Application for Deputy of Welfare

izzie

Jul 4, 2007
Hertfordshire
Can anyone advise me out there? I have been advised by OPG to apply for Deputy of Welfare for my Mum. I have registered EPA but my step dad is refusing me access and communication with Mum, so carying out her duties are very difficlut.

I've looked at the documents and tried so hard, but I'm not sure how to word what I want the court to decide what order I am asking the court to make! Sounds mad I know!

I've also heard that Deputy for Welfare are very hard to achieve. Is that the case? Does anyone know or have any expereince and gems they can share?

Thanks for taking time to read.

xx

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Izzy, hi
I don't have any advice just wishing you good luck and hoping that you get this sorted out quickly and easily, I know you are in a very hurtful and distressing situation at the moment and really hope that you get the help you need.
Best wishes, Jo

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Ask the person who advised you to seek the deputyship. Why do they think this is a good idea?

Is there a specific healthcare or welfare decision that needs to be made? Do they forsee such a decision to be made in the near future? What is the nature of it? Or are they saying this because there is some conflict in the decision process - say, social services want one thing but your stepdad (who as spouse is legally "nearest relative") wants something else?

Until you know these things I donpt think you can go ahead - this is clear from the way that you say you don't know what to ask the Court to decide/award. Being told "it;s a good idea" by someone is not really sufficient - applying for deputyship is quite different from setting up an LPA just in case it might be needed.

I think the welfare deputyship is likely to be more difficult to get since it gives such direct control over a very personal aspect of someone else's life. It can also be difficult to show that someone isn incapable of deciding, or participating in the decision process whereas it;s quite easy to show that someone is no longer capable of managing their financial affairs.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
When you say you were advised by the "OPG to apply for Deputy of Welfare for my Mum", did they say you should or could?

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan