What a night!!!

dancer84

Dec 24, 2009
North East Eangland
:mad:John woke at 3.30am, and started storming round the bedroom looking for something, shouting and swearing and throwing things around. Then he went to the kitchen, opened the back door, letting the dogs out and he followed them (in the nude). I eventually persuaded him to come in, but he wouldn't come back to bed. Still shouting 'I'm b----- going home', 'I'm not doing what you b----- say'. He started to get dressed but could only find his underpants, socks and shoes and hat - still stamping round the house and shouting. I was terrified and tried to stay in bed some of the time wondering what to do and who to contact. He kept storming into the bedroom and throwing his hat or jacket at me. This went on for an hour and a half, then at 5 o'clock he sat in the kitchen stroking the dogs and I ventured to go and make him a cup of tea. After that he agreed to go to bed, but still had his angry head on throwing his clothes on the floor.
This morning when he woke, his shoulders and arms kept shaking violently so I kept him in bed and rang the doctor, who askled for a urine sample.
To cut a long story short, the urine sample was negative, so the doctor visited at lunch time and checked John over. John was still quite angry although the shaking had stopped. He was hitting himself on the head (something he does in the shower). So the doctor has put him on Mirtazapine to calm him down. Does anybody know anything about it? I understand it could take a couple of weeks to be fully effective.
So I will see what tonight brings, hopefully he will be so tired he will sleep all night, but he's shown no sign of being tired during the day even after a long walk with the dogs this afternoon.
I know that I could do with a good night's sleep I feel as though I am living on a knife edge.
Sorry to ramble on but I know I can share these experiences with TP.
Anne

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Anne, hi
Thinking about you and hoping that you are all settled down and sleeping by now, well both of you and all is well tonight.
I do hope that you get positive help soon.
Best wishes, Jo

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Oh Anne how scary for you :( I immediatly thought he must have some kind of infection, worrying his sample is clear though. I hope things settle for you and you can get some rest tonight. You must be exhausted ((((hugs))))

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
What an awful night! I hope there's no repeat.
My Dad was given Mirtazapine to calm him down when he went into the care home from hospital, as he was verbally aggressive to staff and residents and threw objects around, thankfully not hitting anyone. It worked, he became settled, but not dopey, or listless, so for him I would say it was good, with no side effects up to now.
wishing you a peaceful night,
sleepless.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Anne

I hope you both have a goodnight tonight

Im assume they tested the sample of urine with a dipstick at the surgery. It is a pretty good test but testing in laboratory is best but takes days to get results back.
Sorry cant remember your other posts
I assume this behaviour is not ususal

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi Anne,have you got any other support ie CPN etc.
It sounds like you both need more help,are you doing all this care on your own.

Sorry to ask so many questions but I really don`t think a tablet is the answer here.

You sound that you urgently need help.like right now.

Please let us know how you are.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Oh dear Anne I am so sorry - this deterioration seems to have come on so suddenly. I remember how scary the nights were with David together with the combination of lack of sleep.

I do hope you get a better night tonight.

Sending love and (((HUGS)))

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Mirtazapine was most effective for my husband. It calmed him without knocking him out. He still had periods of restlessness but they were not as aggressive.
Sorry. I can`t remember how long it took for it to become effective.

dancer84

Dec 24, 2009
North East Eangland
Thanks everyone, it makes me feel so much better to have your support. We had a good night last night, John was asleep in the chair by 10 and only went to the loo once in the night.

Yes they just tested the urine sample in the surgery but have now sent it away to the lab, so will get the result next week. But I do think it will be clear.

I am going to ring the CPN this morning to let her know what has been happening.

As far as this aggression being unusual - no its not - he has been very aggressive if I argue with him for quite a long time - I've learnt not to do that, but for example this morning we went out with the dogs and he route marched all the way counting 123 -------etc all the way round at the top of his voice. When I ask him to stop or tell him to keep the dog on a shorter lead near the road he gets very angry, shouts at me and sometimes lifts his fist up. This has been a regular occurance for ages.I do think the sedative has been long overdue, so glad to hear that it has worked for other people.

I have to say though that the surgery were very supportive yesterday. He goes into respite for 2 weeks in a weeks time - boy do I need it!!
Thanks for your hugs and support. We are all in it together aren't we.
Love
Anne

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Mirtazapine is usually used as an anti-depressant, but it is commonly used for people who have problems with anxiety.

It is not truly a tranquiliser or sedative, but it does have properties that reduce anxiety and it can have a sedating effect. For these reasons it is very useful for depressed people who have trouble sleeping at night, and it is often prescribed to be taken last thing.

Unlike traditional tranquilisers (eg valium) or hypnotics (sleeping tablets) it is not addictive as such, although there can be symptoms of withdrawl if it is stopped suddenly. However, there is no problem with long-term use unlike the other drugs I mentioned which are normally used for short periods (two weeks or less) as they can rapidly induce dependence whilst the the same time becoming less effective.

I'm a long-term sufferer of clinical depression (now recovering from my fifth session) and have been taking Mirtazapine for some years. It helps to keep the depression at bay, with other tablets used in conjunction as necessary.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi there. Sorry things have been so bad for you. My mum has taken a dose of Mirtazapine at bed time for quite a while now. It was given as an anti depressant and she has never had any problems with it. My husband was changed from Citalopram to Mirtazapine last October but they had to change it to something else as it almost knocked him out. He is on Venaflaxin now. x

colin byrne

Feb 26, 2010
devon
Anne.My heart goes out to you. what a nightmare!
when you do get a chance to have some restful sleep,perhaps when he is in respite,I can recommend a great natural sleep aid.I am very wary of drugs and sleeping tablets. I have been a vey light sleeper all my life.I recently got into herbal teas. There is a brand caled Yogi tea.I dont know if you have come across it. yogi tea Bedtime is fantastic for a deeper sleep.It contains fennel,camomile and Valerian root, which i think is the main reason for the sedative effect.It was a revelation for me. Give it a try , and hang in there.

dancer84

Dec 24, 2009
North East Eangland
thanks Colin - I will look out for Yogi tea. I must admit that I hadn't heard of it. Do you get it from a health food shop?

John doesn't appear depressed it is just the frustration which I think is coming out in aggression. All day today it has been just under the surface. I spoke with the CPN today who was really pleased that I rang as she is reviewing John's case with the consultant next Wednesday. I had already told her about John's aggression when my grandson was staying in the school holidays. She said that the consultant may want to add something to the mirtazpine.

Today I risked John going out by himself with the dogs - he had his tracker with him fortunately as he got lost again. I was easily able to find him thanks to the tracker. He furiously denied that he was lost but he admitted he didn't know how to get home. So I need to a new strategy for dog walking - I guess I am going to get very fit!!

I always hate the weekends, roll on Monday when he goes to the Day Centre.
Love
Anne

Bronwen

Jan 8, 2010
Bristol
Anne...my heart goes out to you thinking of you in bed and John storming around...I know this feeling so well..I get scared and wish it was daylight again..it is so re-assuring to know there are other carers up at all times of the night with similar problems.

I do hope the CPN and dr can get him on to some medication that will help you both and so pleased you having respite soon.

love
Bronwen x