Wheee! Highlight of the day

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Margarita, afraid its something that often seems to happen. If you look at some of the old threads,you will see there have been several members telling us of similar in the past. Its hard going for you as a carer and loved one I know, as they seem so het up about it. Personally, I would just make as light of it as you can and try to change the subject. I used to get Mum interested in a juicy bit of gossip or scandal from the paper, asking her what she would do and what she reckoned about it. Anything to change the thought pattern she was on. With my own Mum, and now with M in Law, we have found that they get a bee in their bonnet and it is all consuming. Then, just as it came, so it goes as they find another thing to worry or fret about. Hope she moves on to something else that is easier to cope with soon. Thinking of you, love She. XX

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
My Highlight Today Was Taking My Two Year Old Niece To Visit Mum In Hospital, We Took Mum Out For A Walk In The Wheelchair, And She Had My Niece On Her Lap, It Was So Nice To See My Mum Being A Nanny Again.:)

jarnee

Mar 18, 2006
leicestershire
Hi

Took dad on his first afternoon out after going into residential care today (We thought we'd give it a few weeks until he felt familiar with the home and would, hopefully, go back & settle ok after our outing)

Anyway, we went to the local garden centre. He stood at the door and marvelled at it. I asked if he was ok. "What a beautiful place" he said. It took us about 1 1/2 hours to walk round and stop for a coffee / cake. He just kept saying how wonderful it was, how much he was enjoying himself, how lovely the flowers were and how he liked the sun on his face.
It was as if he was experiencing the whole thing for the first time in his life. AMAZING !!!

We drove the long way round on the way back, through villages and countryside....he thoroughly enjoyed it.
As we drew up outside the home, he got out of the car and said, Oh look, we're back home"

We took the plant he had chosen to his room and he put in on the windowsill. We sat and chatted. He talked and talked about how much he had enjoyed himself, "from the moment I got into the car, all afternoon, until the moment we got back"
Considering he can't usually remember 2 minutes ago, the afternoon had obviously meant something to him

I DO hope he has settled OK tonight. I look forward to seeing him again tomorrow....I wonder if he will remember ANY of it.

I also look forward to many more outings. I will make the most of it and treasure every second as I know this evil disease will take it all away from us all too soon. But, in the meantime, what a simple, but pure, joy :)

Jarnee

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Thank you Donna and Jarnee - I loved reading your postings and am pleased that you have both had such positive days.
Love Amy

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
A good evening

Just had to share. Eldest son and his wife (and one of three grandsons, the other two being at scout camp) arrived for the weekend.

"IS Lionel up for a visit to the local pizza place" Yes, we did go, [/B]it was not without incident but we managed it.

Theyhave gone home, Lionel is tucked up, I have had a glass or two, love:) :)

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Well done Connie. My husband became very good at walking round pub gardens, streets, carparks etc with mum, so that dad and I could chat whilst we waited for food. Once the food arrived, he and mum would return, and mum was quite happy to sit and eat.
Where there is a will, there's a way; and I do believe that it is important to show the rest of society that people with dementia are still part of that society and allowances and provisions should be made.
Love Amy

PatH

Feb 14, 2005
N.Ireland
What an experience today was! I had my chair close to Donal's with my head on his chest (just to be and feel close) He caressed my hair and face so lovingly. Lasted just a minute but was precious. I want more of these moments.

His nephew came to visit me last night and I asked him would he like to go see his uncle. The reply was 'Id rather remember him how he was.' Oh I was so angry.
I wish he could have seen him today

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Pat,
How do you respond to that? Maybe tell him "that's ok, when your in that boat I won't visit you either but will keep this moment in my memory book."
I understand that those more remote can't feel the same way as the up close care taker but it is very sad indeed when a family member won't even pay a short visit. I don't know if you nehew has children or not but you know his actions are teaching his kids how to take care of him someday!
I'm glad for your special mement though!!
Debbie

jarnee

Mar 18, 2006
leicestershire
Pat,

I DO remember my dad as he was.....as I am still making new memories with him now...treasured, precious ones, just like your wonderful moment today.

Tell your nephew he's missing out on that ( & tell him not to be so scared, cos that's what it is )

Thanks for sharing such a private moment

Jarnee

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Just a perfect day

Wanted to share with you.

Day started hesitantly, Lionel on new medication. Old friends (my best fried of 50 years) called mid morning. This seemed to perk Lionel up.

After a later lunch, newer friends called ( they only know Lionel with the illness).
How we all laughed and laughed......He was on top form.

We sat and watched Peter Pan. (hands up how many 67 year olds out there cried and shouted "I do believe in fairies") Lionel held my hand and told me off for being silly.

All this after an absolutely sh..ty, gr..ty week. Don't know what tomorrow will bring, but today was wonderful. (Thanks to friends and fate)

Love to all:)

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Connie,
I'm so glad you had a little glimpse of daylight & 'normality'. You've had such a tough time of it this year so far, & I bet we don't know the half of it!!

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Connie

What a lovely day, thanks for sharing it with us it makes us all feel so much better that there are still such days to share and remember.

Hugs

Dick

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
"I believe in Fairies!"

So do I

A friend on photo bucket .com

Made this for me .

Attachments

• th_TinkerbellNspundizzyavatar.gif
    th_TinkerbellNspundizzyavatar.gif
    241.4 KB · Views: 329

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
happy dad and triumph of logistics

Feeling pleased that we've had lovely lunch out with dad, my cousin and dad's friend. Apart from the usual obstacles of dad's dementia and deafness and incontinence etc, and need to go out loaded with spare pads, gloves, changes of clothes, we had some extra obstacles today:

It's the Sheffield half marathon so the roads that aren't already dug up for road works were closed for runners. And most of the roads affected were ones between dad's nh and the railway station where we were picking his friend up. I've never met the friend so no idea what he looked like nor he me. Nightmare trying to park anywhere and think were we could go to eat that wouldn't get in a tizz if dad was drooling a lot, and "difficult", and had disabled toilets I could take him in and served food OK for traditionalist (dad and his friend) and veggies (me and cousin).

But we DID IT! Detoured around the marathon, found dad's friend and he's really nice. Had a good lunch. Dad had fish and chips which is his absolute favourite and not something he gets much in the nh. Dad can't join in conversation much but clearly enjoyed his meal and smiled quite a lot. And at one point actually said he was happy.

When we took him back to the nh, I took his coat off, put his slippers on and put him on the bed. By the time I'd put his shoes in the wardrobe dad was fast asleep. Totally worn out, but apparently very happy :)

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
What a lovely site

Isn't a lovely site when we can feel sad for someone and then have a good laugh with somebody else. What a lifeline for those who can't go out to meetings. Carry on the good work. There's always somebody there for you.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Aine How lovely tanks for shareing

Just wanted to let you all know ,that mum came home yesterday & was not confused with her surrounding, Just not to sure of her new room ,but had a good night only woke up once banging around looking for trouser that she thought I had left in care home, I showed her them , & she went happily back to sleep .

She seem so much more relaxed & Cramer Healthy for being in the care home & so happy to be home. :)