NEW bit of background

jolt

May 28, 2006
Bradford
Hi all, Iam 35 & my dad is 63. I have cared for him the last 4+ years & in the year just gone he has declined fast to the level of no speech unless prompted & can not walk very well etc etc. He runs me ragged on all levels but we have some laughs on the way.

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
A new bit of background

Hi Jolt,
Welcome to TP. You seem to be coping really well with your Dad's dementia. Do you have a chance of a break sometimes? Some people go to a Day Centre or have respite care so their carers can go on holiday. My mother has been in a nursing home for seven months now following a fall and a fractured hip. Before that she was coping well in an ordinary care home. She was vague but still able to carry on a sensible conversation. Now she can get very confused and depressed although I think she is finally settling down in her home.
Take care,
from Kayla

jolt

May 28, 2006
Bradford
Thanks

Hi Kayla, Hope your mum settles down well very soon! My dad has his first day care centre on monday just getting more help arranged now, he needs someone with him all the time now if he falls he can not get back up on his own. I have not been on holiday for ages on my own, I have taken my dad with me. take care Jolt

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
jolt, just wanted to send you a special hug.

It must be hard dealing with your dad. He sounds very like my dear Lionel.

Love,

Attachments

• Little hug.gif
    Little hug.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 347