Wheee! Highlight of the day

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Happy Birthday Your Majesty.

Just have to share my last hour with you.

Lionel and myself settled down to watch a program on the early life of our Queen.

He was so, so animated, recalling events that he could remember, sparked off by some wonderful old footage of the queen as a young girl.

We talked about the abdication, her wedding, the coronation etc. Speech terribly muddled, not quite finishing the sentences, but he was there,reliving every moment.

We toasted The Queen on her birthday, and I have now tucked him up for the night. A lovely renewed memory for Lionel, and a special hour for us both.

Take care now, Connie

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Put that hour in your box of treasures Connie. So pleased you have had a good evening.
Amy

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Someone got a video player for mum in her room, when I put plug in it blew up the plug, few of us fix plug & care worker sorted out trip swish (spelling) still video did not work.

Then we realized that the DVD in front room in care home is a video, DVD combined , so we our all bringing in different video that our love one loved from the past tomorrow

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Connie, truly some moments to treasure. The sort you can bring out and go over in your mind on a bad hair day. Hope you get many more of these to store. Luvanhugs, She. XX

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Yesterday it was a lovel sunny afternonn and mum was wheeled onto the terrace with others to sit in the sun. Carers kept an eye on her and recounted to dad how she was looking around at everything. When N, a visitor who was also outside laughed, mum laughed out loud too. She had no idea what at, but was this an attempt at social interaction? She was happy, and brought some happiness to those who witnessed it.
Highlight? I don't know. In fact makes me feel quite sad at the moment thinking about it, but maybe it ought to be a highlight. Maybe if dad or I had been with her to share it I would feel better; Mum's journey though, and she was with her new"extended family". God I feel sad.
Amy

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Amy said:
Yesterday it was a lovel sunny afternonn and mum was wheeled onto the terrace with others to sit in the sun. Carers kept an eye on her and recounted to dad how she was looking around at everything. When N, a visitor who was also outside laughed, mum laughed out loud too. She had no idea what at, but was this an attempt at social interaction? She was happy, and brought some happiness to those who witnessed it.
Highlight? I don't know. In fact makes me feel quite sad at the moment thinking about it, but maybe it ought to be a highlight. Maybe if dad or I had been with her to share it I would feel better; Mum's journey though, and she was with her new"extended family". God I feel sad.
Amy

Hi Amy

We sat outside in the sunshine with my mum last Sunday afternoon. She initially complained that it was cold, even though it wasn't. However, I am sure it did her good to get some fresh air and sunshine.

There's not much point in me telling you not to feel sad - you feel what you feel and no one could or should try to take that away from you - but it sounds as though it was good for your mum to be outside and it is good that the staff are reporting back to you.

Let's hope there's lots more sunny days ahead for all of us and our loved ones - both literally and figuratively.

Tess

Nov 29, 2005
I live in west wales
A happy time for Mum

Last Friday, four of my Mum's sisters (she has five) plus one brother in law came to us for lunch. They live some distance away so we don't get together too often. There were 10 of us altogether, all sitting around tables in the garden, it was sunny and everyone was happy. The five 'girls' (eldest 85 and youngest 70) talked and talked about their youth, their old boyfriends, school - everything. My mum was amazing - she's 78 and :) can't remember what you told her one minute ago but she joined in the conversation big time. We laughed and laughed - partly at what was being said but mostly, I think, because it was so wonderful to see my Mum animated, joining in and being part of it all. It was like having her back again as she used to be.

A truly wonderful few hours which I am treasuring. Must start planning for future visits.

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
how wonderful for you, your aunts and your Mom ! Those are the moments we live for and the ones we want to keep in our memories !
Debbie

Angel

Apr 24, 2006
When someone in town says, 'How's your mother? She was such a lovely lady.'
I don't say that she has just given two residents in her home chinese burns! You have to laugh otherwise you'd go mad! You need the laughter to destress.
Also I get great solace when my mother despite her alzheimer's says some great truisms. I sometimes they are straight from God. Out of the mouth of...! A

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
We were talking about holidays today and I remarked that it was a good 4 hour run to the lake district.
Peg said "why can't we go in the car"?
Norman

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
My 15 year old has gone to Year 11 Prom tonight.
To see the lads who I normally taxi around filthy from football, (and have done since they were 8) all dressed up in suits, really excited as they got into the limo that they had hired - it was brilliant.
Waiting up now to make sure he gets back OK - and sober! (Alcohol does tend to be smuggled into these events, though I did hear my son in the limo say "There's some bottles of Coke!" - he prefers Coke to beer unlike some of his mates.)
Amy

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thanks for sharing with us. Hope he had a grand evening.

My eldest grandson has his in a couple of weeks time. Wish they had done that sort of thing in my day.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Took mum to a pub lunch today ,she only drank diet coke , but look so happy you would of thought she had been drinking alcohol

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Margarita, my Mum used to love a tipple too, I got round it with alcohol free wine in a nice wine glass. She even told me she had better not have any more as she was getting squiffy a few times bless her. Glad your day was a success. Norm, so your in training for the next marathon then eh!! Amy, its moments like their first prom that are real heart wrenchers, one minute they are tiny in your arms, the next, all grown up. Hope you got some photos! Lotsaluv, She. XX:)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sheila

Don’t know if you can help me understand mum ,but she has a crash on a young man in her care home & she gets really upset if he does not visit his dad because she can not see him , even saying she wants to come home ,because she wants to forget him . ,is this usual for someone my mother age 74 ,his 47 .or is this part of AZ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC