mum isn't understanding simple tasks!

lucky

Apr 29, 2010
cheshire
Hi all i spoke to my mum's work colleague today who is really concerned about my mum she is really struggling to complete simple tasks at work unable to understand what was asked of her. Mum apparently had to empty a sachet of powder into a mop bucket and fill it with the amountof water she had always used to mop the floor at work however no matter how many times her friend explained to her what to do she just couldn't understand it. Mums friend said she is very quiet at work now and is constantly asking what she needs to do and just isn't motivated anymore, she apparently came into work looking fed up! Has anyone else experienced things like this?:(

pete kelly

Jan 14, 2010
Sunny South Devon near Torbay
lack of understanding

Hi I had a similar thing with my Susie, she wasn't able to remember how to do her work anymore, her company did everything to help her,to no avail,after countless tests scans and memory test,Susie was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.this may not be the case with your mum,she may be depressed,or again is she in the menapause,see her gp and have some test to try and find the answer to her problems

lucky

Apr 29, 2010
cheshire
Hi sorry forgot to say mum was diagnosed early january with early onset she is only 59 and has had symptoms for a couple of years.

I have just read your thread about Susie so sorry to hear what you are going through i had a look at the pictures you posted of you daughter swith susie and grandchildren. what georgous pictures. You look after yourself you must be exhausted

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Plans??

So - Lucky - are there any plans for early retirement......have you worked out his she will manage without the income - will it be a problem - perhaps the lack of routine & companionship may affect her more?

Sounds as if things have changed a lot - when is the next review due - should it be brought forward?

Your Mum is so young, I'm very sad to hear of this, Sue, xxx

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Lucky,

I can't remember if your mother has actually been diagnosed with a specific type of dementia after a thorough assessment by a consultant.

One type of dementia that does affect more younger people is Frontotemporal dementia. One variety can greatly affect the person's ability to understand speech and to produce speech (either their speech dwindles to nil or it is made up of a series of apparently random words/sounds which can't be understood by others):

Language difficulties
The person with fronto-temporal dementia may experience language difficulties, including:

•problems finding the right words
•a lack of spontaneous conversation
•circumlocution, using many words to describe something simple
•a reduction in or lack of speech.

Take care,

lucky

Apr 29, 2010
cheshire
hi bookworm mum could retire in september, she seems to be getting fed up with work but doesn't seem motivated about it either. they will really struggle without her income so not sure what would happen. We are waiting for the next review date we aren't seeing the concultnt fro another six months either.

loggerman

Mar 19, 2010
West Sussex
www.facebook.com
Income

Hi Lucky,

You mentioned your mum's income. Has she got disability Living Allowance. When my wife was diagnosed, we applied for DLA. You need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions.

My wife was signed off sick. She then went on to get Employment and Support Allowance.

Both of these would help with the loss of income if you mum left work.

Best wishes
loggerman

pete kelly

Jan 14, 2010
Sunny South Devon near Torbay
mums condition

Hi Lucky.

Do hope you are sorting things out for yourself with reference to your mums condition, Do contact works and pensions as mum should be entitled to incapacity benefit,and Dissability living allowance.if you need to contact me privately I would be happy to run through things with you on what I did for my Susie,

lucky

Apr 29, 2010
cheshire
Hi pete Kelly that would be great thanks. Not sur ehow you do private messages still a novice on the forum! I've been told my mum isn't entitled to any benfits as she can still do alot of her self care. But things like handling money and bills etc she struggles with now. My dad is supporting her alot. thyey are even allowed discount on council tax beccause she doesn't claim attendance allowance!!

It's a joke so hard to get things yet my mum has worked all her life.