Good day /Bad day.........

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mum had to be with me today at my house, workmen in Mum & Dad's not good for a confused lady. I picked her up early, we then had coffee, I did her hair, gave her a facial etc. She was Ok ish, wanted Dad but was happy when I told her he would be down for lunch. He came down for lunch, then went back home. She was getting stressed, but still accepting that Dad would come back and pick her up.
Where do these b----y delusions come from! Next minute I'm not her daughter, that's not new, the voiles are half down from the bay window, so to save losing the bay ceiling I unhooked the other end, I then got shoved and pushed, whacked and followed round the house with the net wire threatening me, trying desperately to back off so as not to make matters worse. I had to call Dad to come down, role reversal here as it's usually me going to their place in this situation. He's taken her home now and I feel such a failure. These delusions seem to be getting worse and worse, we had a dreadful end of week and had to call out the doctor Saturday (which in itself was an excercise in how to be bolshie to get what you need!). Mum's just (from Saturday) started taking Haliperidol does this help when it kicks in? The situation seems to be going from bad to worse and the old saying 'to hell in a hand cart' springs to mind. I don't know how Dad copes 24/7....I know I'm not, and I have to do this again tomorrow. Sorry to be miserable....this is obviously one of my not coping days......:(

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Oh dear May, poor you. My Mum took haloperidol for a time and it did help. Takes a while to kick in though, so hang on in there. Do hope things soon quieten down a bit. These mood swings are awful. Sounds like she was sundowning, so be ready with distraction techniques in place at that time of day in future. Big hug, love She. XX

gettingthere

Jan 25, 2006
Edinburgh
My Dad was prescribed Haleperidol (Dozic) after he had a pretty bad reaction to being put into care. That was in January and I think it does help initially. We gave him too much to begin with(didnt have the right dosing measure) and this really slowed him down. Once we got the levels right it seems to have kept him on a reasonably even keel. (no more ranting at how awful we are at 2.00am in the morning for two hours!) Hang in there. ((((Hug)))

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
May said:
Sorry to be miserable....this is obviously one of my not coping days......:(

um .... how well do you expect to be able to cope with something totally unpredictable, irrational and emotionally exhausting ;) :confused: Sounds like a pretty good effort to me :)

Just a thought ..... I'm fairly sure that haloperidol is one of the drugs that people with Lewy Body Dementia and/or Parkinsons react really badly to and probably shouldn't be on. Seems that not everyone is aware of this - or so I understand from Lewy Body Forums. Might just be worth checking that mum is OK to be on it.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Áine said:
:)

Just a thought ..... I'm fairly sure that haloperidol is one of the drugs that people with Lewy Body Dementia and/or Parkinsons react really badly to and probably shouldn't be on. Seems that not everyone is aware of this - or so I understand from Lewy Body Forums. Might just be worth checking that mum is OK to be on it.

It is on the list of drugs that people with Lewy Bodies shouldn't be on.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Facts_about_dementia/What_is_dementia/info_lewy.htm

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Yeah, this is where more of the nightmare kicks in...........you have to be so alert when new medications are prescribed. Some are definately not suitable where Lewy Body dementia is suspected, but we have to go along with the system.

Just be on guard....after all if something works it is really great,, just be aware. We are the front line, so check that symptoms do not get out of hand.

Thinking of you,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet