Who let the dogs out!

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Right here's a new problem for you all. My Mum has taken to getting up extra early and coming inot the living room to see if I am up. The problem is she then goes back inot her annexe leaving the kitchen door open, and occassionally the adjoining door to her annexe. This means her dog can potentially get to my cat - who he HATES!!!! I don't mind her wandering, but I am worried about the anmimals. I have thought about a baby alarm but I don;t want to be woken needlessly if she is just walking around. Also about a bolt on the kitchen door but I thnk she would be devastated if she thought this was to stop her coming through (even though it's to safeguard the cat), and I'd be worried if she did really want me she would not be able to get thorugh and call me.
I think I will have to go for some kind of lock and a baby alarm, but would like other thoughts please.

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
HIya

what about a stairgate/baby gate at the door to keep the dog out? Depends if the cat or dog would jump over... (my cat wouldnt)

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Hi Bristolbelle
Is it possible to shut the cat into a room overnight that your mum won't go into? That way she'll still be free to come and go in the mornings.I understand your concern,I worry that when I'm out Gary will open the front door and let the dogs out - haven't worked out an solution to that one yet! (it hasn't happened yet)
xelaine

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Thanks...

The trouble with a stairgate is the cat is used to our dog so tends to think they are all friendly even though her dog has savaged him before.
As for a spare room, the only other room would be our lounge and that is where our budgie and cockatiel live - and they would be at risk form the cat lol!

MJW

Sep 24, 2009
East Sussex
Suggest you tether the dog at night - on a longish and soft lead so that it can get in a comfortable position to sleep and does not feel too "punished" by the experience.

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Thanks again...

It's Mum's dog that is the problem and she would go crazy if I tried to tether him. This is the woman who would not allow one of our old dogs in the living room, and never allowed any pet upstairs or on furniture, who now has a folded duvet on the end of her bed and panics if her dog will not sleep on ther instead of in his usual bed (how dementia changes people). I thought about a pressure pad but as I mentioned I don't mind her wandering, it's just the animals I'm worried about. My latest idea is to put the cat in a dog crate at night, because then if her dog gets in at least he(the cat) will be protected. Puzzles puzzles.....

miss cool

Jul 20, 2010
taunton
HI i think that idle is good puttimg the cat in the dog basket, sorry i had to laf at the reson the cat could not go into the lounge,you have birds as well. I love animals to. best of luck. love Miss Cool xx

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
I think the last idea of putting the cat in a dog crate is a good one, unless you have an outhouse you could make cosy enough for the cat? Good luck, it's an unusual problem! Love Pauline x