Aricept Domeprezil

desperado

Apr 7, 2008
Lancashire England
Mum (91 yrs) has been put on this medication two weeks ago an d since she's been on it she seems to be getting worse. Has anyone else had this problem ??? If so what did they recommend ?

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello
Contact the doc who prescribed it asap

Just like any med, they can have side effects , not suit the person ect.

There are other meds that may help

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Hello
How do you mean worse ? My mum experienced head aches and dizziness when she was first put on Aricept but the side affects did stop after she had been on it for a while.

desperado

Apr 7, 2008
Lancashire England
Aricept - better or worse

Mum's memory seems to be worse and she is more confused - she's had side effects like diarrhoea and nausea but they say that this goes after a week or so - I thought this medication slowed the progression of the disease but from what I can see, it's making it progree faster. is that possible ???

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I suppose every one is different in terms of their reaction to these drugs. My husband was on aricept for over 8 years and has recently been changed to exelon patches. He has had no bad reactions to either of these medications. I can only imagine they have slowed down the progression. I wouldn't like to try to find out what he'd be like without them. x

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Then you definitely need to speak to the doctor,Its hard to say if it is the drug or the illness but if your her main carer go by your instincts !!!

Laurence

Jul 3, 2010
Cheshire
Hi

I'd definitely have a chat with the doctor but my experience with my wife is that she was definitely worse whilst acclimatizing to the drug but improved significantly afterwards...

Hope that helps?...

Laurence