Hearing

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I was wondering if this happen to one loves one, am not worried, but keep thinking does this mean that mum moving on to another stage & why ?

Me mum can be alone in the front room with TV on & all of a sadden she what did you say? I say I did not say anything. Then it happen with out the TV on & a few other time I ask her what she hearing me say ,she look at me upset , realizing that I really have not said anything so I don’t say anything else about it, because don’t want to upset her . Is this Normal for this to happen with people who have AD?

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Margarita
Yes mum does this to me sometimes and sometimes she says she can hear my youngest son when he's maybe at school but I can't say if this is a stage or not
not much help
sorry
wendy

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Thank just knowing it happen to someone else, is just reassuring .am just a worrier, try as I can to stop

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Wendy, carol, how that saying think of the worse & hope for the best , but with AZ what best can we hope for ? You know I thought No it’s not going to happen to my mum, in what I read about AZ, but it is going to happen & it’s happening.

I suppose if it does not sound selfish I hope that I do not get to depress & go under.

Hear I am stuck in my flat waiting for the man to deliver my debit card, as it got stuck in the card machine the other week ,because it was all bent up as I found it in the dryer ,:rolleyes: when the dryer would not work, because something was stuck in it ,yes my card I should of renew it when it happen , but it was still working in the shops ,until it got stuck in the cash machine & ate my card :mad:

Last edited:

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi Margauritta,
Yeh, my Mom does that too. I just hadn't thought about it much until your post!
I think their brain has just lost the ability to decipher things that the hear and see. Reasoning is gone for the most part.
I always say the worrying is what I do best. The rest of my family seems to not have this ability. I feel like X Men with a mutant talent for worry ! If I could bottle and sell it, I would be so rich !! My biggest challenge right now is not to worry about anything I don't have control over, which is about everything. That is hard when I've spent a life time honing this skill !!

charter member of FWA ( fellow worriers annonymous)

Debbie
(all is jest of course):D

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya all,
Yes when she coud, mum used to talk to the TV too.
Margarita don't worry about the future; yes your mum is going to change, you can do nothing to stop it; but she will still be your mum and you will still love her. Yes there will be times when you feel that your heart is going to break, but it won't.
I think the easiest thing now is to stay on the rollercoaster ride; stop thinking that we can pull our loved ones off it; grit our teeth, be thrilled by the highs, and shout, scream and cry as much as we need to to get us through the lows.
Love Amy

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My biggest challenge right now is not to worry about anything I don't have control over, which is about everything.

That is it, you hit it spot on worded it so right the puzzle is unreeled in me why I am feeling like this.

I have no control over what AZ is going to do with my mum, seeing it as a challenge sounds better :) then geting all down about it thanks for shareing

So it nice shareing with charter member of FWA ( fellow worriers annonymous) :)

shame they can’t do a brain transplant like they do with a heart transplant, I would put mum first in the queue :)

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
shame they can’t do a brain transplant like they do with a heart transplant, I would put mum first in the queue

There was a movie made a long time ago about a beautiful woman that was in an accident and killed except that her brain was ok. Another woman who was very plain was in an accident but brain dead. They gave the beautiful womans brain to the plain woman's body. Poor thing, her handsome boyfriend rejected her even though mentally she was the same person, and the plain woman rejected the husband and child that were her family before the brain transplant.

This could explain cross dressing:eek:

Debbie

DaisyG

Feb 20, 2006
North West England
Me too...

Yes....

I have the EXACT same 'problem' too.

I also get my husband turn the TV up (way too loud) when I'm NOT in the room, then deny 100% doing it.
(But you can still see the volume bar across the bottom of the TV... if you know what I mean !)
He also turns the TV down too... and then say that he can hear it... when it's on 'mute'. It's wierd...

We apparently have TV remote fairies living in our lounge!!

A lot of 'noises' in general upset my husband now.

DaisyG

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
DaisyG said:
I also get my husband turning the TV up (way too loud) when I'm NOT in the room, then deny 100% doing it.
(But you can still see the volume bar across the bottom of the TV... if you know what I mean !)
He also turns the TV down too... and then says that he can hear it... when it's on 'mute'. It's weird...

Ref. using the remote control for the TV, when the 'volume bar' shows on the bottom of the screen, my Mum finds it very difficult to get this right. She has to concentrate so much on finding & using the correct button, that she can't cope with also looking up at the screen and working out if the bar is moving in the right direction.
Coupled with the fact that she may - or may not - be wearing her hearing aid, plus 'sods law' that some canned laughter will suddenly blare out :mad: just when she's trying to adjust it, or the ads. will come on at twice the normal volume of the programmes, the poor old TV volume control will probably burn itself out before the end of the year!
Mum often mis-hears radio or TV speech, and thinks I said something to her, or vice versa.

DaisyG

Feb 20, 2006
North West England
Hearing...

I've found that over the last few months my husband is finding it difficult to understand some 'accents' on TV.
In particular newsreaders.

Sometimes he's accused me of mumbling/muffled speech, when I know I'm not.

He 'miss hears' quite a lot on TV, and it is frustrating in trying to explain what was just said.... then end up missing the next bit of the programme.

He also does a lot of 'miss seeing' too.
For example.... saw an insect on a kids programme...and would not accept that it was the camera making it BIG!!

I got out a wildlife book (thinking I could clarify things this way) to show him that
No... they really do not grow to the size of a childs arm...
HE KNEW the book was wrong !!

Does anyone else have good hearing days ...... and bad hearing days ?

DaisyG

DaisyG

Feb 20, 2006
North West England
Hearing...

I've found that over the last few months my husband is finding it difficult to understand some 'accents' on TV.
In particular newsreaders.

He 'miss hears' quite a lot on TV, and it is frustrating in trying to explain what was just said.... then end up missing the next bit of the programme.

He also does a lot of 'miss seeing' too.
For example.... saw an insect on a kids programme...and would not accept that it was the camera making it BIG!!

I got out a wildlife book (thinking I could clarify things this way) to show him that
No... they really do not grow to the size of a childs arm...
HE KNEW the book was wrong !!

DaisyG

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Does anyone else have good hearing days ...... and bad hearing days

Yes my mum does that I have to repeat it something 3 or 4 time by the 4th time I have to raise my voice , my daughter tell me not to shout as my voice has peace her ear , but I am not shouting I tell her Nanny can not hear me , then it go quite for 5 min & mum pop up what did you say ?

Well she sure her the invisible voice !

My mum use to do that a lot a while back , I use to get so frustrated about it as will :) ,she does not do it so much now .

Only in conversation when a few of my friends/or mum are around or the carer talking to her. She getting to the point that in Spanish or English she not understanding what I am saying ,Then By the time I have explained it to her the conversation gone on to something ales

Amy thanks for that we Cross thread

Last edited:

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
DaisyG said:

My dad was kind of similar before he went into the nursing home. Was determined that he needed a new TV because the reception was no longer any good. As far as I could tell it was fine ...... so assume he was hearing/seeing it as muffled.

DaisyG said:

My dad has had a hearing problem for years and years and wears a hearing aid. Well before he started being confused he'd talk about good days and bad days for hearing. It took quite a while when he was starting to be ill for me to realise that often what I thought was a "bad hearing day" was actually a beginning dementia day (of course I didn't know what was the problem at the time). The thing that really brought it home to me was a phone call with him (phone calls always been the most difficult) where I was trying to tell him something was happening on Thursday. "saturday?" says dad; "no, Thursday" "oh, Tuesday that's OK" says dad. "no, Thursday" "oh well I can't do it on Sunday", says dad. "no, Thursday, THURsday, THURSDAY" "Monday?", says dad "god give me strength" muttered under breath. "uh? strength for what?" says dad. :eek:

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
I'd never thought about my mum's hearing until reading all your messages. But I have noticed that she sometimes doesn't understand a word I've said and she asks me to explain what the word means. It's normally just an everyday word, but that particular word has obviously got lost in her brain and she just can't figure out what it is I'm saying. Very strange:confused:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Libby am going to say it againa

My mum like that also & I think its just me not explaining my self ::eek: as it happens to you mum also it must be the dementia ?

I read that there balance in waking starts to go & that is what happening to my mum, have just order mum a new modem walking aid called Rollator with Basket , £69 from the internet ,while I wait for social services to sort out a wheelchair , that mum does not want to use just yet , but without the walking aid can not take mum for a walk (And they say its good to excurse the muscle in the leg other wise they go weak ) mum only got an old fashion Zimmer frame that I did take her out with the other day , but what take 2 min took about 10min to the café with the old fashion Zimmer frame .

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
[QUOTE=Amy
Yes when she coud, mum used to talk to the TV too.

Hi your comment, Amy, got me thinking....often when mum watches tv(not that she follows the plot at all) she thinks whatever is going on is actually happening...she cannot seperate fact from fiction. We watched a programme on the Blitz a few months ago and kept asking if it was safe to go out and had the "all clear " gone....Goodness knows what she's been making of Big Brother!!!:eek:
Wendy

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Wendy

If you mums watching BB during the day, it'll be without sound because of Pete (who I have to say is brilliant - not that I watch it much:eek: )

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976