Advice Wanted

Larzee

Jun 20, 2010
Hi, this is my first time of writing. My dad has late stages Alzheimer's. He is now confined to his bed. He is unable to move and his legs are now becoming bent (which I imagine is as described as the foetal position). He has the most amazing care. We have a carer who has been with him now for nearly 6 years. I'm sure that any other care would by now have resulted in his death. But his carer is exceptional. Since Oct last year he has deteriorated. We had a meeting with his gp about palliative care, but unfortunately my sister is worried that his thoughts are that of cost cutting. His advice was that antibiotics should now be withheld. I'm really struggling and feeling guilty because I believe this is the right decision. But our main fear is that he will suffer in his last days. He is prone to chest infections as he is an asthma sufferer. Does anyone have experience of withholding antibiotics? Please someone help. xx

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
sorry Larzee i have no experience of this just wanted to welcome you to TP im sure some one will be along who can help larivy

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Larzee

The main purpose of Palliative care is to ensure as little suffering and discomfort as possible, to the person at the end stage of life and to the family who will witness it.
The only people who can ensure withholding antibiotics from an asthma sufferer will not cause suffering are the medics.
I would want a consultation with your father`s doctor for reassurance.

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi Larzee,talk to your GP and community nursing team.Ask all your questions.You will decide what is best,stick with your instincts.If your dad has been on and off antibiotics for a long time with chest infections he would probably have developed quite a resistance to them,ie,they probably would not be much use.
Keeping dad comfortable,pain free and surrounded by people who care for him matters most.
You are doing the best for your dad and so is his doctor.
Kind regards,Angela.

Larzee

Jun 20, 2010
Thank you

Thanks to all of you who have responded. It's so nice to speak to people who understand. My poor dad was in his early 50s when he developed this rotten disease. He's been so brave throughout - trying to smile through all his suffering.

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi Larzee,having dementia any age is a tragedy but for people like your dad,so young,it is especially heartbreaking for everyone.Sorry there is nothing we can do to help your dad,but you know where we are if you need support anytime.
Best wishes,Angela.

DozyDoris

Jan 27, 2009
Suffolk
Hi Larzee

I've not posted for ages, you still care for your Dad at home? I am wanting this for my Dad too. Do you all live together? How much time does the carer spend with you? How do you cope? Lots of questions, sorry. My Dad has AD and lives with my disabled Mum just up the road from me. She is now finding it hard to cope and I want to know how to do the best.
I do hope you get some answers about the antibiotics, such a terrible decision to have to make, xx Jane

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
i remember my mum when she was addmitted into hospital she had one lot of antibiotics and they did not help it was the doctor who said there was no point giving her another cource of antibiotics as they wernt helping. Its so sad i know you want to help them and you feel helpless not being able to its a cruel illness.