Information on 'Lifeline' pendant for mum after fall..,,

silverlady

Jul 21, 2010
macclesfield
Hi
Mum was diagnosed VD 4 weeks ago.
2 weeks ago, I found her on the floor in her bedroom, she had been there approx 18 hours.
She was rushed to hospital and was found to have an irregular heartbeat and had to have a pacemaker fitted on Monday.
Mum was discharged yesterday, now I am looking at the pendant she can wear around her neck in case of any falls in the furture.

I need advice if any other person with Dementia has one?
Would they remember to press the button when in any kind of dangerous situation?
Anyone advise please

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
My Mum had one; thinking back she did not press it when she needed help on the very last occasion at home as she was so confused.... , I only found out she needed help because the phone was off the hook. And that makes me think surely there should have been some way of alerting for help then? There must be more upmarket systems. I don't know what else to suggest. Others may come on here.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Hi Pat

Mum has a careline but has never rememebered what it is for or what to do with it. However, I also know someone who I believe has an alarm to wear (on a belt?) which is triggered if she should actually fall.

If I can find out anything I will post again.

Best wishes
Mary
x

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Silverlady, hi
So sorry to hear your mum had a fall and needed to have an operation, what a worrying time for you. I'm pleased to hear that she is home and, hopefully, feeling better.
I would be tempted to try a pendant as see if she likes it, if not she won't want to wear it and it's no use in a box in the cupboard. Like most things with dementia I think there is no knowing what will and won't work, try everything and see how you get on, that's my motto!
Have you had a visit from an OT to see what else they can suggest to make life easier for you both, if you get in touch with Social Services or your GP then they can refer you.
Good luck, kind regards, Jo

silverlady

Jul 21, 2010
macclesfield
Thanks for your replies.
i think i will give it a try.
i have been with mum since she came out of hospital yesterday, apart from when i went to do her shopping earlier.
before i left at 2pm, i did her a brew and said i wont be long.
got back about 6.30pm, drink untouched and she was fast asleep.
cooked her a hot meal, which she ate a bit, then she fell asleep again.
i am sat here and she is still fast asleep, woke her half an hour ago because i did her a fresh brew,she had one small sip and gone straight back to sleep.
do you think she is ok, or maybe just exhausted from her stay in hospital.
when i leave her on her own all i do is worry and cant wait to get back to make sure she is ok.
SW said she has referred mum to OT, because i watched her get in bed last night and she climbs on her knees onto the bed and crawls along then turns over and lies down, at one point it looked like she was going to fall head first off the other side of bed.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Silverlady, hi
Oh how worrying for you, I think being that tired after hospital stay is normal, relaxing after the stress and not sleeping because of the noise and unfamiliar surroundings, hubby was the same.
So please you have OT coming out to give advice and suggestions, my heart goes out to you as you face this new stage.
Take care of yourself, best wishes, Jo

silverlady

Jul 21, 2010
macclesfield
Thanks jo.
talking point is more like a family to me than my brothers and sisters who have just got on with their own lives without a care in the world, while i am off work for the next 2 weeks due to 'familial stress'.
it is me doing all the sorting and caring, but to me its what any daughter would do.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Pat

I hope the OT will visit soon as this is a question for them, I think. In our area, the OT can refer you to the alarm scheme or you can contact the Council direct. We pay a small weekly rental for the careline. Our council also provides "telecare".

Mary
x

Willowgill

Mar 29, 2008
South Yorkshire
I had several things fitted in my parents house which at the end of the day didn't really help. Mum had a fall detector she was supposed to wear all day but she never remembered to put it on and it sat on her bedside table - she took it off if I put it on for her. We had a panic button fitted to the skirting board in the bathroom in case they fell but again forgot to use it when Mum fell in there one day. There was a mattress detector which was set to go off if she was out of bed for longer than it takes to get to the toilet and back but she was never a good sleeper so would get up earlier and trigger it - I was always worried about going in and frightening them to death so would look through the curtains to see if she was ok (heaven knows what the neighbours would have thought if they'd seen me). She had a pendant alarm but couldn't remember what it was for and is so deaf she couldn't hear the service people when they spoke to her through the intercom - I gave this to dad to wear and one morning received a call from the alarm company to say it had gone off but they could just hear dad laughing and telling them to 'get stuffed'. I realised then that the system just wasn't working for dementia sufferers so had it all taken out. I think it depends on the severity of your mum's condition - if she is still able to comprehend instructions the pendant would be fine or you could try the fall detector if she would wear it. The best thing is to contact the company and ask them to come out to talk to you and your mum.

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Hi
My stepdad had sensors fitted to the settee and Mums side of the bed which triggers an alarm he wears on his wrist when she gets up (in case he is in the garden or something).
My sister and him got the fright of their lives the other night when Mum appeared at the lounge door having got up and the alarm didn't go off!
Not much help to you I suppose but nothing is infallible and I find Mum can be very determined when she wants to do something.
Nanak
missing what has gone and scared of what is to come

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
Hi

My mother had a pendant to wear around her neck but never remembered to wear it. In the last couple of years she had no idea what it was for. The only time she ever pressed the button was out of curiosity when she 'discovered' the pendant lying around and then the company got annoyed as she couldn't reset it.

It's worth a try but don't sign up for it long term in case it doesn't help you as it was quite expensive.

R

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My mum has a pendant which was supplied by the social work department We pay a small cost each month for it. She calls it her medal. Not sure she knows what it's for or remembers how to operate it.

silverlady

Jul 21, 2010
macclesfield
Thank you all for your advice and comments on the pendant and various alarms.
I have been searching the internet and found that I can purchase the system for the pendant, cost around £55.00.
I am thinking of buying this because if I had the one from the Community services where they can call her or the 3 nominated numbers, they may get fed up if she presses it (in her confusion) and its not an emergency,( she often rings my brother to get her fish at night time)
At least if I bought one and set up the 3 numbers, a family member will be close by and can intervene without the need of the community support been in the 'middle'.
Got mum up this morning and she seems to be a bit brighter in herself than yesterday, thanks again to all