It just hurts

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Hi,

I don't write here as much as I did. I try to think life is normal, but it isn't.

I know a lot of you are going through far worse than me, but mum is getting a lot worse. I can't go into everything - she is just getting worse.

Today it hurts. I phone mum every morning without fail to say hello and to tell her what day it is. Today she can't tell the time. She has lots of clocks (all different sizes etc) and they are all correct. She can't tell that it is 9.30. She has told me that she can't understand the time. She has written down 9.30 on a pad. How sad... my poor mum can't tell the time anymore :(

She also repeats everything I say. She asks me to repeat everything I say. She cannot understand what I am saying.

Sorry, like I say, I know many of your are going through far worse. I just needed to talk. I am at work, close to tears - I can't go on about mum to everyone - it is not fair - so I just needed you today.

xxxxx

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
Dear Michele

I was so sad to read your post, I hope that you have found comfort in posting again here and I know that others will be along shortly to offer you support.

Yours is the second post I've read recently about someone suddenly not being able to tell the time, its yet another part of this horrible illness. My mother can still tell the time but has no concept of time (bit odd, that, when she tells me what time it is but doesn't know what it means).

I hope you soon feel a bit calmer.

R

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
Hi Michele

I understand how you feel. Its heartbreaking to see our mums deteriorate. It took me a while to comes to terms with it. Please try not to get too upset I know its easier said than done.
Sending you a huge (((((((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))
Love Dibs (Deborah) xxxxx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Michele, I'm so sorry you are feeling bad today.
I'm not sure if this will help but there are such things as talking watches which tell the time when you press a little button on them. I an am not sure if this would help your mum, but it might.

Blue19

Jul 8, 2010
Thinking of you

Hello Michelle

A huge hug. Your post so touches me. Following a stroke two years ago, my dad developed vascular dementia. He is now blind and doesn't know me. There's often been moments that I can't quite believe my darling dad can no longer do something and each of those moments are etched on my heart.

Thinking of you.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Michele
A ((((hug)))) for you

Its so so hard isnt it.
We are all at different stages here , of this awfull disease.
You are following in some of our footsteps as others are following in yours

Reading posts here you may think at times that , what you are going thro is little compaired to others, but believe me we know the truth. Its ALL HARD !

JT does help to come here n have a rant or put your thoughts and feelings down , Ive done that a lot ,So I know. :)

Just try to remember you are doing your best !!! Xxx

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

Hiya michelle, sending you one of our biggest HUGS my good friend and hope your day gets a little better, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxx

Bronwen

Jan 8, 2010
Bristol
Hello Michele...Please always post on TP, when you are sad especially..it has been a life line to me.

My husband has dementia (3 years now)and has no concept of time, can't read any clock, and thinks day is night and vice versa..it is so sad to see our loved ones deteriorate like this and I hope that receiving support from us helps you.

love
Bronwen x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Adding my own hugs. Please take care. Izzy x

Attachments

• group-hug-coloured.jpg
    group-hug-coloured.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 410

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Michelle, it's heartbreaking when skills like telling the time are lost. I used to ring Mum from work every morning at 9am to get her to take her tablets for high blood pressure. Sometimes it would take 45 minutes to get her to take two tablets. I think every stage of this illness is so cruel.

Turbo

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Michele, hi
It does hurt doesn't it, it hurts and can't be helped. My hubby now can't understand time, it's frustating for him and makes him more dependant and means another shift in our relationship. I hope you feel stronger soon, my thoughts are with you and your mum.
Kind regards, Jo

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
IM ALSO AT WORK MICHELLE SORRY YOUR FEELING FED UP QND LIKE YOU I RARELY COME ON HERE KEEP YOUR CHIN UP, SORRY ABOUT CAPITALS IVE JUST LOOKED UP:eek::eek:

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
hi michele its very hard to watch our love ones detereating sending you a big big hug

Attachments

• big_hugs_cat_cc-b0fba7971beec35c71ea28ef5794cdf5[1].gif
    big_hugs_cat_cc-b0fba7971beec35c71ea28ef5794cdf5[1].gif
    53.7 KB · Views: 313

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Yes it does hurt. FIL often asks me the time and when I tell him he looks puzzled and says 'yes, but what's the real time!' Changes in daylight, changes in weather, and having ams and pms don't help. I hope you are feeling a little better. x

Royalslady

Jan 29, 2009
Big hugs Michelle - there are good days and bad days ..... but its on those bad days that we all need support. I remember when my Mum was like that and your post really touched me and brought back memories .... the important thing is she has you there and she will get a lot of comfort and reassurance from that.

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
To my dear Michele,

I have noticed you are not posting as often and wish that you would, because i really think you need to talk more and get it off your chest - so to speak, and we are all here for you as well as everyone else that needs help/advice/friendship.

My mother here can hardly read notes, even if printed on computer, she takes words and sentences and moves them around to what she thinks can make sense. Mostly it doesn't:rolleyes:

Anyway, please be aware and don't be scared we are here for you.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Oh Michele,

I just had to send you a hug.

We're all thinking of you.

Maggie

Attachments

• hugs_to_you-1786[1][1].gif
    hugs_to_you-1786[1][1].gif
    128.6 KB · Views: 186

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi Michele

I'm new here and don't remember any of your previous posts but you have clearly been through things for longer than I have.

My mum told me just yesterday that she can't tell the time any more. She thought it was half past 4 when it was half past 7. Then when I told her it was half 7 she said she should be in bed - which is also sad cos she never goes to bed normally till after she has ogled Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight!

This disease sucks big time.

It's these little things that seem to hurt so much! The little things that mean a lot.

hugs (((())))

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Michele

I`m so sorry life is getting more difficult for your mum.

It`s so much harder for those caring for parents who still live alone than it is or those of us caring for parents and partners who live with us.

Is there any chance your mother is ready for residential care yet? I hope it doesn`t sound like I`m saying `put her in a home`. I know you can`t do that. But it does sound as if she`ll besafer and even happier with some com[any and 24 hour care.

It`s such a tough decision.

Love xx