Sinking

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
alex
just wanted you to know your in my thoughts, ive been were you are now with my mum, and its not a nice place to be.
you'll get through this becouse you have to, just take care of yourself,
i'll be saying a prayer for you and ray over the weekend
xxx

johnw

May 14, 2006
manchester
what to say

Alex, I can only echo what our virtual friends have written above and to let you know I join them in the vertual hugs for you and Ray. God Bless you both.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Alex
I have no words to offer which would make any difference.
I do send you best wishes and may you find the strength to carry on your caring.
Kind thoughts
Norman

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Alex

I just wanted you to know that although I've not said anything in this thread, I've followed it and been thinking of you each day. There's little I can add to what the others have said. Years ago I sat for days watching my first partner die, attached to all the machines in intensive care .... I can identify with what you say about willing him to keep breathing - watching the monitors, waiting, watching, endless bl@@dy waiting, holding my breath waiting for him to breathe.

I'll be thinking of you this weekend with love. There's no words of comfort other than to echo someone's signature here (I'm afraid I can't remember who's) "this too in time will pass".

hugs Áine

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Áine, by posting you show us all that there is hope for the future, thank you, I think it cannot have been easy.
Alex thinking of you.
Love Amy

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Saying goodbye!

Hi everyone
As usual i'm dashing, just back for a quick shower and change.

Lots of visitors visiting the hospital at the moment, saying their goodbyes and thats really upsetting. Don't want them to!!!!! I never will!

Feel like telling them all to go away!!! If they can say goodbye, then they don't love him as much................................

Sorry i can't say much at the moment, too upset!

I will reply to all the PMs as soon as i get a few moments to myself.

Thanks again
Alex

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Saying goodbye!

Hi everyone
As usual i'm dashing, just back for a quick shower and change.

Lots of visitors visiting the hospital at the moment, saying their goodbyes and thats really upsetting. Don't want them to!!!!! I never will!

Feel like telling them all to go away!!! If they can say goodbye, then they don't love him as much................................

Sorry i can't say much at the moment, too upset!

I will reply to all the PMs as soon as i get a few moments to myself.

Thanks again
Alex

alex

Apr 10, 2006
One extreme to another

Hi everyone

Please ignore the last message i sent, i really don't know whats wrong with me, i seem to be swinging from one extreme to another at the moment. I was just feeling so angry at everyone, but most of all myself.

I have had a meal and a few hours sleep and i feel like a different person.

The last few days have been very difficult and I could not really tell the full story as there was not time, but here goes:

The consultant called us in on thursday and went through the conversation that we have been through so many times before, and i know i should be used to it, but i'm not. It still hurts just as much every time i hear it.........."I'm so sorry to have to tell you this, but he has taken a turn for the worse, he is not responding to the antibiotics and as you know, he is not a candidate for intensive care. We believe he will die either tonight or sometime tomorrow (Friday)"
however they did say that they would not withdraw treatment as they wished to make him as comfortable as possible to reduce any suffering or distress.

I pointed out that we had been down this road so many times before and he had proved them wrong. They said it was different this time as previously he had help from the life support machines and this time he does not. They then said they were sure he would not survive the weekend and under the circumstances they would make arrangements to move him into a private cubicle for privacy.
They then informed us that staff had been informed that resuscitation would not be attempted under any circumstances.

As things stand at the moment he is still alive, his temperature has been stable for 36 hours and tonight he has opened his eyes a few times, only for a few seconds, but considering that he has been unconscious for days without sedation, it has got to be a good sign. Don't get me wrong, i know he is still very, very ill, but i somehow feel hopeful.

Last night his nurse said the consultant wants to see me on monday and my first though was that it will be about palliative care, i'm not sure which way it will go now but i still feel nervous about it.

I still believe that he will let go when he is ready and until then i just have to be there for him. I know he is not out of the woods yet and i know it can still go either way. I also know that a lot of people might think i'm being cruel by hoping he lives through this, but i can't wish him dead whatever happens.
If they withdraw treatment, i would feel as though i was playing a part in killing him.

If things did go the wrong way, the one thing i would miss is talking to you all, (even though its virtual) as you are all such lovely people, i've only just discovered you all a couple of months ago and i would be sorry to lose that.

I just wanted to say thank you very, very, very, very much, i'm sure your prayers are helping (I'm beginning to believe there is a God afterall!) and i am truly thankful to you all for your kind support.
Special thanks to Wendy, Angela, Amy & John for everything, your help and support is priceless.

Kind regards from a hopeful Alex x

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Alex,
Just off to bed, been doing some work, but saw your post come in. Your fella certainly is gutsy.
If things did go the wrong way, the one thing i would miss is talking to you all, (even though its virtual) as you are all such lovely people, i've only just discovered you all a couple of months ago and i would be sorry to lose that.
No matter what happens, we will still be here Alex, and wanting to talk to you. I for one feel very privileged the way you have wanted us alongside to share this journey with you.
Must go to bed, work tomorrow; thinking of you.
Love Helen

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
No matter what happens, we will still be here Alex, and wanting to talk to you." "

Hi Alex....just want to echo what Helen said...
good luck for today
Wendy
x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Alex - I have just read your last post from this morning and just feel anguish for you. I do wonder how you are and my thoughts and prayers are for you. You have been absolutely wonderful so far so keep up your strength (glad you managed a bit of sleep) Thinking about you. Best wishes BeckyJan

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Alex, would do anything I could for you, (in the virtual sense!) but will NOT ignore you! If you can't post when you want, as you want and how you feel at that time then we would be a sorry lot!

Just sending an extra hug, admiring your strength and, yes, still saying prayers for you both......

With love, Karen, x

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Pathway

Hi everyone

The pest is back again, sorry for being such a pain in the butt, i just need to get this out as its killing me!

Things did not go very well at the hospital today, consultant said he does not think Ray is getting any better ( They are saying he now has Aspiration Pneumonia, probably caused by breathing in fluid/stomach contents whilst fitting) and he wants us to put him on the PATHWAY! I'm horrified!

How can i make that decission, i would feel as though i was playing a part in his death and i know i can't live with the guilt of that decission. What if i get it wrong?

I can't look at him because i know what i know, its as if he might see it in my eyes and think its what i want!

I feel disloyal even thinking about it and i don't even want the thought in my head.

Once again i'm in turmoil.

Alex

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
oh Alex, I really feel for you. How wretched to have to make these decisions. As to "what if i get it wrong?" , maybe the whole idea or right and wrong breaks down in situations like these. You can only do the best you can in a horrendous situation.

hugs

Áine

ps. there's no way i see you as a "pest" or a "pain in the butt" and I don't imagine anyone else around here does either. only wish there was more we could do to help