I've gone and done it now - positive (i think)

WovenUnicorn

Aug 6, 2010
Lothian
I wasn't going to tell anyone about this but I'm bursting at the seams to share it with someone so here you go.

When Dad turned 80 I was planning to get a custom tattoo done to mark the occasion. For a variety of reasons I didn't get it done.

So, this afternoon I went to meet with a tattoo artist about my design and getting it drawn up ready for me to get it done. I've designed it from a well known image and I've made it unique by adding in a significant number.

My reason is that I want something that will physically connect me to Dad forever and I can't think of anything else. I have no idea how he'll react now that he's ill, he's not too keen on tattoos as a general rule but I think he'd quite like the thought behind this one. He didn't feel keen on ear piercings but he paid for my first lot...

This is not going to be a massive showy tattoo, it's about 3" in length and 1.5" in width, I'm getting it on my inside upper arm so it will be hidden even if I wear a t-shirt. I won't be mentioning it on the phone, I'll wait until we're face to face and make sure he's orientated first.

I am doing this for me because I want to. Maybe it is the wrong thing but he's with me in my heart, soul & DNA this seems a good way to honour that.

Open to thoughts about this or suggestions.

WovenUnicorn

Aug 6, 2010
Lothian
:D I figure the pain aspect won't be that bad because I'm so used to medical stuff being done to me. I admit I may be deluded.

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
I think it's lovely that you want to remember your Dad in that way but like Sylvia, rather you than me :) good luck anyway, let us know what Dad says. Love Pauline xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Woven Unicorn,

You sounded so excited about your idea and I am glad for you that you have come up with something that can make you feel so good:) Are we going to have to guess the design:D

Love

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Ouch! You do realise don't you that the inner arm is one of the most painful places :eek: A very macho friend of mine admitted to wincing when the celtic circle he was having done reached the inside.

But go for it! I fancied a tattoo when I got to 40 but decided it was a mid-life crisis. At 47 I still wanted one and had it done. Mine's in the small of my back and is my own design, Tree of Life, Sun, Moon and star. It's spread a bit since I've put 4 stone on though!

Best of luck, what a tribute to your dad that you are getting this done xx

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Well rather you than me :) but if you feel that strongly about it, then I say go for it. I would say though do it for you and not for your dad, he may not like it and they are not easily removed. If it makes you feel good then it can only be a positive decision. :) Good luck to you!

WovenUnicorn

Aug 6, 2010
Lothian
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies :)

Christin, I'm doing it for me, as I said in my first post on this topic because I want to. Maybe I won't even tell Dad, I'll just keep it a total secret because so long as I know it's there and why it's there I don't think anything else matters too much. Now I just sound totally selfish. :(

The design is based on an RAF Navigator Wing as worn with dress uniform on the left breast of the blazer. Within the design will be an extra tribute in the form of Dad's RAF service number.

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
I love it!

Well done you! I've been thinking of having a tattoo done for ages, and next year is my 40th, so I'm thinking that might be "the time".

It would be my first (and only!) tattoo, and I'm not as brave as you, so I'm thinking about a tiny little one on my wrist that could be covered with a bangle or watch, but it'll take a year to come up with the right design. I'm so chicken that I even want people to have to look twice to see if it's a strange shaped mole or actually a tattoo!!!

I'd love to have something symbolic; something that means something to me, my lovely late dad and my dear old mum. I'd want people to see a bit of ME, how I was, what sort of woman I was... especially if I end up like my mum and have to fight this dreaded disease. I want them to see I was impulsive, brave, a tiny bit rebellious, stupid at times, creative, silly and full of life.

I see myself on a bed, as she is now, and a carer spotting a dinky little red heart on my wrist bone and saying to a colleague "...ooooh, look. She was a nutter!..." "...oooh, rather her than me...!", "...ooooh, what a lovely design...", but more than anything "SHE LIVED".

So although mine will be very small, I want it for many reasons: memories, a tribute, and a symbolic message for later in life.

