does mom really have dementia

ceabea

Aug 31, 2010
wolverhampton west mids
sorry but this is the first time Iv'e done this but need any advice any one can give here's my story. my mom has always loved illness and the attention it brings and would often fake illness or make it look worse than it is if there were people around.she could drive a car and had a good social life untill she went to hospital with a stomach bug, to cut it short she fell out of the hospital bed straight on to her head resulting in a lot of stitches, since then she started saying strange things, it was bad to start with she was asking where my dad was who had died 30yrs ago ect, when she is seen by the doc he asks a few questions likeher name the date ect and he says she's doing ok, but now it seems selective ie she keeps on about money asking for her pension book, I give her money every week which she puts away and then says she has none and doesnt remembere me giving it to her,she seems to hoard it. occasionally she will go to the shop by herself (against advice as she is 84yrs and can't walk whem I am there) and buys scratch cards, she knows how to do them and if she has won. she does nothing for herself while I'm there but as soon as I leave she makes herself tea and food. she consummes my whole life and I love her dearly but I'm at my wits end and it feels like she is doing it just to me no one else see's this. please tell me if this is dementia

Last edited:

lucy i

Jul 28, 2007
berkshire uk
Hi There,
It is impossible to say whether your mother has dementia or not but I can tell you that from experience with my dad dementia can make a persons character change considerably. He has periods of being quite deceitful & manipulative as well as the more commonly understood forgetfulness. In terms of getting professionals to help this is incredibly difficult due to human rights protection etc and it can take years to get health professionals to take action. Good Luck
:)

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Brain injury can cause similar symptoms, I believe, and the brain takes the longest to heal of any organ. I am sure I saw that on a TV documentary - (I hasten to add, I am not medically trained). Plus, a friend of mine was once hit on the head by a brick and she had real problems in all sorts of ways afterwards for a year or more. I would suggest that you go back to the doctor and mention your concerns - you want a neuro opinion, I would suggest. It may be dementia, but I would think it could be something else altogether.

Good luck x

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
Its a bit puzzling really as to what is happening to her.
I wonder if she is coping being alone now, its a bit worrying her going out alone like that.
I am wondering if you ought to stay if possible at least for a couple of days just to monitor what is going on especially at night (is she sleeping properly), has she got a urine infection etc.
The head injury might be responsible for some of her odd behaviour, but you say she has been like that before she had the injury so its quite odd. I would have thought if she had dementia she would not know how to do scratch cards?

ceabea

Aug 31, 2010
wolverhampton west mids
thank you

Thank you for your reply's it means a lot, Mom is under the memory clinic but as you all know it is hard to get any kind of diagnosis from them. they see her every 6months. I have insisted they do an MRI this time, I stay with her quite alot, and apart from repeating herself a lot, and asking where people are eg my father two of my brothers (all Deceased) her routine is ok, she eats well drinks plenty and still asks for horlicks at 8.30, she Likes to be taken out every day to the shops. I really don't know what to expect of someone with dementia, the sad thing is the rest of the family are not interested they say its the boy who cried wolf syndrome...I hate to think she is suffering but I also hate to think she would or could exagerate this for attention. i will let you know the MRI results. thanks again