Does a difficult childhood increase the chance or contracting AD?

zed

Jul 25, 2005
London
My mum had a very traumatic childhood, she lived in poverty for the first few years of her life, her father was a political prisoner, they left their country when she was 9 and came to the UK as refugees, then her father died a few months later.

However, I personally don't think this has anything to do with her dementia. There are so many variables it would be hard to make a direct link. So many people have hard childhoods, many people get dementia.

If there was a higher level of dementia in countries where there has been a lot of problems such as war or revolution, maybe that would be some proof.

janices666

Jun 23, 2006
Kent
Does a difficult childhood increase the chance of contacting AD

Hi everyone, sorry i am new at this. My husband Colin age 66, was bought up in a childrens home and was abused and caned. He also got shot working for Securicor in 1979, and suffered with depression ever since. I do think that the trauma of all this has something to do with his AD.
Janice

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Janice,
Just wanted to welcome you to TP. I do wonder whether a trauma sometimes triggers something that is latent, or accelerates the start initial illness.
Helen

janices666

Jun 23, 2006
Kent
Amy said:
Hiya Janice,
Just wanted to welcome you to TP. I do wonder whether a trauma sometimes triggers something that is latent, or accelerates the start initial illness.
Helen
Hiya Helen.
Thank you for the nice welcome, it is nice knowing that i can talk to people who un
derstand what i am going threw.
Janice