Why?

MGB

Jun 26, 2008
Shrewsbury
Mums been settled in EMI residential home now for ages. Get the call from the home she is now hitting people so has to move to nursing now. Feel so down again now all over again i have to look at care homes and she has to get used to a new one. I know the illness is getting worse so why she has to move but it feels so wrong.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Rach

I really feel for you. Perhaps there is a higher ratio of staff to resident in nursing care, I expect so.

I have discussed the probability of being asked to move my husband if his condition deteriorates and have been reassured he will stay there to the end. I do hope so. It`s a nightmare to have to make alternative arrangements.

Mind you I did move my mother, but that was because I wasn`t happy with the home she was in. The staff at the new home helped with the move and she was much more settled in her new home.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Rach,

I agree with Sylvia that the nursing element should contribute to your mother getting the type of care that she needs at this stage in her illness.

I think nurses can have more training in dealing with challenging behaviours and can also spot other health issues (such as urinary tract infections) that can make such behaviours worse.

Also, with the nursing staff on hand, some health issues can be dealt with there in the home, without requiring the potentially distressing trip to hospital.

With this increased need for care, your mum should be assessed for NHS Continuing Healthcare (NHS CC):

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=200203&documentID=399

People who don't qualify for NHS CC initially can often qualify for NHS-funded nursing care (which should be assessed as part of the same process):

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/452

Take care,

MGB

Jun 26, 2008
Shrewsbury
I have asked about the CC and told she may not get it yet. She will be self funding still for now. I hope she settles quick when she is moved as it took a long time in the home she is in at the moment.

Thanks for your thoughts.