best for him.
Thinking of you,
Nan XXX

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I've been through something very similar recently - my mum died just over a month ago - and I know how hard it can be. I was asked to make a decision as to whether mum should be sent to hospital. I dscided against it and don't regret it. although at the time I felt as though I was between the devil and the deep blue sea!

My thoughts are with you.

60schild

Oct 18, 2010
I'm so sorry to read this, and hope that you can get to your father in time. I'll be thinking of you.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
So sorry to hear of this. There is nothing wrong with having a good cry, it does not make you less of a man but just shows you are a loving son.

Tears are nature's release valve. Bottling things up does no good.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear Thebigman,

There is never a right time, and you are never ready for it. It just is a very sad situation whatever the circumstances. :(

I hope your dad is being kept comfortable, and that you are able to see him.

Best wishes xxx

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Y'know there is no kinder thing that you can do but support your relative in their hour of need. Accept what happens, know that you have done your best, be there, be loving and supportive. We can all do loads for our rellies when they are fit and well, but what we do for them in the final stages of their lives is the most important.

Bigman, just be there. It is an important role that you are playing, none more important.

Much love and understanding,

Margaret

angeleyes34

Oct 11, 2010
Yorkshire
I'm so sorry you are having to suffer this pain and turmoil, everyone is right and you have made the most selfless descision a person can make, you've put your father's best interest over your own feelings. Please don't have regrets, you've done nothing wrong and he wouldn't want to be here suffering and you don't want that for him either. I so hope you've made it to see him, I know what it feels like to not get there in time for someone, I was in the same situation years ago, everything seemed to be against me getting there. I was so angry for a long time, but eventually realised there was nothing I could have done to get me there any quicker.

Releasing your emotions is a good thing, a man who cries is more of a man.

Hugs and prayers for you Big Man xxx