Mum settling well in her new care home

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
:)Hi I just wanted to share with you all that mum has now been in her care home for 2 weeks and she appears to be settling very well. She hasn't once asked to come home and she looks well and cared for. She doesn't seem at all stressed and seems to enjoy the constant company and stimulation.

Food is still an issue but she is eating - lots of puddings:) bananas etc and drinking plenty. I went to see her yesterday and she told me she really loved me which was wonderful. Her face crumples a bit when I go to leave but she doesn't cry and I feel its because she has enjoyed the visit and doesn't want it to end.

After what has been an extremely stressful and emotional period I feel as if a weight has been lifted and know that mum is now in the right environment and I can really enjoy quality time with her, looking through magazines and photos together and doing her nails and getting to know the other residents and staff. My role has completely changed now and I'm going to make the most of spending time with mum.
Take care everyone
Love Dibs (Deborah) xxx

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Hi Deborah,
That sounds really great - it must be such a relief. My mum didn't settle quite as quickly as yours, but she reacts in a similar way to yours. She often tells me she loves me and thanks me when I've taken her out. Sometimes leaving her is tricky as she thinks she can come with me, but does accept eventually (due to my white lies/excuses) that she can't.

Sounds as though you have both adjusted really well - long may it continue and enjoy your lovely times together.
love and best wishes,
Gill x

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Deborah and what great news.

I shouldn't worry if your mum is mainly eating puddings, at least she is getting something inside her, and the fact she is drinking regularly is really important.

It must be lovely for you both to be able to spend quality time together xx

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Thanks, Dibs, for sharing that with us.

It's so good to hear positive posts about the issue of care homes/respite etc. We all worry so much about the eventuality and hearing something positive gives us so much hope.:)

Thank you!

Maggie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL