My anxious Mum

Tess

Nov 29, 2005
I live in west wales
Hi
I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this. My Mum was diagnosed with AD a few years ago. She acknowledged that she had ‘memory problems’ and although it worried her to a certain extent, she seemed to deal with it pretty well and was generally happy and contented with her life. She was first prescribed with Aricept but only took it for a very short time as she couldn’t tolerate it (she was dashing back and fore to the loo all the time). She was then prescribed Reminyl but had problems with that as well. Now she is taking Ebixa (not sure if I’m spelling these correctly).

Lately she has been less relaxed and was tearful when I went to visit her on Saturday saying ‘If your Dad can’t cope with me any more I’ll have to go into a home’. No-one has mentioned anything of the sort to her but it’s as though she is more aware of her AD and is becoming more worried about it – wringing her hands etc. Is this the AD progressing, or could it be the medication she is now taking? Has anyone any clues?

She is cared for by my Dad, who is nearly 81 and is doing a marvellous job. He’s showing reserves of patience which I never thought he possessed.

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Tess

My Mum used to have anxiety attacks both before and after she was on galantamine, this was when Dad was alive and she was being looked after at home.

She would pace up and down wringing her hands, trembling all over and would say ''they won't lock me up will they?'' like your Mum this was never said about or to her. Along with the anxiety attacks she suffered hallucinations.

Mum was prescribed medication to lessen the anxiety and they worked very well, for both symptoms.

I can only suggest you ring the doctor and ask advice on this.

Kathleen

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hiya tess

my mum was anxious and crying, very restless before she was diagnosed in feb it got so bad she had to be admitted to hospital so going on that i would suggest your mum has a review of her medication as it could be the progression of dementia and perhaps she needs a change of medication again, my mum still gets very anxious and it takes a while to get her settled but weve found with medication it is better,
hope this is of some help to you,
take care:)

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Tess said:
Hi

She is cared for by my Dad, who is nearly 81 and is doing a marvellous job. He’s showing reserves of patience which I never thought he possessed.

Tess, is that your silver lining? Isn't it wonderful to find something positive out of a seemingly desperate situation? Well done!!!! (Him and you!!!)

I'll let others more able comment on your mum's situation. I wonder, was she an anxious person prior to this? I know my mum was and I struggle to define where - or if - her personality and the onset of her 'memory problems' have crossed some line. The lines seem to get a little blurred these days..... I am very quickly learning that the tranquilisers prescribed to to assuage her anxiety only seem to promote more confusion.... in a confused state she isn't anxious.... when she is more lucid she becomes quite agitated and upset... even her GP has spoken to me of 'balancing the lesser of two evils'......

Take care, Love Karen (TF), x

susieb

Apr 16, 2006
Think we saw anxiety as awareness increased with new medication. Later just anxiety without the increase in awareness.

Just now I envy you that your mum is still at that stage, I wish mine was - but not to belittle the anxiety - we found she could be reassured by a cuddle and nice things.

Good news about your dad.

Tess

Nov 29, 2005
I live in west wales
anxious Mum

Thanks everyone for your replies – they really help.

Tenderface – yes, you’re absolutely right. The way my Dad cares for my mum is a real silver lining. I was always so close to her (I’m an only child) and not close to my Dad at all. Since she’s had AD, Dad and I are closer than we’ve ever been so something good is coming out of this awful situation.

My Mum was always an anxious person but, with the onset of AD, she seemed to become much more relaxed and happy. It’s only in recent weeks that she’s become anxious again.

Susieb – I realise that I’m still lucky to have my Mum as lucid as she is. I know it’s going to get worse and when I read some of the situations that TP members are going through, it really frightens me to think of what may be ahead. We have lots of hugs and tell each other how special we are to each other. This site has made me realise that I have to make the most of her.

Thank you again.