Bit down today

leslin48

Jun 26, 2010
middlesbrough
Third day for mum in care home today, she says the girls are lovely (CARERS) but says the ladies are not pleasant, spent 3 hours with her and had lunch in dining room with her, my mother is a chatty person and i noticed when she tried to talk to them they didnt answer this upset me as mum is such a friendly person and to think she hasnt made friends yet is hurting me,

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Hi Leslin

Its early days yet, it takes time for people to make friends. So maybe give it a little more time and I'm sure things will improve.
Take care XXX Chris :)

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Linda,

Chris is right - it is early days yet.

Care home residents can be very slow to accept changes of any kind to their environment, including new residents.

I would mention your concern to the carers and they may be able to help your mum start building bridges with the other ladies.

I'm sure the carers have seen it all before and probably know all the personalities and issues involved.

Take care,

MJW

Sep 24, 2009
East Sussex
I've noticed that my parents don't interact much, if at all, with other residents in their care home. I think this is due at least partly to the fact that virtually all the residents are living "in their own little worlds" and hardly seem to notice other people. I wonder if, once they lose the ability to recognise someone, then they actually start not to register their existence. It does seem odd that, for example, my mother sometimes thinks she is in her own home, but makes no mention of all the carers and other residents being there.

Having said that, apparently during the day (when I don't visit) there are group activities which everyone joins in, and so I think over time your mother will probably come to be recognised (quite literally!) and familiar to the other ladies in her home. Mum made quite a good friend in her previous home: they were virtually inseparable during the day, but Mum could never remember her name or even that they shared a room.