Very worried about my father please help.

juliejo

Oct 26, 2007
Lincolnshire.
Hi everyone,
Im havent posted for a while as have a dibilitating illness myself and been very poorly.

My dad has Vascular Dementia and is rapidly declining especially the past few weeks/months.

He goes into respite once a month to give mum a break who is poorly herself now with very high blood pressure and also 2 days a week daycare. Mum also has Crohns disease and other health issues.

I mentioned way back my father is a very religious man and his faith keeps him going. He is the most loving and caring father anyone could wish for.

However the past few weeks he is seeing crucifixes all over the house to the point it is now becoming continual and putting a great strain on mum now. He gets very annoyed if you don't see them.

I have told mum so many times to go along with him but shes finding it so hard now and hes doing this all day and when she puts him to bed. They are all over the walls in the bedroom and she can't get him off to sleep. He is on alot of medication anyway.

Well last night he kept waking mum as he sleeps with the light one telling mum to pass him the crosses and earlier today was doing the same thing whilst eating his breakfast.

This has all knocked me for six and i now feel that i have lost what once was my dear dad........ I am so upset with all this.

Is this normal and another stage he is going through as we are becoming very concerned and worried now.

I have talked to him this morning and told him someone from above is looking down on him and looking after him and mum. For now it has settled him.

Soon mum will be on the phone again to me as she sounds at her wits end here.

Sorry but needed to get this off my chest and talk with someone.

Julie. x

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Julie,

It certainly sounds as if your father is either entering another phase or has an infection, probably water. This can cause great confusion and make people hallucinate.

I'd get the doctor in to rule out infections to start with, and if that is clear then get in touch with his consultant as he may need his medication tweaking.

It's not only quite scary, but also tiring living with someone who sees things we can't, so for your mum's sake alone, I'd get the doctor in.

Best of luck xx

juliejo

Oct 26, 2007
Lincolnshire.
Thanks Vonny.

So sorry for not answering you sooner but i have been very poorly.

My dad has got worse over the weekend but hasn't got a water infection. He is cathiterised and had water tests which are normal.

Gp thinks he is entering another phase as other worrying symptons are happening too.

He is starting to blank us alot more now as well.

This morning within an hour mum rang and told me he counted crosses all night off and off and sat in the chair all morning shouting at mum to look at them.
All this is getting mum down and very depressed as she cannot cope with this now.

His Gp has said to go along with him but mum says its hard all day and night with this going on and thats just one thing is does.

Think i am finally starting to realize i have lost my dad as he once was.

Been very upset this weekend as i have ME and this weather affects me and can't see him as much as i would love to.

Julie.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Julie, hello
So sorry to hear that things aren't going well for you or your family, my heart goes out to you with ME and this warm weather, I hope you have a better week and the GP can sort out more care for your parents. It sounds as if there are some decisions to be made and you'll all have to support each other.
I'm sorry I can't help. Take care of yourself, Jo

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Julie,

His Gp has said to go along with him but mum says its hard all day and night with this going on and thats just one thing is does.

Your mum sounds as though she's really struggling and that's understandable.

One thing's for sure, mum can't keep in with this day and night and she needs a break.

As dad already has regular respite is there a chance that could be increased?

If your dad has a consultant or CPN then perhaps you or your mum could contact him/her to discuss what's happening.

In your shoes I'd certainly be seeking for professional advice and support.

Love xx