Desperate situation - help and support please.

Gabriella

Jan 21, 2009
Portsmouth
Hi everyone,
Our family is in a crisis situation at the moment and I don't know where to start. It will help me if I write down some of the details in a 'diary of events' format.
* Mum has been deteriorating quite rapidly over the last 1-2 mths.
* Until recently still being cared for at home by my dad and family.
* Mum has had 5 falls in the last month, last one she had some lacerations and bruising.
* Most recent fall on 4th July, resulted on admission to A & E, experience there was pretty horrendous, staff just did not know how to communicate with her, despite being told many times she has advanced dementia and will not understand all of your questions.
* They diagnosed a chest infection and UTI, also said she had arhythmias. When we were there, one of the support workers tutted when we asked for help getting mum onto a commode.
Mum went through all of the routine assessments, she was very traumatised.
They wanted to admit her to medical assessment, my sister and I said we felt this would not be best for mum, as we were so afraid she would be neglected and either try to get out of bed and fall, or meet with staff that have no clue regarding care and communication with a dementia patient.
* We brought her home, with antibiotics and a plan for rapid response to call every day to check her vital signs etc.
* Mum was unwell and we continued to care for her. On day 4, rapid response concerned, mum was clammy to touch, BP high, temp high, tachycardic. GP called. (mum had been on antibiotics 4 days at this stage) He was concerned, decided to prescribe a stronger antibiotic - continue to monitor.
* Rapid response contacted our mental health team, said family in crisis - something has to happen - now.
Consultant reluctantly agree to admit mum to local acute assessment mental health unit.
* Mum was admitted, we had to insist the bed was not suitable as she may try and climb off, and fall. The bed had rails, but policy is not to use them. They changed bed to a low bed, with mattress on floor in case she rolled off.
* I felt relief, that we were finally getting some help - until the next day.
* Went to visit at 4pm. 3 staff on duty, 1 trained, 2 support workers. Mum was on a 72hr assessment, including 15 min obs, fluid charts etc.
* I asked staff if they were aware mum on 15min obs, they said no.
Asked trained nurse how mum's vital signs were, she went off to find her chart. Came back and said it appears the last nurse has taken chart home by mistake. So, obvious her signs had not been checked. (her pulse was 130 on admission)
* Then went to ask staff to help me get mum to toilet, I had an encounter with male support worker which resulted in an altecation between us! He would not let me stay in room while mum ws put on commode, his manner, attitude and communication were diabolical.
* They were supposedly mental health staff, but had no time or patience with my mum, and no understanding of a dementia patients needs.
* 2 days later, received a call from hospital doc, mum too physically unwell, transferring to A&E.
* By now mums condition is discovered to be critical, vital signs all over place, blood sugars rocketed, chest infection may be pnumonia.
* Another round of physical interventions, then transferred to ICU.
Mum has suffered so much.
* Now on life support, pulse rate went to 180, rapid intervention to prevent cardiac arrest.
Doctors discussed our wishes re CPR - we decide no.
* Family by mums side all night, she is suffering - over next 24 hours, vital signs becoming stable. Next day (yesterday) transferred to medical assessment. They are already thinking of transfer back to mental health unit.
* I feel so guilty, I was ready to let mum go 2 nights ago. I don't think I wanted her to recover!!!!!! How can a daughter want her mum to die?
I feel ill, and dont believe any of the staff realise we have to be involved, we have to speak for my mum, because she cannot.
Visiting where she is today is only 2pm - 8pm, so I have to wait before I can go see her.
Thank you for reading - I don't know who to turn to.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Gabriella,

I am so sorry Gabriella for all that has happened and all that is happening. It sounds very traumatic. I can't profess to know the ins and outs of hospital set ups but I am wondering if you can get in touch with PALS (Patients Advice and Liaison Service) at the hospital so that you feel like you have someone on side and on the same wave length with regard to your mum's care needs. I don't know whether this information is any help to you but just in case it is:http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/Pages/Hospital.aspx?id=5QCAL&v=2

I'm sure someone else will come and offer the benefit of their experience soon.

My thoughts are with you at this time. Try not to worry too much about your own thoughts and thought processes too much at the moment - you will have time to deal with those issues later;)

Sending love and very best wishes

Last edited:

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hiya

I agree with Helen, that PALS are usually very good - if not, ask to speak to the Chief Execs office.

I think also, you need to think about what you actually want - whether it is better accessibility for visiting, more close monitoring etc etc (you will know instinctively). If you can say what you want and why, then you have a point to start negotiating, whereas if you say 'I want things to be better' then it is hard for PALS or the ward team to understand your point of view and needs.

take care

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Gabriella,

What a terrible time you have been having - and your poor mum as well. No wonder you sound so distressed. Do put all thoughts of guilt away. You have been doing your utmost for your mum in regards to her care by the hospital staff. Having to wait before you can go in and see her, your mind is racing here, there and everywhere. Make yourself a nice hot drink and curl up somewhere comfortable. I hope when you get to see her presently, she will be more stable and you will be able to begin to relax - a bit.

Thinking of you and sending love, Nan XXX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Gabriella

I`m so sorry you have all been having such a traumatic time.

Please take the advice already given, decide what you want for your mum, make a list of priorities and where you have found the hospital wanting and ask PALS for support.

Your mother sound very poorly indeed. If she is in intensive care I would like to know why you have to stick to rigid visitng times.

