Giving up work

Roger 1

May 17, 2010
My wife has recently been daiagnosed with ALzheimers albeit at an early stage, she is 54 and still employed. However she has been signed off work since November and it seems she will be incapable of returning. It has become obvious she will have to leave but before we rush into it can I ask for some advice as to the best way to handle this with her employer and for her future financial benefit. Should she:
1) Just resign
2) Retire early on ill health grounds, she is not entilted to any pension from her current emplyer but hopefully will be able to draw ill health pension from other frozen pensions.
3) Accept dismissal on ill health grounds.

She is not getting any company sick pay only SSP and this is about to run out. I am aware that her employer wants to move frowards on this issue soon.

If anyone else has been through this situation I would appreciate your opinions.

Many Thanks

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Roger,

Welcome to Talking Point (TP).

This is a very difficult area and really requires as much input from people like your wife's consultant and people familiar with employment law as possible.

Has your wife's consultant been involved in any discussions about her fitness to work? Is your wife currently on any medication for dementia?

You might want to look at a thread from a younger person with dementia (YPWD) which includes a post from myself about employment rights (on page 2 of the thread):

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?t=22751

You might also want to look at the Alzheimer's Society's factsheet on Younger People with Dementia:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/440

Also, the Alzheimer's Society's Helpline might be able to help you:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/helpline

My understanding is that your wife should not 'just resign'. There should first be some attempts to see if her workplace can make some "reasonable adjustments" to accommodate her condition which is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA).

If that is not successful, then there could be a review of other possibilities, such as early retirement on medical grounds.

Take care,

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Roger, hello
So sorry to hear you are in this situation, the best of luck with sorting out the best option for your wife and yourself.
My husband was made redundant aged 54 and took his occupational pension from a previous employer at that stage, it seemed the best solution for us.
Best wishes, Jo

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
Rodger,
I think Sandys advice is the best,when my wife thiught she could no longer work she gave in her notice which was accepted and she left.But as she worked for the LA and one department was not notified,they thought she was haveing a lot of time of sick and ofered her a large cash settlement to leave!we could not accept it as she had left.
So,i think she should keep on sending in the sick notes,dont make the first move.
John.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

Hiya Roger, i totally agree with john as i have myself been in the same position, keep sending in the Medical notes and wait until they offer you a settlement, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Roger Obviously don’t at what stage your wife is at with dementia if
it’s at the early stages I was diagnosed with mild to moderate Alzheimer’s
at age 57 after two years and vigorous test and two MRI brain scans which
showed quite extensive damage to my frontal-lobes however I continued
working for a further 8 years until my retirement 65 now after almost 2 years I wish I had continued at work.

carrie99

Apr 26, 2009
Yorkshire
For what it's worth,

I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's after being totally unable to manage the simple job I had chosen.
My partner & I decided to take my pensions early aged 52 and my pensions were consolidated into one pension.

(Of course it was just my luck that I had, many years ago, chosen Equitable Life) for my pension. I am not holding my breath!)

Carrie99

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hi

I left a job due to illness a couple of years ago (not AD). I would strongly recommend you see a solicitor to talk it over. I also would recommend that you do not resign.

To be simplistic, right now you have a contract with the employer, and by you continuing to provide sick notes, you are adhering to your side of the contract.
Your employer cannot dismiss you without exploring what they could do under the Disability Discrimination Act to make 'reasonable adjustments'. The Equal Opps commision offer some good advice (and a helpline) http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/your-rights/disability/
When the employer has looked at the options and cannot make adjustments, they can offer a settlement as Norrms said above.
The settlement may mean enhance pensions, or lump sums etc
If they dismiss outside the law, you can take them to tribunal.

Also, even though the employer is no longer paying full sick pay, you are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...editsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_10018786 for a period too.

hope this helps

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
Hi. I think it may depend on the job your wife is in. My husband was diagnosed last year - teacher. He was placed on sick leave then referred to Occupational Health as the pensions people would not let him draw his pension early without 'evidence'. OH were excellent-so he got early retirement on grounds of ill health after all the reports from the consultant were in. However-would not enhance his pension as they said -they accepted he could not teach but could earn a living in another occupation! Total tosh-but I worked out it only cost him 750.00 a year so not worth the fight/stress.
Main advice is don't do anything rash-take advice. It appears the financial implications of this disease are bad enough - so make sure you get all you are entitled to - most employers will push for resignation 'cos it suits them. They are not the ones who are important!
Hope it all goes OK.

pete kelly

Jan 14, 2010
Sunny South Devon near Torbay
My wife Sue was diagnosed with AD at the age of 53, she could not carry out her work efficiently,her employer Tesco could not do enough for her, they assisted Sue in trying to help her at work for four years,their care and consideration for her illness was second to none,eventually Sue retired due to ill health with a full company pension,we were granted her full discount card for life,I would advise your wife to talk to her employer,and see if she is able to do any work without loss of income or pension,until either she can not carry on as it is to difficult for her,or for her own safety, best of luck,if she doe's give up she will be entitled to incapacity benefit,and disablement living allowance,

Roger 1

May 17, 2010
Many thanks for your replies, we saw my wifes consultant yesterday and he is of the opinion she is not capable of returning to work. Simultaneously Occupational Health have written to her employer suggesting she is offered ill health retirement. I think this is the best option for her and we will now pursue her various pension plans.

lucky

Apr 29, 2010
cheshire
Hi roger 1 my mum is going through exactly the same thing at the moment have you and yyour wife been to see occupational health with her employers?

My mum has seen them once and waiting for another appointment.

We have been advised that my mumshouldn't hand her notice in although my parents can't afford it as my dad recntly had an accident and is self employed!

We were also advised that if my mum's company wnat her to finish work they need to pay her to go or retire on ill health as you get more money i think.

I think it will depend on the company and how long your wife has worked there. Hope this helps maybe citizens advcie could help?

loggerman

Mar 19, 2010
West Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi Roger 1,

We have recently been through a similar situation. My wife is now 54 years old. My wife was signed of sick when she was 52. Her company were very good to her. Last year she retired on ill health grounds. If your wife has a pension with a previous employer, you should then be able to take that pension early.

If the SSP is finishing, you need to contact the department of work and pensions as your wife will move on to Employment and Support Allowance. (This replaces Incapacity Benefit for new applicants). You will have to fill in a medical questionaire. They will then write to your doctor/consultant. Once they have made the decision that your wife can no longer work, she will be placed in the support group and the allowance will increase.

Have you applied for Disability Living Allowance. Again you apply for this from the DWP. They will send you an application form. I would suggest that you get help in completing the form. We had help from a lady at age concern. Also Citizens Advice Bureau may be able to help with this. You should be entitled to the lower rate for care and mobility.

If I can be of any further help, please let me know.
Best wishes
Dave