Update on Lionel

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear, dear Connie, my heart goes out to you. Poor Lionel, how awful to be so unhappy.

And poor you, I know how you feel, walking away from him.:(

But cutting through cables, and setting fire to yourself? Connie, please take care of yourself, you are very precious to us all here.

Love and hugs, my love,

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I am beginning to think it is taking it's toll on me too.

How could it not?

You're such a caring, selfless and capable person that it is bound to deplete you - you are carrying your man at all times, even if not physically.

It's easy to cut the cables - I had my trimmer out this afternoon and I always drape the cable back over my shoulder. Then I just need to count my arms when I've finished.

Please take care.

xx

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Dear Connie

I do hope you have a better day tomorrow - sounds like it couldn't be much worse!!

You are always so supportive of everyone else - just sending you love and (((HUGS)))

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Dear Connie

So sorry to hear about Lionel,so glad that you did not come to any serious harm what with your hedge trimmers and then setting your robe on fire,please look after yourself and take good care Marian xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Connie - just like everyone else - thinking of you and sending love and hugs. Do take care. Izzyx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
My love to you Connie. It is hardly surpising that your mind is not on things. You have born so much with such courage and strength. May you have the strength to get through this next phase my love. Lionel is being very well looked after. There is little you can do that you are not already doing Connie. He is surrounded by caring people.

You need to take care of yourself. You are the one left alone worrying. I wish to goodness I could do something to help you. You have done so much for so many here on TP.

xxTinaT

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Connie, I'm sorry to hear of Lionel's seizure. The sobbing must be terrible for both of you.

"When will this long journey end" - and yet I cannot bear to contemplate.

So apt. :(

I cut right through the electric cable of my hedge trimmer yesterday

I did that a couple of years ago, and didn't have the circuit breaker on. :eek: It took me a few minutes to work out why it had stopped working and why all the electrics had gone off in the house! :eek: These days everything is cordless.

Please take care of yourself. xx

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Connie,my love just read about Lionels latest siezure, it seems to be par for the course but the medics never warn us that this is so, well not in our case, think both our special men are at the same stage in this cruel illness, and yes it does effect our health more than i will ever admit to,After a bad siezure trev is usually more lucid for a few days , as if an electric current has brought him back for a few hours, does this happen with lionel, just wanted you to know i think of you both often and you both sitting in your lovely beach hut, I want Trev here for my
sake but not sure it is best for him, but what will be will be,loveto you both pam

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear friends, thank you all so much for your kind thoughts for my dear Lionel, and myself.

Pam, I think someone else, maybe Skye (Hazel) had mentioned more alertness after a seizure, similar to Trev's reaction maybe.

This does not seem to happen with Lionel, and yet the sobbing yesterday was almost as though he was aware of what was going on around him. So maybe something happens in the brain, I do not know.

The seizures come out of the blue, and coupled with TIAs, are taking their toll, but he is young with very strong organs. His BP and pluse rate are better than mine.

Why is life so cruel to some?

Take care now, and stay strong, all of you.

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
Sending hugs Connie. Steve had several seizures a couple of years ago but hasn't had any since. I don't get on here enough to read all the posts and reply unfortunately but keep an eye on how things are going and want to send best wishes to everyone.

Sue x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
As some of you I have been unable to visit Lionel as often as I would like due to my own health problems.

When I saw him three weeks ago I commented that he looked somewhat thinner in the face and that there was no recognition of myself, but all in all a good visit.

Saw him again on Monday and I was shocked to tears. His little face was sallow, with hollowed cheeks and prominent bones. I knew that his eating was hit and miss, but know also that the home would be getting calories into him one way or another.
I can now circle his ankles with my thumb and finger.
I do realise that this is just another step down in the progress of the illness.

The home had called the doctor anyway on Monday morning, as they were concerned about sounds from his chest. My driver was more than happy for me to stay untill the doctor turned up late afternoon.

He listened to his chest and back, but Lionel cannot cough or take a deep breath to order. He just would not understand. The doctor was inclined to leave well alone (Lionel is very calm and comfortable), and to visit again on the Wednesday as he could not be certain that it was not food on his chest, rather than an infection.

However the manageress pushed for antibiotics in case it was an infection, whilt I was agreeing with the doctor that it is the nature of the illness. He last had a chest infection in Aug.08
so he had gone all through last winter fine..

The home provides such an excellent quality of care, for which I am so very grateful, but no one can give quality of life where there is none. (Sorry if that does not concide with your thought)
I just need him to be kept calm and comfortable with no intervention.
He is stable tonight.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Connie,
You are as serene and gracious as always. A very difficult time for you but you face it so bravely. As long as Lionel is comfortable, you can ask for nothing more.
Much love,