Initial diagnosis

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Meercat:

We firstly went to the GP to report my husband's severe memory problems plus other confusions. He was ultimately referred to the Mental Health Team, Consultant, and from there he had some tests conducted by a Psychologist. After some 18 mths it was confirmed he had Alzheimers, but following that he had a stroke, so it was changed to Mixed Dementia.

Along the way the CPN (Communithy Psychiatric Nurse) was taking notes on my interpretation of his behaviour.

Are you asking because your Mum has not yet been diagnosed? Is she reluctant to see a GP? That part of it is very hard.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We had initial visit to GP. He then referred Bill to the memory clinic at the hospital. He had a few visits there then he was sent for a brain scan. At the end of all of this process we had an appointment with the consultant back at the hospital. At this meeting we were told that Bill had dementia of an Alzheimer's variety.

Hope this helps.

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
mum was took to hospital with low sugar when she recovered she was still asking the same questions the Dr asked if we had been referred to memory clinic when we said no he wrote to our GP recommending a referral which she did and after scans and test we were told she had AD larivy

Meercat

Aug 13, 2010
Thanks Jan and Izzy.

I have shared symptoms with the doctor but M has refused to go.
We have only broached the subject once but her reaction has put me off trying again.
I'm scared that it will take an accident or M getting lost before something is done.

Also, when she does go for treatment she is unable/refuses to relay what has been discussed.
If dementia is diagnosed how can we help if she won't tell us?
Will the doctor refer her to the other agencies without our knowledge?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Is there any chance she would let you come along to the GP with her. At one point I wrote a letter to mum's GP documenting her behaviour and my concerns. He kept this in mind when he met with us. I don't have Power of Attorney for mum but her GPs are really good in terms of keeping me in the loop with everything. I suppose the difference is though that mum wants me to come to her appointments.

Meercat

Aug 13, 2010
I don't live close enough.
On my last visit, I wrote to doctor and booked appointment. I then broached subject with M, but there was no way she was going to the doctors. I had to cancel appointment.

I made matters worse as she was then more confused and upset. I think I really went about it the wrong way - but I can't lie about why we're going to the doctotrs surely? - as it will be obvious when we get there if the doctor starts asking questions?

HELP!!

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
perhaps if you make a appointment for your mum but you go and explain whats happening with your mum he might have a suggestion might be worth a try larivy

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Meercat, hi
Sorry it's the start of little white lies, we all use them and they save our sanity. I don't know how or when you will start but we all do.
Kind regard Jo

Meercat

Aug 13, 2010
Because I live so far away, I've had to send 2 letters.

The surgery have asked for M to go in for blood test and its with Dr rather than nurse - is it likely that Dr can act on information from relatives like this? - I'll be relieved if it is

Meercat

Aug 13, 2010
Thanks Jo1958
I so wish I had come to the forum before my last visit to M.

White lies would have enabled me to visit doctor, neighbours, and see friends instead I sat in with family and M, making eveyone miserable:(:(

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
maybe just a excuse to get your mum there or they could be looking for diabetes that can cause confusion larivy

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Meerkat
Some people tell little white lies-like "Everyone your age is getting a health check-it's part of a national thingy to keep you fitter longer" and quite often if it is explained that it is free and not going to cost older people may go along with it. Things like underactive thyroid, vitamin deficiencies,or anaemia need to be ruled out(all can be done by blood tests)
These need to be ruled out before more extensive tests

All the best

Julie xx

Meercat

Aug 13, 2010
I'm also having to be a detective - piecing together what M's told people and extracting the information I think is correct.

At the moment I'm having to build bridges from afar, which isn't easy. Hopefully if she gets referred to someone or needs further tests she'll tell one of us.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan