Homes

crafty

Jun 26, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi everyone,
Things are going down hill here Our Dad has been messing with electric light switches now taking wires out, but of course it was somebody else not him. Then my Sister and i were at Dads last Friday night as normal to do his tea and meds. He kept saying "i am going i need to find the motorway" so we said OK Dad if thats what you have to do you do it, 4 times he went outside and came back in he didn't know how to get off his street so we told him which way to go, we needed to see for ourselves if he really was going out on a night as several of the neighbours have said he is wandering on a night.Well off he went again we watched him pass the window and we locked the bungalow up and off we went. If the police had seen us we would of been arrested, my Sister and i were hiding behind bushes and cars following Dad from a little distance to see how far Dad was prepared to go.We live in a village and when you come out of Dads street you come to the main road that leads you into the middle of the village if you turn right which Dad normally does he gets his self to my Sisters house or mine, if you turn left its all farmers fields and no path. Well this night as we were watching him he turned left. Our hearts were in our mouths so we started running after him he had seen head lights of cars and thought it was the motorway we managed to grab him just as he was stepping onto the road. So this brings me onto HOMES after that we both said right its gone to far now we are not prepared to wait for an incident to happen like the CPN suggested we would never forgive ourselves if anything happened to Dad.

Yesterday my Sister and i spent all day looking at homes in our area, well we had our eyes opened i can tell you.Two of the homes were diabolical, one home had a west wing and an east wing, the west wing was residential and was fantastic the reception was like walking into the Hilton Hotel, the East wing was for Dementia the lady said i have no rooms on that side as yet so there is no point in showing you i said but we would like to see it in case a room came up, she didn't really want to show us around but i insisted. Well i have never seen anything like it in my life, the RSPCA have better kennels for their dogs.My point is this how the H**L do these places stay open? Why do these people think "OH that person has Dementia they don't need to have nice furniture or nice carpets etc", "they don't need it to be kept clean they wont appreciate it" because thats just how it seemed to me. People with Dementia pay more money for their care and yet expect to live like animals in some of these Homes.Why are they allowed to get away with it? oh and there was a top up fee at this home as well.God this has really got my back up my blood is boiling.Why are there still homes like this in this day and age? How can this be stopped!
I am not saying all homes are like this we did find a lovely home but they had no rooms at the minute and they had no men in, they did take Dementia people but hadn't had any in up to now.
Tina xx

mowood

Dec 27, 2009
West Yorkshire
Good for you Crafty! I'm glad yu didn't let them put you off looking around.

I've had far too many experiences like the one you've described and it's made my blood boil too. I've written to CQC, The Director of SS, my MP and even Tony Bliar (when he was PM) and I have been assured - THERE IS NO PROBLEM.

So, as nobody wants to know (they all know really but if they don't admit it, it's not their problem?) or improve things, I look after my mum at home. I'm faced with many other problems that nobody wants to address but I least I can make sure she is treated with dignity and respect and healthwise, she is kept as well as she can be.

Q. Homes, Why are they allowed to get away with it?

A. Because they can.

I hope you can find a place for your dad in a good care home and in the meantime, have you thought about raising your concerns with CQC? It may be a futile exercise but they need to know that some people will not accept this standard of 'care'.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Dear Tina,
Gosh this sounds so scary and yet familiar!!!! The home you have described with the west and east wing sounds like the 'home' my uncle is residing in at present. I will be completely honest and say that in my opinion he is INCARCERATED in this home? My uncle's consultant has said "he has no appreciation of what home is".
I am not able to describe my thoughts on this. Sorry not much help:(

crafty

Jun 26, 2010
Yorkshire
Thank you ladies for your replies.

Mowood i will certainly contact CQC about my concerns, even if they don't want to know at least i have tried.

catbells

Jun 14, 2010
Cambridgeshire
Hi Crafty.
Have you "googled" dementia care homes for your area. This is where I started. My Mum lives in social housing sheltered accommodation, just 5 mins away, no home to sell so we targeted social housing associations homes.Where I live in Cambrdigeshire we are lucky to have locally two social housing extra care plus homes and a BUPA home. We had an adult social care "care in the community" assessment carried out for extra care plus accommodation and within two months she is now on the waiting for our preferred home just 5 mins away. Extra Care Plus is independant living with 24/7 care staff, so care can be added as and when required. Mum may have to wait awhile, but she will be able to move around but be secure, no longer able to go off to town on her own, she`ll have to wait for me to take her. No need to move for paliative care either. You will also get financial advice from the housing associations/nursing homes, social services too.
Good luck,
Talk to local alzheimers society too.
Good luck
Heather x:)

Last edited:

Linda60

Oct 29, 2009
Beds
Hi
I have been reading many of the comments over the last year and have found them helpful and supportive I have just moved Mum into a care home near me ( I almost had to Kidnap her to get her to go but within 4 weeks she is settled ,happy and joining activities)
Do look at all types of homes and you will find some are excellent. The manager of the home I chose even did a 250 mile round trip to meet Mum and confirm they could meet her needs before agreeing to take her! I am sure you will find one that suits . Linda

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Hi Tina,
I hope you find a home that suits your Dad. I've written quite a lot about my Dad's home, which is generally really good. He certainly seems happier there than he was in his own home: while he lived at home he regularly talked about "going home", even though he had lived there for over 50 years! This week after his unhappy day at our local hospital, when he was brought out of the ambulance he looked at the carer who had come out to meet us, and said, "Thank God I'm home!"
He's only been there since March, but the staff are lovely, and I know he is looked after well. He can be violent at times, but everyone treats him like their favourite uncle. We come and go as we please: we were given the code to the door on our first day, and there have been times we have been outside the lounge and watched what was going on without anyone knowing we were there. That sounds a bit like spying, but I just wanted to know what happened when we aren't there. It seems exactly like what happens when they know I'm there. At times it all looks a bit scruffy, till you see somebody trying to kick a door down. Then you see that they try to keep on top of repairs. A few times it's been a bit smelly, but that was down to one of the residents removing their pad and hiding it. It's certainly comfortable, and the food is good. If we're there at mealtimes there is always plenty of food with a choice of different main courses. That means there is always food left over and we have been offered a meal to eat with Dad to encourage him to eat.
I just got a good feeling about it when we looked round.:)
It's been the best decision we made with regard to Dad. I sleep much better now, knowing that he is safe and cared for. All the time he was at home, I was permanently on edge, wondering if he would wander off or set fire to something.
Good luck. I hope you find somewhere that you're happy with.
Love Sue xxx