Gabriella

Jan 21, 2009
Portsmouth
Thank you all

Thank you all, I will check out PALS.
Just heard other family going between 2-6 today, so I shall go at 6.
Mum was in ICU for 24hrs, we were allowed to stay all the time, now in a room just round the corner, which I believe is recovery as her vitals are stabilising.
Judy, thank you for helping me with my feelings, I am trying to tell myself I want her released from suffering, and that is ok.
Thank you all.

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Dear Gabriella,

Reading your post was like reading my own and it described we've been through over the past 3 weeks.

I completely agree with contacting PALS. When my dad went in 3 years ago after a stroke, we found him left on his own, unable to communicate, lying in his own poo, dehydrated and unable to reach his drink. I was appalled, frightened, shocked and furious. PALS made all the difference to his care.

We lost dad in October last year to cancer and we went through the "is it happening now?" stage so many times over the 3 years. I would get ready, start preparing myself, practiced the words "...my dad passed away...", and would feel all sorts of strange emotions when it didn't happen. It was exhausting. I too felt guilty each time he made it through. Was I supposed to be happy that he was still existing, since that was all we could call it? I suppose I should have been relieved I didn't have to say the words I'd been practicing, well, not right then...but there was no avoiding the fact that one of those times it really would be "it". At times I just wished it was over with because it was definitely going to happen. There was no cure, no future, so no point. But all the rationale in the world didn't remove my guilt for wanting it over.

Now it's our turn with mum. On the weekend, we were told she had a 2nd UTI but was really poorly. She's been in hospital for 3 weeks now (home 3 times but always back again the next day). Although I wasn't quite ready for the inevitable, since this was a very rapid decline if it really was "it", I started gearing up for it again, and felt all those emotions again, only a year after hearing dad had only weeks to live.

I really don't want mum to live the life that her future suggests. She doesn't even speak now, and for the last 3 weeks seems to be living in a completely different world (more than normal) because she can only see this other world with her eyes shut. She says the odd word, in a very normal voice, with her eyes shut; she ate lunch at the hospital yesterday with her eyes shut the entire time. We don't know what that means.

But she's being discharged today to a hospital bed at home, and the assessment team will tell us what's next. I have every expectation that she'll need a nursing home and I have one in mind, just 5 mins from me. But is that good?

I've always said I'd rather she slipped away in her sleep before she deteriorated much more, for the sake of our memories and her dignity. When dad knew he was dying, he said about mum "...she'll not last a year after I've gone..." (big-head!!), and I always thought "hope not". I'd rather they were together, than her left alone in this horrible day-to-day.

So, no, you are not alone in preparing for losing your mum. You are not a terrible daughter. You are the daughter of a mum who is suffering on many levels and what you wouldn't wish on her can only be avoided through losing her.

Easy to say...wish I could convince myself!!!!!

Hope all works out well, whatever happens. In time, we'll see it happens for a reason.

Annie xxxxx

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Gabriella & Annie,

Please please don't feel guilt for these feelings, it means you care and want to be left with good memories. I have felt like this on a few occasion's and my mum is not ill:eek: I do not like being angry with mum and find it hard to remain calm all of the time.
Hope both your mum's are not in any pain. xxxx

Tarika

Jul 26, 2008
Dear Gabriella

As you can see from the responses you are not alone. I've just found out today that my mum who went into hospital last week with pneumonia has had another stroke which has left her paralysed in both her left and right sides with no swallow refex. She is on a drip but that's all can be managed.
Yet, I find that I cannot make a decision to withdraw treatment. I can't explain it I am just not ready to let go.

You will know what to do when the time comes.

Love Tarika

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
You are remembered

Hi G - you were around as I started here. Just want to say that I will remember you in my thoughts & prayers at this difficult time. Now life is very very very tough for you & I am so sorry - all I can offer from my experience is that there is a perfect moment for our loved ones to leave us, xxxx

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Gabriella

Do excuse me, I only dip into Talking point now and again, so I don't know you.

But your story about your mother's treatment has frightened me to bits. How terrible it was. I can't imagine why you didn't thump sombody,.

Well, my main point is that I can fully understand how you would not have worried had your mum died. She was going through a dreadful ordeal, and none of us want that for our relatives.##

You say "How can a daughter want her mum to die?", well, I imagine that many of us daughters would want that when we know the end is close and our mum is in distress. So please don't chastise yourself about that, it is actualy more caring an attitude than wanting someone to live when they are in distress.

And I wouldn't take any notice of their visiting times. Go when you like. They won't turn you away.

It all sounds very stressful for you. Try not to let it get to you too much, and really, all else I can say is look after yourself too.

Kind wishes

Margaret

Gabriella

Jan 21, 2009
Portsmouth
Annie, I am so sorry you have been through and now again going through this awful time - thank you for sharing with me x
Sam Iam, Tarika,Bookworm & Margaret, thank you for being there x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Gabriella,

Bothh Sylvia and I were thinking of you whilst we were away and we came across this and are sending it specially for you:)
gabriella's angel.JPG

wacky

May 23, 2009
West Sussex
Dear Gabriella

I am so sorry about your troubles including your emotional. I have had the same feelings about my Dad.

Apart from the PALS which are very good. The Carers Support Service http://www.carerssupportservice.org.uk/ offer loads of emotional support including telephone support to carers (or former) and they do it for free they also offer support groups. It is not that far away from you as they are located in Chichester, Bognor and Rural. Where you live is not that far away especially by phone.

There is also support services near you.

Don't beat yourself up. It is obvious that you love your Mum very much and we can only give our best at any one time. Sometimes the strain of it gets to you.

Take care.