Self harm

jean3

Oct 18, 2007
South Lakes
My mum is still at home with 3 carers she really likes. Recently a habit she has has shown itself more often/severely and I don't know what to do.
If anyone tries to get her to do something she doesn't want to or stop her doing something inappropriate, she will do as requested but expresses her annoyance by hitting herself. Any advice appreciated.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Jean, hi
Sorry I don't have any relevant advice but I can sympatise with your situation and the worry it must be causing you.
Kind regards, Jo

Pacucho

Jean

I just read your thread. Are you able to provide more details as regards the inappropriate behaviour.

If, for example, this involves your mum dropping food and drink onto the carpet this is something I let my mum do and clean up afterwards. This avoids any confrontation.

Regards

Paco

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Yes, my mum does this too, and it is distressing to watch, she seems to get overcome with annoyance and head bangs, or punches her heads with clenched fists, or sometimes (most scary of all) makes a really determined effort to pull out her own hair.

I have never actually seen her pull out hair successfully (as it were) (God forbid).

Mum's doctor put her on citalopram three weeks ago and since then we have had no further incidents. It was happening at least once a week, maybe more like twice or three times a week. Much more likely during sundowning, which I always associate it with. At times like that I am even more extremely careful how I handle her than normal, in case something provokes an attack, but they come out of the blue often, when you can think you are having quite a pleasant afternoon!

I am so sorry; this is probably no help to you at all, except to let you know you're not alone!

Good luck - let us know how things go x

jean3

Oct 18, 2007
South Lakes
Reply to advice

Thanks for your comments - it is a help to know there are others out there who understand.
Paco we are very easy going with most things and certainly let mum eat how she likes.
It's when she does something dangerous or destructive like pulling the long heavy curtains which ended coming off the wall and falling on top of her when all the carer had said was 'come and sit down with me Bee'

I'll make a note of citalopram. Your mum sounds very like mine piedwarbler. We're trying her on Kalms tonight to help her sleep through as she's been seen outside the house at 3am. They might help soothe her touchiness through the day too.

Jean

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet