Padraig?

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hiya Cate

Padraig mentioned he would be a full 4 weeks in hospital (assuming no complications). Major, major ‘stuff’. With luck he is just about recuperating at home now?

I am sure he will be thrilled to know people are thinking of him.

Sorry, I have no specific news,

Kaz, x

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Thanks

Thank you so much of your support and thinking of me. Yes, I'm home and recovering slowly. The operation proved to be more difficult than expected, as I had to be kept on intensive care for over a week. After I was moved, there were more problems, two leaks at either side of my waist took weeks to heal.
I was allowed home after almost six weeks. I'm weak and very tired, plus am finding it very hard work to eat. My body has to get use to operating without a stomach, plus the scar across the width of my body has still to fully heal. As if that not enough, I'm a bag of bones. From a fit stocky 10 st, I'm reduced to eight and a half stone. At one stage I had nine tubes and bags attached to my body!
The main thing is that I'm alive just, and without the support of our son and daughter who are looking after me I hope to be able to walk and do things for myself again. So far I'm only three day at home. Once again thank you all your kindness towards me.

Beezed

Apr 28, 2009
Southampton
Dear Padraig,

So good to see you posting again. I am so sorry you have had such a traumatic time. We have all been worried about you.

Hope your recuperation goes well and so pleased you have the love and support of your son and daughter.

I send you my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Love from Jeanne

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
And bestest wishes from me too, Padraig, for your speedy recovery and resurgence on TP.

Do whatever's necessary, and then let us all know what you did and how you did it!!

Thinking of you.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Dear Padraig – wonderful to hear you are home and have even been able to log in briefly.

You are NOT a bag of bones – you are a survivor – this time of high risk upper GI surgery.

My hubby’s eating habits took months to adjust ... and even now –years on and in glorious remission – we know he will never regain his pre-op weight. So what? He’s here to tell the tale!!!!:)

And you’ve got a lot more to do yet! Please be kind to yourself until you regain more strength ... 12 months at least, I believe, to anything like ‘normality’ or the new ‘normality’ you will find for yourself ... and I know you will embrace with fortitude.

Much love, Karen, x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi

Do take care of yourself, you have been thro a tough time

hugs-desi-glitters-32.gif

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Dear Padraig

How lovely to hear from you. It sounds as if you have really been through it, but have come out the other side. You still a mountain to climb, but I am sure slow and steady and you will reach the top.

Take care of you.

Love
Cate xx

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
How nice it is to know so many people care.
One of the great advantages I've had in life is that it's not been a conventional life in any sense of the word. Of course like everything in life there's a down side and in my case I've often said things that are not to everyone's liking, but life is a learning process.

Having our daughter and son's support during my recovery has been a blessing. More than ever I feel the ever presence of my wife in them. I see her looks, kind nature and loving ways.
I have a number of goals; get back to fitness; continue with my new book. I've three and a half chapters completed but am finding it hard to begin. There is a mountain of official records from the 1930's to plow through. They reveal an unbelievable story that will shock and surprise many.
Cate, I intend to reach the mountain top in my own way and time; as soon as is possible.
Lin, I love your picture. I guess I never grew up or wish to. How lovely it would have been to have felt a hug like that.

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Progress

Cate,
Sorry I've not been on TP for a while. Too many days I've been feeling real bad fighting this 'illness'. After two weeks at home it comes as no surprise to find that I'm left to figure out what's best for me.
Friday I received a letter from the hospital informing me that I have been put on a waiting list to be assessed and treated by the Dietetics Team. I was also advised to ring a number with-in two (2) weeks of the date of the letter so they could arrange an appointment!
I rang the number and left a very blunt message of what I thought of their system. They got the message. I have an appointment this afternoon!

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Cate,
Sorry I've not been on TP for a while. Too many days I've been feeling real bad fighting this 'illness'. After two weeks at home it comes as no surprise to find that I'm left to figure out what's best for me.
Friday I received a letter from the hospital informing me that I have been put on a waiting list to be assessed and treated by the Dietetics Team. I was also advised to ring a number with-in two (2) weeks of the date of the letter so they could arrange an appointment!
I rang the number and left a very blunt message of what I thought of their system. They got the message. I have an appointment this afternoon!

No surprises there then! That's the way to do it! Well Done and here's hoping for a good outcome xx

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Padraig

Good to hear from you. I guessed you have had a fight on your hands with this illness, hope you are feeling a bit better.

I had to smile at your response to the Dietetics letter, they have no idea do they who they are dealing with, good for you.:D
Fingers crossed that it all goes well.

Love
Cate

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Learning

Not sure I learned a lot yesterday. After all who knows my body better than I? I've had it 79 years! It's often said here that we are all different and I know I'm as different as they come. I'm learning to accept I'll have to put up with with whatever pain that comes with this package. My aim is to be able to at least run a little by the 20th November when I return to the hospital for a progress check-up.
One person who knows of my background and learned of this latest problem I'm going through said: "You've had one awful lot of problems in life." My answer was and is: "When life deals you a whole lot of ****, put it to one side to ferment. It makes wonderful manure, and when used wisely it brings forth blossoms, fruit that enriches ones life." Best of all you can help others with having lived through the experiences.
Wish I could help more people caring for loved ones with AD by showing the CDs I made over the years as I cared for my wife on my own up to the time of her death. Thanks Cate and Mary for your support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar