Viral infection

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
I have just returned after being ill for five days due to a viral infection. At first I thought I was having a stroke as I had a violent head ache then my legs gave way, leaving me staring at the ceiling unable to move or get up, till my wife came and got me up.

I felt so ill that I was help up stairs and went to bed, where I stayed for nearly two days.

This is one of the worst things that I have had like this, as I had double vision, and every time I moved my head the room would spine around, so I stayed put with my eyes closed as much as possible.

Although I have had viral pneumonia before it was nothing like this, and I found it hard to believe that a virus could do so much damage.

I suppose that it does not help when you have an illness like dementia in the first place, however I am pleased that it is nearly gone so I can start to get my life back together again.

I just have to wait for the results of some tests to come back in two days, and then we can settle down again.

Ken

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sorry to hear this Ken.

I had a virus infection recently, I don`t know if it was the same as yours, but it left me feeling weak and helpless for ages. And as soon as I began feeling better, it came back.

So please give yourself time to recover.

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Dear Ken, it really must knock you for six getting an infection like that when you have dementia. It helps so much to hear from a sufferer themselves just how an infection affects them.

Take care and get yourself better

Syvlia, hope you have recovered fully, I didn't realise you'd been poorly

xx

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Ken

I can understand how you must have been feeling as I’ve been hit with viral infection a few times since I’ve had my Alzheimer’s and it really knocks the stuffing out of you… I think one of the problems that it hits us so hard is that our (immune system) is also becoming less resilient to any other types of infections going round so we can very easily be infected… so you did the best thing by staying in bed, hope yur feeling much better now!
Barry

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Barry,

I was feeling much better until this afternoon when my wife and I went for a short walk to get some fresh air, and I came back wishing I hadn't gone as I felt ill.

Perhaps it was just too soon to try, but I hate being shut up in the house like this.

This is my second infection in three months, and the last one took three doses of anti biotics to get rid of.

Until the results come back from the lab, they don't know what to treat it with, as it is an unknown viral infection uptil now.

At least I can now stand up unaided, apart from a walking stick occassionally, so thats a good start.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Just to let you know that I am starting to feel much better today, and it came as a surprise tonight to hear from the doctors, that the tests prove that as well as the virus I also had a chest infection.

The sad thing is that they had the results for two days before, reading them and sending me a prescription.

Still we will get better one way or another

Ken

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Ken, hi
So pleased to hear that you are feeling better and now have the right medication, good that they responded before the weekend :rolleyes:. I hope all goes well and you feel stronger very soon.
Best wishes, Jo

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Hope the medication is helping Ken and that you are soon free of the virus and chest infection, and able to go outside. Mind you it has got pretty cold lately, so wrap up warm. (sorry, it's the mum habit in me)
love

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Thanks for all your kind messages. I am feeling a lot better today, and we went shopping this morning, although I confess to coming home totally shattered, but I enjoyed getting out again.

I am not the best patient and felt like a caged tiger over the last few days, but would have been totally silly to have gone out earlier than I did.

I am now starting to look forward to our holiday in Malta next month.

Best Wishes
Ken

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Dear Ken

I am glad you're feeling a bit better, but maybe you could take it easy for a while. It sounds as though you have been really poorly.

Hope you really enjoy your holiday in Malta. Something to really look forward to. XXXX

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
I have just been told that I did not have a virus as the nurse practitioner has said. But I has hammered by the full force of a bad chest infection, which had been going on for around two months.

This was odd bearing in mind that the rooms kept spinning and I could not stand up by my self, and just wanted to sleep all weekend.

But the doctor has said that when someone has dementia an infection can cause utter chaos to everything.

Thank god its gone because it was horrible

So we live and learn each day.

Best Wishes

Ken