What of the future ??

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
What of the
Future?

Hiya, now that things “seem” lol to be calming down a little it has given me time to think a little about the future. My mum is as well as can be expected considering her illnesses and Elaine and I are “trying” to settle back into some kind of normality?LOL
Spending time with my mum was precious and I wouldn’t have swapped it for the world but while I was up there both Elaine and myself possibly peeped into my possible future by watching other dementia sufferers who were living there. At least a third of them there have dementia at different stages and after witnessing the repetitiveness, the stare, the vacant, helpless and sometimes pleading look on their faces it was something we talked about at length at home.
Now anybody that knows me knows I fully intend to beat this awful disease, BUT! I was always one to hedge my bets so I asked my “Angel” Elaine what she thought the future holds for us. Elaine’s answer was and is always the same as in “we will treat every day as it comes and worry about that if and when it happens”
So now to me, what do I worry about? If my Exiba stops working my biggest fear is forgetting my wonderful family. I could not imagine my life without them. I would not want them to see the change in me and the life it brings with it, but deep down I know they would never desert me so that’s why it’s such a big fear.
I have never been or intend to be, Loud/obnoxious/ or violent or indeed very rarely swear even when I was working but that doesn’t stop me knowing a word or two!!LOL Another fear would become any or all of these things as my family don’t deserve this.
I am often asked how I can continue to be so cheerful with heart failure and Alzheimer’s hanging over my head (so to speak loll) and still have a big stupid grin on my face? My answer is always the same “I am the luckiest man alive to have led such an eventful life (my mini autobiography is here if anybody would like to read it) and to have such a wonderful caring family like I have I couldn’t have wished for a better life. Yes, times are hard, yes, a lot of pain and tears have been had and shed and yes, I will never get better and probably not see my grandchildren get married but do you know what?? If I took my last breath today I wouldn’t change a dammed thing!! And I would certainly not regret many things.
But am I scared of the future??? You bet I am, but with my family beside me and friends like you I’m sure I can face anything. And until that day comes I will fight the Alzheimer’s fight as best I can and continue to raise awareness in any way possible.
PHEW!!! I`m glad I got that off my chest!! LOL

Best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Beezed

Apr 28, 2009
Southampton
Dear Norrms,

I am always amazed at how you can look at your blessings while you are facing such a frightening future. You are truly an inspiration to us all.

I hope I can bravely face up to all life will throw at me and focus on my wonderful family too.

Stay strong my friend, we are all here for you.

Love,
Jeanne.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Day by day, one foot at a time Norms. I know that you couldn't have a better partner than Elaine, that's for sure.

Take care of yourselves. Norms, try not to worry too much. We both know how this disease affects different people in different ways. No two people have the same dementia or to the same degree. Take heart from that and bless you both for the wonderful pair you are.

xxTinaT

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Norrms,

I think it's wonderful that you have a safe place in Talking Point so that you can get it off your chest:) I really like your honesty and openness.

Love

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
always the same as in “we will treat every day as it comes and worry about that if and when it happens”

How right Elaine is to think this way. With your wonderful attitude and with Elaine at your side, I know you will continue to enjoy life to the full.
God Bless you
Love

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
how right to take one day at a time you have a great family in your corner enjoy life no one knows whats round the corner for any of us great attitude Normms and Elaine love larivy

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Thank you

Day by day i think is the only way to deal with this. 8 years ago i was at the top of my game and wanted for nothing, these days i have to rely on my benifits being paid in on time, but do you know, i am as happy now (if not happier) than i was then because i get to spend all this extra time with me family xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
The amazing thing is Norrms, that even with this disease you still live life to the full. Share the up and downs with us and help us realise what it is like to have Alzheimers.

You are clearly a glass half full person, and I know that you will continue to make the best of every precious remaining moment of your life.

By your postings on this forum I believe you have made a major impact on the national understanding of Alzheimers. Sadly there is an older generation who seem to not confront AD in the way you do.

Whatever route Alzheimers takes you down, Elaine will always know and remember the loving and amazing person you really are. By sharing this journey so openly with her, she will know what to do for the best for both of you in the future.

As you say, you have already led a full and happy life - what more could anyone wish for.

Take care

Sue

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Thank you

Thank you Sue, i am lucky in many ways and feel blessed to have lived such an eventful life, and to have met so many good friends like yourself on here, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Not entirely lucky Norrms. We all make our own luck in life.

Miserable people tend to live miserable lives, and happy people happy ones. Even in the face of adversity its all down to how we deal with it.