Breaking point

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Kathy, Sending love and hoping that you managed to get some rest after such a dreadful night.

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Kathy, what an awful time you're having. I hope you got a good night's sleep in the end, and things are better this morning.

One thought, did anyone check for UTI? Because the way Philip sounds is exactly the way John was with his infection. If they haven't done a culture, I'd get one done as soon as possible.

Love,

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Thank you all. Yes, I had a good night's sleep in the end (fell asleep in front of the TV and still don't know the result :mad:)

Have taken yet another morning off work, as I need to fit some shopping in somehow, and then the SW at 12.00. Keeping all fingers and toes crossed that he'll give me some more help. Otherwise I'll go into a residential home!:rolleyes:

Kathy

Rosalind

Jul 2, 2005
Wiltshire
Kathy I was outraged by your social worker! I don't know if your singing includes drama, but I really think you need to lay it on thick that you are close to breaking point. At one stage when I was having a slightly similar treatment I gave detailed instructions of how I planned to kill myself - I was quite calm, but pointed out that the railway line was close, and easily accessible, and it would be quick, although tough on the train driver. That brought about some fairly rapid results.

I completely sympathise with your need for time alone in your own home. When Guy was still at home, and before he was too far down the line, he was on the Parish Council. I know he contributed nothing to meetings, and think it was kind of them to keep him on, but those two hours one Monday a month were so precious.

Have you been in touch with your local Carer's Association? I found them a comfort, although I drew the line at social events for carers that included 'making your own Christmas Cards'. I outgrew glue and glitter some time back. But knowing they were there, and on my side, was great.

You will get out the other side eventually, so hang on in there.

Rosalind

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Morning Kathy,

Glad to read that Philip is sorted and you had some sleep.

Hope it all goes well with the SW...fingers crossed for you!

Love xx

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Thanks. He's late, of course :mad: I might just throw him on the railway line when he gets here. Would have to drag him there for a fair way though.

Rosalind

Jul 2, 2005
Wiltshire
Hope he has been by now. I come dangerously close to clouting any SW or the like who, on leaving, instructs me to 'Take Care'. Davina's hair product ad that ends with Take Care has me wanting to chuck things at the box.

Rosalind

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Update

Hi all. I didn't get a chance to post sooner.
The most disappointing thing about the SW visit was finding out that Day Care Centres are not available at weekends in our area :(. I felt that this was hugely discriminatory against working carers. I haven't had time to look up private providers. There must be some.

We discussed getting some help in the mornings and evenings (I haven't managed to get to work at 9.00 for weeks now, as the agency carer comes in from 10 to 5). If Philip goes to a care centre a couple of times during the week, it will save me some agency fees which I can then use for some help at weekends. If not a care centre, then at least an agency worker for one day. This wouldn't give time to myself in my home, but at least time to go out for the odd treat.

I asked about Self-Directed Support which, according to a Council/NHS leaflet, was supposed to kick in last August here. I was told that SDS hadn't gone live yet. I told him that my Carers' Support manager was getting her father assessed for SDS next week.

The next day he sent me an e-mail containing the following:
I have discussed your husband's "case" with my manager. She holds the view that it might be worth waiting until next week to calculate his personal budget under SDS. As I said, we have not gone live yet, but will get the software installed next week.
As this was on Friday, I hadn't expected anything to happen before next week anyway!

And then...!!!
I cannot promise that the personal budget will be more than you get now. The problem is that everything above benchmark, which is the rate a care home might charge, has to go to panel. They would probably argue that your husband should go into permanent care when he needs constant supervision. I don't think that would do him any good as he seems to be very devoted to you
I don't understand the benchmark jargon, but this sounds to me like they'd be prepared to pay for him to go into permanent care? And therefore they'd contribute to a home of my choice (as long as they agree that it would meet Philip's needs) up to the LA limit?

My posts always turn out very long. In short, does anyone have experience with SDS?