So, I say YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Take care,

Willowgill

Mar 29, 2008
South Yorkshire
Good for you - go for it! The design sounds great. I had a tatt done on my lower back about 8 years ago - it hurt like hell but I've never regretted it and my friend and then my daughter in law followed suit! My son's former girlfriend worked for a tattoo artist in London and she took me - it was a memorable occasion and I loved it all. My son (who has quite a lot - he's a musician) came into the tattoo parlour while I was having it done and was not amused! My husband wasn't either but I figured it was my body, my decision. It's not visable generally so I don't worry about what people think so you shouldn't either. I go to music festivals and see a a lot of young girls with full sleeves or huge tattoos on very visible parts of their bodies and just worry that they'll regret it when they're grown and have to go to a function in a formal evening dress! My mum and dad never seemed to be bothered by it once they'd realised it was there and this was before they developed dementia so I'm sure your dad will be fine.

WovenUnicorn

Aug 6, 2010
Lothian
Hello Everyone :)

I got the tattoo done on Tuesday afternoon. It wasn't at all the experience I was imagining it'd be. Can't say that it didn't hurt because that would be a lie, it just didn't hurt in the way I thought it would. The only thing I can liken it to is being scratched by a baby kitten or a bramble bush but as soon as the thing doing the scratching is away from the skin the pain vanishes.

Does that even make sense?

Most of the time I'd say it was pain scale 3/10 one tiny bit hurt quite a lot up to about 6/10 maybe 7/10 but it was just a tiny tiny bit so that only lasted for around 1min.

I'm so happy with how it looks. Early days in the healing I know, it should be healed in around 10days maybe 2wks. I go back to see my artist in 3wks for him to check it and make sure it's all ok.

If anyone would like to see a photo then that'd be ok by me, it ended up on the outside of my arm because I wanted to leave space to get another couple or so done on the same arm. Three are now in the planning stages.

Already know how to share images on boards so no hassle there, one thing I would say is that because of it being so personal and having Dad's service number running round the edge I will probably blank that part out, you'll still see the art just not the number :)

PS, not told Dad about it. Maybe I won't.

Last edited:

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
FANTASTIC idea! Have you been watching Miami Ink? Loads of people get tattoos with links to people they love. You sound so excited about it so of course it is the right thing to do! How could you regret something that makes you think of your dad? You won't.

Don't worry too much about his reaction or you might be disappointed if he doesn't react or doesn't like it. My dad hates tattoos and even if I did one related to him he'd hate it!
Remember you are doing it for YOU.

Please let us see it when it's done!
I'd love to get a tattoo!

3littlepigs

Sep 15, 2010
Derbyshire
Good for you. I've always wanted a tattoo since the age of 16 when I saw a beautiful one of a swallow on a ladys' back. I'm now 39 and determined to have one before I'm 40, it's one of my 'Before I'm 40.......challenges.'
I am also waiting for the correct time to go 'dancing naked in the rain.' Alone, I may add. It is apparently very liberating.
I'll let you all know when I have acheived these.
By-the-way, after 23 years I still haven't fully decided on a tattoo design.
Good Luck.;)

WovenUnicorn

Aug 6, 2010
Lothian
It's not the start of rebellious me, I've been a rebel all of my life. Sometimes it's fairly hidden and sometimes it's on display.

The tattoo is looking great, it doesn't look at all like it's just been done.

I'll get a photo and share it on this topic.

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
WU, I got a tattoo when I was 42, Winnie the Pooh & Tiger's face on Clairs 18th (she was having a grown up one:D)
then when Clair was 21 & I was 45, I had a butterfly (in lilac) both on the small of my back (like Vonny). The significance of these tattoo's is the fun of being with Clair as she grew up and setting her free @ 21 (I know she will always be connected to me but to set her free is to have her come back).
They are addictive and I have stopped myself from getting more.
The one thing that tickles me is the thought of being in a nursing home in later years and the carers needing to lift Pooh n Tiger up to dress me:D:D;):eek:
You go girl. xxx