Has anyone made an official complaint to a care home?

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
We're still having problems with Grandad's care home, we are reluctant to move him because he is settled and mostly unaware or unable to comprehend the problems going on (although we have found another home we could move him to if we have to).

We've complained verbally, spoken to the CSSIW, contacted our AM and are getting increasingly frustrated by a management who seem to not be interested in Grandad's best interests, covering their own backs and who seem to hold all the cards. They (and the CSSIW) talk about the owners rights etc, but no one can tell us Grandad's rights.

Can anyone tell me if they have put in an offical complaint in writing, and did it affect the care their relative received and their relationship with the carers.

Also will it make any difference to put it officially in writing as we've already raised most of the points verbally to various staff.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Fredsnail,

When Peter was in the E.M.I Unit, a certain nurse when on duty use to threaten Peter with "Christine is comeing and you had better get dressed or she will be cross".

I knew Peter was agitated over something and asked one of the Staff what was going on.

Although the Manager was brilliant, I did explain I did not want Peter threatened (plus there were bruises on his arms). When the Manager made enquiries with staff on the Unit, she was dismissed.

I did find out that she was doing the same to others and I took the steps I did to protect all on the Unit.

Christine

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Dear Fredsnail,

Yes I have made a formal complaint which caused an official enquiry with the QCQ, the police, Senior Social Worker Staff, the Care Home manager and the CPN were all involved. The complaint was of a very serious nature. I felt that the ensuing enquiry was extremely fairly conducted and all my points regarding the incident were investigated.

I was satisfied with the outcome and although some of the staff knew of the complaint, not one of them acted in any other way but professionally. Ken's care was excellent and I was and still am made welcome at the home although the complaint was about one of their colleagues.

When your verbal complaints have been ignored, then you have no other choice but to complain in writing. I would also point out in your written complaint that your comments had been made verbally to no avail and that you have no other choice but to make a formal complaint. I would also send a copy of the complaint to the CQC (address can be found on the internet using the search engine), the Head of your LA Social Services and to your local LINKs organisation

If we do not complain (and complement) then how will things improve for our loved ones, who after all have no other voice but ours. I hope that your complaints are resolved properly, as mine were. Good luck to you.

xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I made an official complaint against the home my mother was in and it certainly affected the way I was treated by staff.
I do not think it had an adverse effect on the way my mother was treated.
I have to say this was in the days before CSCI and CQC and my report went directly to Social Services.

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
Many thanks to everyone who's replied, why does it feel so difficult to complain about poor practice when there is someone vulnerable involved:(.

Polly H

Nov 26, 2009
Hello Fredsnail,

I haven't yet made an official complaint but the Age Uk factsheet No. 59 "how to resolve problems and make a complaint about the local authority" is very informative. I recommend it to you. It explains that the Local Authority and NHS have joint procedures now (w.e.f. 2009) and takes you through the process.

The obvious next step is to formally complain to the care home, starting the ball rolling by asking for their complaints procedure. If it isn't forthcoming write to them asking for a copy and for a copy of their records of your verbal complaints. It would be useful if you had the date(s). The follow the steps in the Age UK leaflet when dealing with the home. You will be following "good practice" and well prepared if you need to refer it on to the Local Authority or NHS. If you get no response then this won't look good when you refer!

Hope this is helpful.

Polly H :)

Polly H

Nov 26, 2009
Sorry Fredsnail,

Should have said. You can get the factsheet via the Age UK website.

Polly H

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
Many thanks to everyone who's replied, why does it feel so difficult to complain about poor practice when there is someone vulnerable involved

My Mum and I have the same issue at the moment. My nan is in hospital and we can't help but feel she has recieved inadequate care at the home.

Apart from the normal stuff like her clothes going missing, they lost her teeth and she had pressure sores which weren't identified before she was admitted to hospital.

The problem is, she is really well liked and they are such lovely people at the home and we really want her to go back rather than go into nursing care somewhere else.

It sounds like your concerns aren't being listened to and if you're frustated by that, then you probably do need to put it in writing. You might find your concerns get resolved and you've helped everyone else! I hope it works out.

Polly

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for replying Polly H and Pollyanna - I will take a look at the factsheet tomorrow.

Care Bear

May 28, 2010
Hi Fredsnail, I made a complaint about the nursing home my aunt was in. There was a long list of things I felt needed to be addressed and I went to my aunt's social worker about them. She was lovely and did a visit to the home and set up an appointment with the manager.

The concerns I had were addressed and correctly to my satisfaction. However, I do feel the staff look on me as 'the one who complained!' But if I'm being honest I don't care what they think, my aunt's care is more important.

Her lovely social worker handled the situation very well and I was very lucky to have her support.

Amy

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Of course, if you are self-funding you do not have a social worker to assist, you are on your own.

I wouldn't go the care home manager with a long list, just the things that you are most concerned about. The others can come later.

Good luck

Margaret

Of course, if you are self-funding you do not have a social worker to assist, you are on your own.

I wouldn't go the care home manager with a long list, just the things that you are most concerned about. The others can come later.

Good luck

Margaret[/QUOTE

Not sure about that: Mother has a Social Worker who has been a help in finding respite care, although apart from the Council's respite vouchers she would be, and will be, completely self-funding. SW is from the Elderly Mental Health Team where SS and NHS work together. So if you haven't got a SW, might be worth trying to get one. Local AS would know about local situation. Pam

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger