retiring on ill health

lucky

Apr 29, 2010
cheshire
hi all can anyone help my mum has an appointment with occupational health on monday due to her work. They may suggest she finishes but is it best she finishes on ill health? and if so what other benfeits wold she be entitled to? I ask this a smy dad recently had an accident and is self employed and unable to work for some motnhs and there is such a financial strain. I sm trying my best too help but i ony work part time due to having two children. Does anyone know anything about attanednace allowiance?

Pete Kelly if you read this could you offer any guidnace? Mnty thanks

Polly H

Nov 26, 2009
Hello Lucky,

First let me reassure you that the Occupational Health Consultant who sees your loved one is bound by confidentiality. The ramifications of this will be explained at the outset of the consultation (as it was with me). Basically, the consultant will explain that nothing, yes nothing will get through to anyone else without if first being agreed with your Mum. At the end of the consultation the consultant will probably dictate a letter into a dictaphone in the presence of your Mum and check with her to make sure that what s/he has said she is in full agreement with. If she is not happy about any of the text she must say so!.
If there is no clear decision then a further appointment will be made and the text of her/his correspondence will indicate this.

I found the whole business very reassuring but at the same time upsetting because having to acknowledge you are unwell and will be for the forseeable is difficult. The chap I saw was a highly skilled professional who was really lovely. I do hope your Mum has the same experience.

I do hope you find these comments helpful.

Polly H

Polly H

Nov 26, 2009
Sorry didn't answer your question fully.

Sorry Lucky,

The main thrust of your post seems to be concerned with finances. I can fullyu appreciate this.

It would be a very good move for your Mum to visit the CAB and get a full welfare benefits assessment. This would take into account her full financial situation now and in the future if she were to retire on "ill health". She can book an appointment with a "benefits adviser" (not to be confused with Job Centre + staff)and take along all her relevant financial situation. The Adviser can then make a proper assessment. The service is free and totally confidential.

I can recommend them to you!

Hope this answers your concerns.

Polly H :)

janice1

Sep 22, 2009
up north
attendace allowace

Hi attendance allowance is not a means tested benifit and is awarded to people over 65 with either a physical or mental disability. A benifits advisor will assess the situation and make a decision. We contacted The Carers Centre, they sent a lovely lady round to help our mum fill out the forms. It took a while to process but mums claim was back dated from the day she claimed. I hope this helps good luck Janice

janice1

Sep 22, 2009
up north
Ps

Hi I forgot to say that if you are under 65, the benifit you could claim is disability living allowance. (DLA) It may be worth both you and your husband applying, well nothing ventured nothing gained. Warm Wishes Janice

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Hi lucky, I can only tell u about my experience which may not be relevant if, as I presume, Altzheimers is involved and i don't know anything about attendance allowance. I retired on ill health grounds 6 or 7 years ago and receive incapacity benefit, dla and I also get a pension from my last job. I don't know how this relates BUT the Citizens Advice bureau were invaluable. They are very knowledgable they know what theyre talking about! They will check whatever benefits are available. I 100 per cent recommend seeing them asap. And yes conversations with them and the o.t. are strictly confidential. Best of luck, Lucky ;) xxx Chris

Last edited: